Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Agile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting frustrated with Octopus myself, on Monday I will have switched a month ago and they still can't seem to connect to my smart meter - "Your smart meter is installed, and we're working on connecting to it. Sit tight, as this can take up to two weeks." OK so it's only 2 weeks longer than it says but the interim tariff I'm on is way more expensive than my previous supplier and I'm charging at home a lot more now.
I've spoke to them on Twitter multiple times, as has been said, they're customer service is friendly and they're quick to respond but not very good at actually resolving the issue.

Getting frustrated with Octopus myself, on Monday I will have switched a month ago and they still can't seem to connect to my smart meter - "Your smart meter is installed, and we're working on connecting to it. Sit tight, as this can take up to two weeks." OK so it's only 2 weeks longer than it says but the interim tariff I'm on is way more expensive than my previous supplier and I'm charging at home a lot more now.
I've spoke to them on Twitter multiple times, as has been said, they're customer service is friendly and they're quick to respond but not very good at actually resolving the issue.

Our experience with Octopus, from a couple of years ago, wasn't good as far as customer service goes. They kept getting our bill wrong, and it seemed every attempt to get it corrected just made things worse. In the end, after about six months of frustration, compounded by their habit of signing off every communication to me with "love and peace", I just switched supplier, and vowed never to use Octopus again. Even then it took months before we got our money back from Octopus, as they owed us for around three months worth of energy as a consequence of them being unable to get the billing right.

It may be that we were just unlucky, and that most people don't have any issues with them, but for us they turned out to be the worst supplier we've ever had, worse even than British Gas from around ten years ago (and that's saying something).

Moving in to a new property in a few weeks & looking at charging options.

Have had my M3 since March, but never charged at home. Work have free chargers so I just use those once a week.

Considering this, does it make sense to look at an EV tariff at the new house? I’ve heard standard usage charges can be quite high & considering I’ll be rarely charging at home, I’m not sure what’s best.

Having to have the house rewired so looking to have a commando installed rather than paying full wack for a home charger.

Have had my M3 since March, but never charged at home. Work have free chargers so I just use those once a week.

Considering this, does it make sense to look at an EV tariff at the new house? I’ve heard standard usage charges can be quite high & considering I’ll be rarely charging at home, I’m not sure what’s best.

Having to have the house rewired so looking to have a commando installed rather than paying full wack for a home charger.
I've been on ecotricity when I didn't have a home charger as they were the only rapid near me (when it worked!) but been on Agile for just over a month. Very happy, standing charge is 21p and my average rate is just over 9p/kWh, only change ive made is charging using ev.energy app.

If you’re rewriting the house, why not future proof it and get the charger installed?
It is likely that all your future vehicles will be EVs and you may want to charge them a bit quicker...

Reactions: CMc1
Having to have the house rewired so looking to have a commando installed rather than paying full wack for a home charger

Unless you are cutting corners/not installing to regulations, or installing for charging wholly in a garage etc, the difference between the two options really comes down to the cost of the enclosure and cable, which isn't likely to be more than a couple of £££, maybe a bit more.

Basic charge point costs

You can take your export else where. Bulb offer higher export rates for example compared to Octopus

Our payments are changing from 1 April 2021​

From 1 April 2021, we’ll pay you every 6 months, and the amount we’ll pay will change to:

• our exclusive rate of 5.57p per kWh if Bulb supplies your energy
  • our standard rate of 3p per kWh if you get your energy from another supplier

There is no doubt you should move to Tesla Energy from Octopus. No standing charge. 8p in and 8p out. I was on Go then Agile now TEG
To me there is a big doubt, and that's the damage done to the batteries for the large number of charge/discharge cycles on that plan, although I agree that it probably makes the most financial sense and it's probably what helps the grid (and therefore the planet) the most.

[EDIT] Just saw the FAQs and Tesla still warrant the Powerwalls to have 80% original capacity after 10 years (unlimited cycles), so that may not be as big a deal.... Maybe I should give it some though...

Last edited: