Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus ‘Go’ getting paid to use Electricity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to give a sense of how it looks from the Agile perspective...
upload_2020-5-21_21-8-47.png

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
(I just posted this in the other Octopus thread but it looks appropriate here ..)

Received an email from Octopus offering to pay me for using electricity this Sunday ... that's very nice of them ... it's somewhat counterintuitive to find that you can "do them a favour" by using power! I've signed up for the 5am to 7am slot when they'll pay 5p a kWh for electricity used. A lower rate is of 2p per kWh is available for 2pm to 4pm. (you choose one slot or the other) I don't think you can take advantage unless you receive the invitation directly.

I left it too late to start charging my car, was in a meeting at work and forgot about it until 3pm. Oh well, should be able to get to 70% and save myself ~25p

Need to get myself acclimatised to this “paid to use electricity” bizarro world. :)

I left it too late to start charging my car, was in a meeting at work and forgot about it until 3pm. Oh well, should be able to get to 70% and save myself ~25p

Need to get myself acclimatised to this “paid to use electricity” bizarro world. :)

Yeah, exactly, it's still pennies, so nothing worth crying about. Just makes the vs diesel cost stats even more impressive, though.

Currently -11.30p/ kWh. I am as we speak charging our other electric car, have turned on the immersion heater, the dishwasher, the clothes drier and the (empty) oven.

Current consumption 9.7kW, rising to 12.55 kW while the kettle is on.

Have I forgotten anything? Perhaps I should open the fridge door...

Last edited:
Currently -11.30p/ kWh. I am as we speak charging our other electric car, have turned on the immersion heater, the dishwasher, the clothes drier and the (empty) oven.

Current consumption 9.7kW, rising to 12.55 kW while the kettle is on.

Have I forgotten anything? Perhaps I should open the fridge door...

Does your kettle really use 2.85kWh? 3 of them will draw more than your car!

Not saying mine doesn't btw, I know they draw a lot just usually for a short period.

We've done 3 washes and tumbles, charging the car from 15% and running the pyrolytic function on the oven. Got to a pathetic 6.3kW usage in an hour yesterday so wondering if I'll top it today.

Laundry basket is empty anyway.

Was funny driving back on the motorway past a load of turbines, knowing that in 15 mins they'd be recharging the car.

Reactions: Cogarch and davidmc
Does anyone know if Octopus will swap the bearing in your meter for free? Mine was probably smoking earlier and I think I’ll need a new one!

I don’t know how ethical this competition is? I got up to 13.3kW at one point. *Everything* on. Glad my cut-out is 80Amps and not 60Amps otherwise I’d be cutting it fine.

Consumption today 64kWh.

Reactions: Cogarch and Roy W.