Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Er, if you have a Tesla the charger you have is irrelevant. You put the Zappi in dumb mode and Intellegent controls the charging via Tesla’s API.
Er, and yet when I put my details of car and charger in, they reply with this:

In other words, it doesn’t work with MyEnergi products yet.

Attachments

• FC8D98E6-3589-441D-B8CF-D81E555239B5.png
    FC8D98E6-3589-441D-B8CF-D81E555239B5.png
    584.3 KB · Views: 211
  • Disagree
Reactions: btc1k
If you can put the charger (any charger) into dumb mode, it will work.
Yes, but the point of the Zappi is to top up the car with free solar, so by gaining on one hand with a longer 5p rate, you lose the functionality of charging the car for free. I think MyEnergi are working on a way to get both (smart charging with Intelligent Octopus and Eco++ with PV), but they aren’t there yet.

I guess I could keep flipping between holiday mode on the Octopus app and Eco++ on the MyEnergi app, but it’s not ideal. Would rather not negate the benefits of the Zappi.

Reactions: btc1k
Ok decided for now to pause but went as far the point where the app asks to do a test charge but stopped before I did this. This meant I put in my Tesla app details for (I presume) polling. Now I have a situation where it seems I'm losing 3-4% battery a day but I'm not even on intelligent octopus . ... So I can't charge into holiday mode :) Call to octopus tomorrow sounds like.

I hope to make the switch just don't want to have the app drain the battery.

For info the car is plugged in but I've got my pod point set to charge only at octopus go times.

Everytime I've went into the garage in the last couple of days I've heard the car humming away to itself implying it's not going to sleep now.

Er, and yet when I put my details of car and charger in, they reply with this:

In other words, it doesn’t work with MyEnergi products yet.
It does. Just choose generic charger.

I'd also be interested to know when you last tried to do the setup. The last time I ran setup in November, Octopus had removed all the brands of charger from the setup list and just retained the "generic charger" list at 2/3/4/7kW. The reason for this was that on launch they said they were supporting Wallbox chargers with any car, but then they withdrew it because they couldn't get it working properly. And since they were left with only supporting Tesla through the API, the type of charger became irrelevant.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlz78
Yes, but the point of the Zappi is to top up the car with free solar, so by gaining on one hand with a longer 5p rate, you lose the functionality of charging the car for free. I think MyEnergi are working on a way to get both (smart charging with Intelligent Octopus and Eco++ with PV), but they aren’t there yet.

I guess I could keep flipping between holiday mode on the Octopus app and Eco++ on the MyEnergi app, but it’s not ideal. Would rather not negate the benefits of the Zappi.
You can't tell the Zappi that the cheap rate is from 23:30 to 05:30 and let it manage everything? The *single* benefit of using the Octopus app to manage the charging is *if* you need more than 6h to get the car to the needed charge (bearing in mind 10h gets you from 0-100% in a M3LR), Octopus will give you extra cheap hours (supposedly, I have never seen this in action).

Reactions: jlz78
You can't tell the Zappi that the cheap rate is from 23:30 to 05:30 and let it manage everything? The *single* benefit of using the Octopus app to manage the charging is *if* you need more than 6h to get the car to the needed charge (bearing in mind 10h gets you from 0-100% in a M3LR), Octopus will give you extra cheap hours (supposedly, I have never seen this in action).

That's not how it works.

Based on the % charge and ready times you want Octopus do look at *all* the HH slots in that time range.

For example, if you want your car ready by 11am, there is nothing to stop Octopus shifting your charge from 7am-11am because they're the lowest charge/carbon slots for Octopus. This happened recently (note the Agile price plunge).

Crucially, you still get the 11:30-05:30 at 5p. Plus, in the example above, the 0700-1100 slots at 5p too.

I have had loads of slots from Intelligent outside of the published window.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Ok decided for now to pause but went as far the point where the app asks to do a test charge but stopped before I did this. This meant I put in my Tesla app details for (I presume) polling. Now I have a situation where it seems I'm losing 3-4% battery a day but I'm not even on intelligent octopus . ... So I can't charge into holiday mode :) Call to octopus tomorrow sounds like.

I hope to make the switch just don't want to have the app drain the battery.

For info the car is plugged in but I've got my pod point set to charge only at octopus go times.

Everytime I've went into the garage in the last couple of days I've heard the car humming away to itself implying it's not going to sleep now.
Change your Tesla account password, anything connected will then stop connecting. I don;t know this app, but it's often the case that if you have multiple apps using your password then as they don't co-ordinate between them they can keep the car awake with their polling, when one app along wouldn't.

I’m with you now; so play the application system to get onto the Intelligent tariff, then just don’t use any of the Octopus smart functions and keep using Zappi as normal, but with a longer low 5p tariff? Basically turn smart charging off in the Octopus app all the time (unless you need to charge at an unusual time?)

Thanks for the advice all.

Reactions: rotor2k
Basically turn smart charging off in the Octopus app all the time (unless you need to charge at an unusual time?)
How would that help you?

I think you need to go back, understand how the tariff works, then decide if you want to miss out on 5p slots outside of the fixed 6 hour window.

The tariff also has a fair use clause in the t&cs. Octopus are within their rights to move you off the tariff if they deem you haven't made use of the smart charging element. I'm not saying they would, but they could.

That's not how it works.

Based on the % charge and ready times you want Octopus do look at *all* the HH slots in that time range.

For example, if you want your car ready by 11am, there is nothing to stop Octopus shifting your charge from 7am-11am because they're the lowest charge/carbon slots for Octopus. This happened recently (note the Agile price plunge).

Crucially, you still get the 11:30-05:30 at 5p. Plus, in the example above, the 0700-1100 slots at 5p too.

I have had loads of slots from Intelligent outside of the published window.
That's good to know, thanks.

Do you think you've found a loophole in Octopus' logic? Could you plug the car in on any given day at 7am, and expect it to be charged by 11am at 5p per kWh? I expect the answer is no, because if true, that feels like a pretty big loophole (you would effectively be getting 10-12h of 5p electricity for the whole household that way!). My expectation has been that you would plug the car in the night before, and having said you wanted it ready by 11am the next day, and that you could reach your requested % charge in under 6h, then you could happily ignore the Octopus app (but if it needed more then 6h on the odd occasion, then using the app would grant you a "one-off" exception to give you more time). In other words, the Octopus app gives you something incredibly specific (plugged in overnight, but needed more than 6h to charge). If using the app allows you to "game the system" by getting 5p electricity at all hours of the day, I don't know if Octopus will allow that to last!

How would that help you?

I think you need to go back, understand how the tariff works, then decide if you want to miss out on 5p slots outside of the fixed 6 hour window.

The tariff also has a fair use clause in the t&cs. Octopus are within their rights to move you off the tariff if they deem you haven't made use of the smart charging element. I'm not saying they would, but they could.
The power drain caused by the app is pretty significant -- 3-4% per day for a M3LR (I don't have my car plugged in 24x7).

Do you think you've found a loophole in Octopus' logic? Could you plug the car in on any given day at 7am, and expect it to be charged by 11am at 5p per kWh? I expect the answer is no,

They get around it by having you plug in after 5pm the evening before. This sets up the schedule that appears in the app.

I don't know exactly when the cutoff for the schedule to be created is, but I have a feeling it's midnight. I once came home around 2am, needed a big charge the next day and I got a schedule that ran right through, but with "bump charge" pricing beyond 5:30am.

Reactions: rotor2k