Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus ‘Go’ getting paid to use Electricity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little surprised that tomorrow's (Saturday 9th) agile rates (Southern) are not as cheap as one would perhaps expect if there is an apparent surplus of electrons. In fact, it looks like it's actually the most expensive day of the month so far.

A little surprised that tomorrow's (Saturday 9th) agile rates (Southern) are not as cheap as one would perhaps expect if there is an apparent surplus of electrons. In fact, it looks like it's actually the most expensive day of the month so far.

Check my earlier post (#19)...

Sizewell agreed to cut their production in half and the emergency powers were approved to let the grid cut off input from the renewables if needed...

Net result is there is no longer going to be a large excess.

The Octopus offer is 1 hr where they pay you 5p/ kWh. At 7kWh max charge rate, that means I'll get 35p. Hardly worth getting excited about.

For those on ‘Go’ this is an experiment, so there were different offers to different groups of people, with different durations, time of day and price.

Also don’t forget to add in the normal cost of the power at your time of day...

So the Agile prices are in, close but no negative pricing. Still cheap though.

Told my Ohme not to charge above 1.5p/kWh.

I switched from Go to Agile about 2 weeks ago, and I'd say we're paying between 1/3 - 1/2 on electricity than we were in the weeks proceeding that..

No day has come in more expensive yet.

for good pricing on Monday too.

• Informative
Reactions: tj333 and gangzoom
So the Agile prices are in, close but no negative pricing. Still cheap though.

Told my Ohme not to charge above 1.5p/kWh.

I switched from Go to Agile about 2 weeks ago, and I'd say we're paying between 1/3 - 1/2 on electricity than we were in the weeks proceeding that..

No day has come in more expensive yet.

for good pricing on Monday too.

Do you mind actually posting your final electricity bill before and after the switch?

I keep seeing people say Agile has halved their bill but the last time someone posted an actual Octopus bill it turned out they were paying more than me (Bulb E7) for using less electricity over the same period.

This is my bill last month, our solar PVs generated most of our electricity.

49808772221_599b630894_b_d.jpg

Do you mind actually posting your final electricity bill before and after the switch?

Here's mine; average cost over the whole bill (~10 weeks) for electricity is 4.74x1.05=4.98p/kWh (that's with 3,600 M3 miles in first 6 weeks and very little for last 4 weeks- I think it would have roughly worked out the same with continued EV usage and not working from home bringing down avg cost Vs prices being higher in non-lockdown world).

Capture+_2020-05-10-07-18-34~3.png

Everyone's use case, and therefore best tariff, may be different. I see Bulb E7 on my area is 8.2p/kWh night and 16.0p/kWh day. I guess would have worked out roughly twice the cost for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: gangzoom

I keep seeing people say Agile has halved their bill but the last time someone posted an actual Octopus bill it turned out they were paying more than me (Bulb E7) for using less electricity over the same period.

This is my bill last month, our solar PVs generated most of our electricity.

I've been on Agile since the last few days of December so can share the data from the meter readings I have for 2020.

kWh used - 3498.787
Days accounted for - 127

Agile Cost - £248.57 (0.071p/kWh including standing charge)

Bulb E7 Cost - £480.51 (0.137p/kWh including standing charge)

Calculations for E7 has the split of...
1542.932 kWh off peak
1955.855 kWh peak

E7 may work for some but I have no PV and work from home

edit: multiplied the wrong number for peak usage so the E7 price has been reduced slightly

Last edited:
^Thanks, the overall rate of 5p is cheap and much better than Go. Is Agile still only a 'trial' traiff?

Yeah I switched from Go, just done some sums and on that my avg was 6.7p/kWh, but I was probably the perfect Go user, charging for 3-4 hrs most nights.

I don't think Agile is a trial, there's no limit on signing up to it (other than smart meter). It is branded as an 'Innovative' tariff - whatever that means in practice! (If you do decide to switch you know where to come for referral :))

It is important to consider exactly when you are using grid power in your case.

If you are using the gird to top up your solar solution during high usage in the 4-7pm period then you will be worse off on Agile.

If you are using the gird overnight to charge a battery for example then you will be better off on Agile but not by a lot.

Is there an Agile and Powerwall integration that happens automatically or would I have to manually manage PW charging times?

Nope. I’m on Agile with a Powerwall 2 and the AI that runs the PW takes a while to sort itself out after setting changes. As such it doesn’t like being changed to try to take advantage of a transitory plunge pricing event.

If you had the backup gateway you could potentially change the reserve capacity to force the PW to charge maybe...

Personally I have the PW set to ‘off peak’ between 0:00 and 06:00 causing it to charge then. This is when generation is usually the least carbon intensive.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Octopus are again sending out email invites for two hours of “better than free” electricity in a demand side response trial for this coming Sunday 24th May.

I’ve opted for two hours 0500-0700, and getting paid 5p a unit ;)

I’ll be charging my Model 3 for the first time since 6th April...