Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus ‘Go’ getting paid to use Electricity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any use between 16:00 and 19:00 is penalised and so any savings made during the rest of the day would be completely wiped out, so Agile is not for you.

You might want to consider the Octopus Tracker tariff though.

I politely disagree! Even with 'high' domestic usage 4-7pm, unless you're a low electric mileage (which it sounds like not with 2 EVs) then your EV usage will far outweigh your domestic usage, and savings during off-peak will outweigh domestic usage 4-7pm.

Having Smart Meter and Scottish Power EV Charger fitted Today, would like to cancel my Fixed Rate EON Electricity (£30) and probably move to Octopus Go, have no Solar, fairly high consumption (2 Teenagers at home) obviously know I will make a saving charging the Tesla off peak, Octopus Go looking like it may be good choice still any thoughts appreciated and a referral code would be nice.

Having Smart Meter and Scottish Power EV Charger fitted Today, would like to cancel my Fixed Rate EON Electricity (£30) and probably move to Octopus Go, have no Solar, fairly high consumption (2 Teenagers at home) obviously know I will make a saving charging the Tesla off peak, Octopus Go looking like it may be good choice still any thoughts appreciated and a referral code would be nice.

I've sent you a referral code by DM. General advice is to use Octopus Agile for now however you can track your usage and prices of Agile vs Go with this site:

Octopus Comparison

Reactions: metropolis
The choice between GO and Agile is really about convenience for me. I’ve so far stuck with GO because I prefer the known, fixed charging window, rather than monitoring the Agile prices on a daily basis.

Reactions: TJ63 and metropolis
I've sent you a referral code by DM. General advice is to use Octopus Agile for now however you can track your usage and prices of Agile vs Go with this site:

Octopus Comparison
Thanks, have sighed up with Octopus using referral link, I have had to sign up with an interim Tariff first (went for Agile) any idea how long it takes to move to Agile?

Had a SmartView 2 Meter and a Wallbox Pulsar installed this morning.

For those of you on Agile - seems to me that plunge pricing happens more commonly in summer months (presumably due to solar input into the grid) than winter. As a family we use less peak rate electric in the summer months as tend to use the BBQ more than the oven.
Octopus allow you to switch tariffs with ease and no penalty. Would a lot of us be better off with Agile April-August and Go the rest of the time?
Food for thought perhaps.
Jon

Thanks, have sighed up with Octopus using referral link, I have had to sign up with an interim Tariff first (went for Agile) any idea how long it takes to move to Agile?

Had a SmartView 2 Meter and a Wallbox Pulsar installed this morning.
Thanks! That's my first referral.

IIRC, on the first day of your move to Octopus you can change your tarriff within your account with no human assistance required. Changes in tarriff occur at midnight after you make the change.

They make it really easy to move tarriff and in theory I think you could probably choose which days of the week you wanted to be on Agile vs Go if you remembered to login to your account each day, not that you should though.

I'm finding it much cheaper on agile currently, there's 4 of us in the house all day, home office, lots of electric use and we just avoid putting the dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer on between 4pm-7pm. There's tools out there that will compare your actual consumption on the various tarriffs they provide to give you an indication as to whether you're still on the right one.

The Octopus Watch app is great for seeing daily consumption and bills and if going with agile 'Octopus Agile' is a simple app for checking the 30 minute rates.

I’m sure others will have this email too. I’m not on Octopus ‘Agile’ I’m on ‘Go’ but will get paid to use electricity on Sunday and do my bit to help keep the country’s electricity on. Amazing. Loving even more.

View attachment 539443 View attachment 539444 View attachment 539445

P.S. usual Octopus referral code available if you want one (I’ve got to at least try!)

So, how exactly does consuming electricity between 3am and 6am - when there is no solar energy input to the Grid - help the alleged problem of reduced energy consumption due to Covid19-induced inactivity coupled with increased renewable energy in sunny weather?

Because they do not have to pay the more expensive suppliers to curtail their generation when demand drops below contracted generation.

Most of it is low carbon and what is not (gas) would probably have been being used irrespective.

Its cheaper to use it than stop generating it.

Option 1: Do nothing. Grid out of whack. Overvoltage/frequency probs leads to blackouts for safety reasons.
Option 2: Reduce generating capacity. Due to the contracts signed this is expensive for National Grid.
Option 3: Use more / increase demand with negative pricing.

So, how exactly does consuming electricity between 3am and 6am - when there is no solar energy input to the Grid - help the alleged problem of reduced energy consumption due to Covid19-induced inactivity coupled with increased renewable energy in sunny weather?

The message was kind of generic.

As the OP wrote, they're on the Octopus Go tariff, which is a tariff with cheap night-time electricity.
Their offer for being paid 3am to 6am was because of excess power from _wind_.

Normally it's just people on the Octopus _Agile_ tariff, who have the variable pricing, who could benefit from plunge pricing. Those on that tariff were receiving similar messages, but with different people receiving different offers. Agile customers would have benefited from the combination of low demand, high solar production and high wind production with low prices during the day.

For those of you on Agile - seems to me that plunge pricing happens more commonly in summer months (presumably due to solar input into the grid) than winter. As a family we use less peak rate electric in the summer months as tend to use the BBQ more than the oven.
Octopus allow you to switch tariffs with ease and no penalty. Would a lot of us be better off with Agile April-August and Go the rest of the time?
Food for thought perhaps.
Jon
Absolutely correct.

Looks promising for for a good deal on Saturday (possibly Sunday). Let’s see how long this pattern of low weekend rates lasts.

77EB9F10-0C4D-438B-96B4-7C5FCFBDC0A9.jpeg

Reactions: tj333