Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

October 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you're saying there's a chance... Please grant me usb-c ports oh great Tesla delivery god.
There's more than a chance. I think everything is overblown online. I feel like I waited the perfect amount of time to get one. Forget being an early adopter. Technology moves too fast. Been driving it two days now and it's incredible. Zero issues found except those two super minor things.

The day they pass the credit, resale values will drop due due to the $8K discount on new Ys. Better to sell before congress passes the bill. Best yet, hold out until Jan 1 if you can.
I don’t believe this will be the case at all…yes there may be a “discount” but some people don’t qualify for the credit, also chip shortage will continue for a couple of years. Value won’t drop. People want to buy cars and get them quicker than waiting months and months.

I don’t believe this will be the case at all…yes there may be a “discount” but some people don’t qualify for the credit, also chip shortage will continue for a couple of years. Value won’t drop. People want to buy cars and get them quicker than waiting months and months.
All other factors held constant, resale prices will drop when the tax credits become a reality. How could they not? It’s simple economics. Suppose there are buyers willing to pay 10K above new just to get their car now. Drop the price of the new car by 8K due to the tax credit and now many of these buyers (the ones who qualify for the credit) would need to justify spending 18K more than the price of a new vehicle. This will cause some to decide to wait for the new car, forcing some resellers to drop the price of their used car. These market forces remain the same regardless of chip shortages, etc.

Of course the other factors will not be constant. Tesla could continue to raise their prices in response to the credit, which seems likely. I believe that some of the increases we’ve seen are already in anticipation of these credits, though there could be more. They will also ramp up production in Austin soon, boosting the supply of available new cars and shortening the wait time. But the market force of the 8K credit will still be there, affecting the price of both new and used cars (which don’t qualify for a credit yet). This is an interesting time where someone can buy a car and then turn around and sell it for 10K. It won’t last. Eventually the adage about a car losing 10% of its value after it is driven off the lot will be true again.

My order got moved WAY up from March all the way to December 14-31. Hoping I can delay to maybe February without being put all the way in the back of the queue. I informed my SA about it and he said

I would def wait. If Tesla reaches out to you and asks if you’re ready for delivery between 12/14-12/31 then reply “no, I would like it by x month”

MYLR • Black/White • Induction Wheels • No FSD • No Tow

Completed profile 10/05/21 • EDD Feb 10 - Mar 10EDD Jan 26 - Feb 23EDD Mar 01 - Mar 29EDD Dec 14 - Dec 31

Reactions: Haselsmasher
All other factors held constant, resale prices will drop when the tax credits become a reality. How could they not? It’s simple economics. Suppose there are buyers willing to pay 10K above new just to get their car now. Drop the price of the new car by 8K due to the tax credit and now many of these buyers (the ones who qualify for the credit) would need to justify spending 18K more than the price of a new vehicle. This will cause some to decide to wait for the new car, forcing some resellers to drop the price of their used car. These market forces remain the same regardless of chip shortages, etc.

Of course the other factors will not be constant. Tesla could continue to raise their prices in response to the credit, which seems likely. I believe that some of the increases we’ve seen are already in anticipation of these credits, though there could be more. They will also ramp up production in Austin soon, boosting the supply of available new cars and shortening the wait time. But the market force of the 8K credit will still be there, affecting the price of both new and used cars (which don’t qualify for a credit yet). This is an interesting time where someone can buy a car and then turn around and sell it for 10K. It won’t last. Eventually the adage about a car losing 10% of its value after it is driven off the lot will be true again.
Values will drop some, but not fully, and not instantly. Also, supply from Austin could affect used prices but significant supply out of there isn’t likely for several months, prob second quarter.