Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oct. 17 - Model 3 Reveal Pt. 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always wondered what is so difficult of v2g, correct me if i am wrong. But, couldn't the charger simply reverse the flow at a slightly higher voltage at 40amps. The biggest problem in my opinion is the possibility of shock of risk down the line in a power outage. But, couldn't tesla design a special evse and a special off beaker to the grid to allow v2g in in outage?

I've always wondered what is so difficult of v2g, correct me if i am wrong. But, couldn't the charger simply reverse the flow at a slightly higher voltage at 40amps. The biggest problem in my opinion is the possibility of shock of risk down the line in a power outage. But, couldn't tesla design a special evse and a special off beaker to the grid to allow v2g in in outage?

The main difficulty to me is that EV is DC, and current grid is AC. The electronics to covert AC to DC is completely different from what is needed to convert DC to AC, it's not something that you just run in the charger in reverse direction to use the AC to charge the grid.

However if there is some kind of solar installation, which is also DC, then you will have this DC to AC conversion component available. Then doing V2G could be much easier.

The main difficulty to me is that EV is DC, and current grid is AC. The electronics to covert AC to DC is completely different from what is needed to convert DC to AC, it's not something that you just run in reverse direction
Hmm didint know that, but i wonder if they could design a charger that does just that. Perhaps a small 3.3kw converter, or maybe use the converter for the ac motor?

With all the establishment media hype that the Bolt "beats" the M3 in range and so many other ways, I was kinda hoping on Monday Musk would simply walk out onto an empty stage and say, "Our extensive testing of M3 prototypes over the last few months and our newfound, cost effective ability to put a 70 kWh battery (that is unlockable to 85 kWh) in the base model that will still bring a handsome profit margin has established that the true min/max EPA range for the M3 will be 260-300 miles. Enough of this nonsense, Forbes, Barron's and Seeking Alpha, that Chevy's lame econo-bubble will beat the 3 in any way, shape or form."
Drops mic, walks off.

• Love
Reactions: Red Sage
Do you guys mean Vehicle to 220v AC?

Where would you install the inverter? in the car?

The batteries are DC. You have to convert AC to DC somewhere. Why put an inverter in every car and raise the price.

How would an inverter in the car vs. an inverter at the charger speed up the charging time or be more efficient? 220V AC has to be converted to be converted to DC. There are no AC batteries.

Do you guys mean Vehicle to 220v AC?

Where would you install the inverter? in the car?

The batteries are DC. You have to convert AC to DC somewhere. Why put an inverter in every car and raise the price.

How would an inverter in the car vs. an inverter at the charger speed up the charging time or be more efficient? 220V AC has to be converted to be converted to DC. There are no AC batteries.
I think you'll find that there is already an inverter in every car.
The thing on the wall is just a fancy interlock to stop folks electrocuting themselves.
It doesn't convert anything, so that incoming 220V @40amp is AC which is converted to DC by the car.
Most of the V2G solutions are really about managing the transfer rather that any conversion :)

Reactions: Red Sage
I think you'll find that there is already an inverter in every car.
The thing on the wall is just a fancy interlock to stop folks electrocuting themselves.
It doesn't convert anything, so that incoming 220V @40amp is AC which is converted to DC by the car.
Most of the V2G solutions are really about managing the transfer rather that any conversion :)
Thanks for the explanation.

Managing the transfer? What does that mean? Another type of plug?

Thanks for the explanation.

Managing the transfer? What does that mean? Another type of plug?
Really the EVSE on the wall is all about the one way connection TO the car.
The V2G systems work with either the house system (for battery/solar), or the grid to manage when and how much energy is sold back to the grid.
The theory goes you should be able to allow your V2G system to negotiate when your car charges to suit the grid best, or in times of need pull power from your car to offset a high grid consumption peak.
With all those 60-100 KWh batteries sitting around in peoples garages the potential is quite significant.

The issue most point out is that Tesla Motors currently offers 'FREE for LIFE!' Supercharger access to a whole bunch of Generation II vehicle owners. Tesla probably wouldn't want too many people powering their house from their car, which is powered by Superchargers.

Me? I just think Vehicle to Home (V2H) and Vehicle to Grid (V2G) are just incredibly dumb ideas.

54f0d9d889efa_-_01-millertinyhouse-048-edit1-lgn.jpg

tiny-living-tiny-house-exterior-1.jpg

shipping-container-studio-6.jpg

20-Ft-Recycled-Shipping-Container-TH-For-Sale-001.jpg

the-little-red-house-13.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm now leaning towards a Model 3 Reveal Part II. A couple days ago, there were some updates to the Model 3 Reservation Page, suggesting that users might be able to soon take some action on the Model 3. If Tesla reveals the Model 3 and lets us start configuring our cars, couldn't they then lock in our $1000 deposits? If Tesla locks in 400k or more deposits, would that be enough to justify pushing back their capital raise a quarter or two?

This would pad Tesla's available cash, and boost investor confidence in "real" demand for the Model 3. When Tesla does need to raise more cash, they'll have more leverage. Tesla would also have a better idea of part orders needed for Model 3 options.

That said, I have no comeback for "then why wouldn't Monday have been a bigger, invitation-based event." Which probably means I'm wrong.