Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there,

I just got my Model Y :)

And I have signed up today to the Octopus Intelligent tariff (or I hope I have!)

It says on the Octopus app that Intelligent is all setup although it isn't showing on My Account on the webpage?

But I am getting messages from Tesla saying my car has stopped charging and this has happened at 7pm, 8.30pm and now 10.45pm, and I have no clue why this is happening as surely nothing should happen till the cheap energy times of the Octopus tariff? Can anyone tell me what is happening? Oh and as far as I can tell there is no schedule setup on the car and I have turned off the schedules on the Ohme Home Pro Charger.

Thanks.

Hey there,

And I have signed up today to the Octopus Intelligent tariff (or I hope I have!)

It says on the Octopus app that Intelligent is all setup although it isn't showing on My Account on the webpage?

But I am getting messages from Tesla saying my car has stopped charging and this has happened at 7pm, 8.30pm and now 10.45pm, and I have no clue why this is happening as surely nothing should happen till the cheap energy times of the Octopus tariff? Can anyone tell me what is happening? Oh and as far as I can tell there is no schedule setup on the car and I have turned off the schedules on the Ohme Home Pro Charger.

Thanks.

Intelligent will charge your car at some weird and wonderful times depending on what you have set the cars limit to be and how much load is on the grid. Although i've never had it charging between 7 and 11pm I very regularly have charging between 7am and mid-day.

If IO is charging your car, then it doesn't matter what time it is, as your electric for that slot will all be charged at the cheap rates. Which is one of the biggest bonuses of IO in my opinion.

As for the website, it should show that your in the process of changing over at least? Just may not have updated to confirm its happened yet. Sounds like IO is controlling your cars charge normally though.

You should be getting a notification from the Octopus app when you plug your car in to tell you what the planned charging slots are each night. Alternatively open the app and go to the devices tab and it should show in there.

I move to IO a few weeks ago and all worked well to start with until I started to wake up to a tripped WallBox on regular occasions. So I have switched of the App and scheduled the charge from the M3. Seems to work well no trips for the last 3 nights… Anyone else has something similar?
Can only assume its the starting and stopping of the charge that might be causing it? Seems odd though.

Intelligent will charge your car at some weird and wonderful times depending on what you have set the cars limit to be and how much load is on the grid. Although i've never had it charging between 7 and 11pm I very regularly have charging between 7am and mid-day.

If IO is charging your car, then it doesn't matter what time it is, as your electric for that slot will all be charged at the cheap rates. Which is one of the biggest bonuses of IO in my opinion.

As for the website, it should show that your in the process of changing over at least? Just may not have updated to confirm its happened yet. Sounds like IO is controlling your cars charge normally though.

You should be getting a notification from the Octopus app when you plug your car in to tell you what the planned charging slots are each night. Alternatively open the app and go to the devices tab and it should show in there.
Hi Billbrown,

Thanks for all the information it has put my mind at ease! And indeed it just took some time to go through on the Octopus webpage but it is now showing the Intelligent tariff.

And it is good to know when it is charging at the funny times that it is still on the cheap tariff!

I did have one question though, so I had the car set at 80% max charge but told the Octopus app to only to 65%. And it went over the 65% and charged to what the car said, is this right? The car takes precedence over the Octopus app?

Thanks again for all the help!

Hi Billbrown,

Thanks for all the information it has put my mind at ease! And indeed it just took some time to go through on the Octopus webpage but it is now showing the Intelligent tariff.

And it is good to know when it is charging at the funny times that it is still on the cheap tariff!

I did have one question though, so I had the car set at 80% max charge but told the Octopus app to only to 65%. And it went over the 65% and charged to what the car said, is this right? The car takes precedence over the Octopus app?

Thanks again for all the help!
yes it does.

Therefore I have IO app set to 100% and car charge level varies.

In the past I had some strange results, let's say - car set to 80%, IO app set to 80% and finished charging at 72.%

since the car setting takes precedence - it is the only what matters, hence set IO app to 100% and forget it

No, that is not right. If IO is not controlling your Tesla API then there might have been some issue with setup. A few people have geofencing issues where Tesla reports your car as being somewhere other than home. In this case IO will see your car as away and not stop the charge. You might have to manually stop the charge via the Tesla app. If you do this, it should still start and stop correctly on the daily schedule.

When you plug the car in, make sure IO is stopping the charge. If you check the app after 5pm, it should have created a schedule for you.

The down-side to that is it messes with Octopus’ Kraken algorithm in determining the optimal charging windows, since it bases its decision on a target of 100% irrespective of what the car’s SoC limit is (not sure why). Essentially charging will start earlier, when it might not be optimal for grid greenness or cheapness.

Reactions: ACarneiro
The down-side to that is it messes with Octopus’ Kraken algorithm in determining the optimal charging windows, since it bases its decision on a target of 100% irrespective of what the car’s SoC limit is (not sure why). Essentially charging will start earlier, when it might not be optimal for grid greenness or cheapness.
kind of yes, but it also depends on "when" you need to be ready.
It should provide you with different slots if you need your car to be ready at 8 am and 4 am.
kind of hacking the system.

but in my case, setting IO level to 100% is the only way to achieve the requested (in car) charge level

The ultimate system hack is setting Octopus’ charge target greater than 30 minutes worth for the next half our end, at a minute before the hour, then lowering car SoC a minute past, then rinse and repeat as required ;) A somewhat cheaper form of ‘Bump Charge’, useful for other concurrent loads.

Hey there,

Thanks.
I'm sure I've seen in one of these IO threads that you don't use the octopus app when you have an ohme charger you use the ohme app. This could be the source of your issues?

I move to IO a few weeks ago and all worked well to start with until I started to wake up to a tripped WallBox on regular occasions. So I have switched of the App and scheduled the charge from the M3. Seems to work well no trips for the last 3 nights… Anyone else has something similar?
Whilst I didn't manage to confirm it was linked, I had issues the day after joining IO with a circuit tripping, I disabled IO and its not tripped since. So seems very well linked.

Reactions: Frizzy
Damn, didn’t charge overnight. Not had it fail to charge before. Is this common/random? Plugged the car in, it starts charging so I stop it, then I’m the app select 80% by 6:30 this morning

Luckily I still have 34% left which will get me to work and back but no sentry while parked at work..

I’ve got a scenario question. Let’s say Octopus happen to schedule the car’s charge period outside the regular 6-hour cheap over night period. Is the power that’s cheaply rated, later, the charge that the car takes or everything that the house and car use in that later period?

Any time the app schedules to charge, your house gets the low rate. So if my car is mega low, say 20%, and I set it at 80%, it will charge before 11.30. I therefore do my washing during those times, rather than the 6 hour window

Reactions: Ben_
Damn, didn’t charge overnight. Not had it fail to charge before. Is this common/random? Plugged the car in, it starts charging so I stop it, then I’m the app select 80% by 6:30 this morning

Luckily I still have 34% left which will get me to work and back but no sentry while parked at work..

If I read that right, then your mistake was stopping it. When you initially plug the car in, it will nearly always start charging immediately. 5-30 seconds after that you should get a notification from your app with your charging window and then up to another 30 seconds after that, it will stop your car charging itself, if its outside of one of those windows of course.

If you stop it however, then it won't be able to start it again itself later on.

Hope that made sense.

I’ve got a scenario question. Let’s say Octopus happen to schedule the car’s charge period outside the regular 6-hour cheap over night period. Is the power that’s cheaply rated, later, the charge that the car takes or everything that the house and car use in that later period?

As in do you mean you get a window of 7-7.30 but your car finishes charging at 7.15 - will the remaining 15 minutes be charged at low rate.

That, I don't know and would also be interest if anyone knows for sure.