Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oct. 17 - Model 3 Reveal Pt. 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issue most point out is that Tesla Motors currently offers 'FREE for LIFE!' Supercharger access to a whole bunch of Generation II vehicle owners. Tesla probably wouldn't want too many people powering their house from their car, which is powered by Superchargers.

Me? I just think Vehicle to Home (V2H) and Vehicle to Grid (V2G) are just incredibly dumb ideas.

54f0d9d889efa_-_01-millertinyhouse-048-edit1-lgn.jpg

tiny-living-tiny-house-exterior-1.jpg

shipping-container-studio-6.jpg

20-Ft-Recycled-Shipping-Container-TH-For-Sale-001.jpg

the-little-red-house-13.jpeg
the wife and I are investigating small/tiny houses (around 400 sq ft) and plopping one down on some land in the mountains. we're going to look into having the ability to be completely off-grid, but still tied in. (so, solar...) i've never once considered the tesla being able to power the house. that's just bad juju, should you need to leave for any reason.

Whatever they have in the car it does converts DC to AC from the battery to the motor when the cars is driving/accelerating, and AC to DC from the motor to the battery when the car is regenerating.
precisely The motor is AC and the input from the house is AC - only the battery is DC so all the hardware is already in the car.
That's why there is so much interest in V2G solutions.
Many of the solutions don't even pull power out of the batteries, all they do is alter the charging speed and timing to make sure the car charges at the cheapest time for the user and the grid.
This stuff is getting more and more important as power providers are starting to realize that as a larger proportion of their customers are now using electricity for transport and its delivered to cars in great big gobs at once.
The more EV drivers the bigger the problem they have. So they need a way to have some control of when (and how fast) that big kW dump takes place.

the wife and I are investigating small/tiny houses (around 400 sq ft) and plopping one down on some land in the mountains. we're going to look into having the ability to be completely off-grid, but still tied in. (so, solar...) i've never once considered the tesla being able to power the house. that's just bad juju, should you need to leave for any reason.
Exactly. I grew up in a place where power outages due to thunderstorms, floods, and tornadoes were rather commonplace anytime there was a hurricane off the coast of Florida. I consider V2H to be the equivalent of saying you should siphon gas from your car to power a generator for the house. Personally, I'd rather keep my 'fuel' in the tank of the car, and drive a couple States West during an emergency instead.

I do like the idea of having a tiny house though. My Brother recently purchased a 40' container he intends to convert to housing on a little parcel of land he owns. I expect it will be really nice when he's done.

I especially like this example:

Reactions: plankeye
This stuff is getting more and more important as power providers are starting to realize that as a larger proportion of their customers are now using electricity for transport and its delivered to cars in great big gobs at once. The more EV drivers the bigger the problem they have. So they need a way to have some control of when (and how fast) that big kW dump takes place.
I understand why a utility would want to have that control. I am more understanding of why I don't want them to have it.

I understand why a utility would want to have that control. I am more understanding of why I don't want them to have it.
I can understand that - which is why most of the discussions I have seen also involve a tariff incentive.
If you let them control the charge, you pay less.

The problem they are trying to solve is the "uneducated" user who comes home from work and charges immediately, which would be the worst time of the day. If large chunks of population do that the peak load would become unsustainable.
For me, as long as I have the charge I need, at the time I need it so I can get to work then I'm happy. If it cost me less money, so much the better.
As BEV's get more mainstream, the idiot user scenario is much more likely. If it becomes an issue for the grid then we won't get the choice.

Reactions: Red Sage
Part of the reason a utility wants that control is because power sources have to be carefully matched (voltage and phase) to the grid, otherwise bad things happen. And it should be able to disconnect quickly if some sort of mismatch or fault is detected.

• Informative
Exactly. I grew up in a place where power outages due to thunderstorms, floods, and tornadoes were rather commonplace anytime there was a hurricane off the coast of Florida. I consider V2H to be the equivalent of saying you should siphon gas from your car to power a generator for the house. Personally, I'd rather keep my 'fuel' in the tank of the car, and drive a couple States West during an emergency instead.

I do like the idea of having a tiny house though. My Brother recently purchased a 40' container he intends to convert to housing on a little parcel of land he owns. I expect it will be really nice when he's done.

I especially like this example:
we're still fairly young...

so the plan is to buy the land, put a tiny house on it for vacations, and when I'm a littler closer to retirement, put up about a 1200-1300 sq ft cabin on it. Both the tiny house and cabin will rely heavily on solar, whether we're selling back to the grid, or eventually buying a Powerwall

Welcome to the club! 400 sq. ft. house, 11 kWh solar, grid tied, they pay me back every year. And I live at 1500', which in some states would be a "mountain". And I use the Tesla to drive, not to power my house. About 28,000 miles per year.

It would be cool if, (with the addition of a Tesla Power wall) you could pull dc power from the car in the event of a blackout and go to emergency power. Im sure Tesla has figured out how to manage the flow of electricity, to not shock the individual fixing the power lines. This is in my opinion the biggest liability for any home owner or company. And, as far as i'm aware that's the primary reason solar pannels are not allowed to function when the grid goes down. Perhaps drawing 1800 watts, powering your fridge, lights, internet and cell phones.

It would be cool if, (with the addition of a Tesla Power wall) you could pull dc power from the car in the event of a blackout and go to emergency power. Im sure Tesla has figured out how to manage the flow of electricity, to not shock the individual fixing the power lines. This is in my opinion the biggest liability for any home owner or company. And, as far as i'm aware that's the primary reason solar pannels are not allowed to function when the grid goes down. Perhaps drawing 1800 watts, powering your fridge, lights, internet and cell phones.
Managing the flow of power is standard stuff these days. Look up "Grid Tie Solar" and you'll see it's all over the place. There are also a bunch of terms in the National Electric Code that pertain to keeping the electric company workers (and you) safe under all sorts of scenarios.

Nissan has had the ability to pull power from a LEAF since the 2011 earthquake in Japan, and I have heard that the capability to do so is baked into the CHAdeMO standard (i.e. not proprietary). I expect it wouldn't be too hard to do the same with the Tesla Supercharging protocol too, something they could easily integrate into the Power Wall. Imagine a Power Wall with a 100kwh battery, or in reverse, a slightly more efficient home HPWC by bypassing the car's AC-based charger.

Managing the flow of power is standard stuff these days. Look up "Grid Tie Solar" and you'll see it's all over the place. There are also a bunch of terms in the National Electric Code that pertain to keeping the electric company workers (and you) safe under all sorts of scenarios.

Nissan has had the ability to pull power from a LEAF since the 2011 earthquake in Japan, and I have heard that the capability to do so is baked into the CHAdeMO standard (i.e. not proprietary). I expect it wouldn't be too hard to do the same with the Tesla Supercharging protocol too, something they could easily integrate into the Power Wall. Imagine a Power Wall with a 100kwh battery, or in reverse, a slightly more efficient home HPWC by bypassing the car's AC-based charger.

Then, it is only a manner of time before tesla develops such as system. The Tesla plug is by far the most advanced in its design and capacity. It is currently able to theoretically, charge at 150kw. I think 200-250kw charging speed should be the target, it seems pointless to make batteries bigger than 100kw for use in personal cars. It seems more worthwhile to improve efficiency or reduce weight. At those rate a 100kwh battery should be able to charge in about 30 min, even faster at 250kw. It seems then that the target for tesla is getting the batteries to be able to charge with minimal taper. This is especially important with the upcoming model III. I also think, that Tesla should have massive battery storage at its superchargers. To reduce the draw on the grid and improving charging capacity.

Reactions: JOEV1
Im just throwing this out there, Tesla wall charger 2.0. Power-wall mixed with home charger. Battery back up in case of blackouts and the battery will hold enough power to fast charge for quicker charging off 110 and 220 v
There is another unveiling/product announcement jointly with Tesla and SolarCity at the end of this month. I would suspect all of what you are stating would be better suited for that announcement.

The unveiling tomorrow is still a mystery to almost everyone.

V2G was implemented years ago in Japan for the Nissan Leaf. There's nothing technically challenging about it. I think it was limited here due to some regulation more than a technical obstacle.

V2G (or house) is great for backup power in case of a blackout. Well, if it were actually available on a car I could justify buying a used Nissan Leaf as a "Powerwall." to offset my Peak usage and allow my PV system to sell back all of its Peak generation. Used Leafs (Leaves) are so cheap now you can't beat the $/KwH ratio. Plus, extra car just in case.

with over 400k + reservations and probably half are going to have range anxiety, they are going to have to come up with something to help it, other than adding more superchargers. Just a little power jump for a quick charge option from home.