Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just talking to Octopus now, they're saying you need a EV now to move onto their GO Faster tariffs - is that correct?
I moved over and I dont have mine yet. Just say you have it on order. If you're just signing up, they will put you on their flexi. After being on that a few days give them a call and say you have an EV due and you want to switch over. You might end up with someone who will just do it.

Reactions: _Dave_ and rowedav
I moved over and I dont have mine yet. Just say you have it on order. If you're just signing up, they will put you on their flexi. After being on that a few days give them a call and say you have an EV due and you want to switch over. You might end up with someone who will just do it.

Yeah, that's what I kind of suspected - luck of the draw in terms of who picks up your call. The lady I spoke to was very helpful though. I asked what type of meters I have and they are 1st gen SMETS - she said they should be able to get reads from them but if not they'd come and install SMETS2 meters for me. Must admit I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to all this.

I'll give them another call later today (if I get time) or on Monday perhaps. If I still get the same line, I'll switch to their flexi and try again a few days later as you suggest- thanks!

Reactions: Darreno
Phoned up Octopus and got a link to switch to Go Faster (8.25p/kWh) for 5 hours starting 10:30 until 3:30. We can keep an eye on washing/drying and run our portable air-conditioner in the bedroom before sleep in summer and the 5 hours gives us more time to charge the car and our solar batteries when installed later this year.

Yeah, that's what I kind of suspected - luck of the draw in terms of who picks up your call. The lady I spoke to was very helpful though. I asked what type of meters I have and they are 1st gen SMETS - she said they should be able to get reads from them but if not they'd come and install SMETS2 meters for me. Must admit I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to all this.

I'll give them another call later today (if I get time) or on Monday perhaps. If I still get the same line, I'll switch to their flexi and try again a few days later as you suggest- thanks!
They recently added the "must have an EV" as a T&C so I guess some are taking it literally. I explained I wanted to switch a month ahead so we had time to sort any issues such as meters out before the car came and she was fine with that.

Nice, was the link to switch to Go Faster unique to your account? I was thinking of switching to it to get the extra hour and bringing it back to 9:30 when we're more likely to do a wash/dry before bed and schedule and extra one in during the night.
Yeah looks like it, guess you’ll have to phone up. Will be interesting if they give you the same info I got :)

Reactions: MattM76
So impressed with Octopus - started the switch to the 70p fixed rate 12M about 4 days ago, phoned them and got it changed to flexible (whilst awaiting intelligent tariff change). So yesterday they completed the switch, literally 2 days. And 5mins ago they completed my switch to Intelligent Octopus - locked in at 38.82 0530-2330 and 7.50 2330-0530, with a 48.26 standing charge, until 02 Sep 2023. That'll be saving loads of cash even without the Tesla (which is being delivered on 28/09). You lot on these forums have helped massively, I salute you 🖖 ❤️

So impressed with Octopus - started the switch to the 70p fixed rate 12M about 4 days ago, phoned them and got it changed to flexible (whilst awaiting intelligent tariff change). So yesterday they completed the switch, literally 2 days. And 5mins ago they completed my switch to Intelligent Octopus - locked in at 38.82 0530-2330 and 7.50 2330-0530, with a 48.26 standing charge, until 02 Sep 2023. That'll be saving loads of cash even without the Tesla (which is being delivered on 28/09). You lot on these forums have helped massively, I salute you 🖖 ❤️
Do you already have another EV?

I thought we could not switch to IO until in possession of an EV and charger?

My charger is being installed on 19th Sept, and am collecting the car on 21st.
Is it worth me trying to call back and try again? Same as you though, very impressed with their speed and service so far.
Thanks

Do you already have another EV?

I thought we could not switch to IO until in possession of an EV and charger?

My charger is being installed on 19th Sept, and am collecting the car on 21st.
Is it worth me trying to call back and try again? Same as you though, very impressed with their speed and service so far.
Thanks
I think once you start the switch you get the price locked in, perhaps just just have to apply and delay the test charger until the car arrives?

Reactions: _Dave_
How far in advance of your fixed rate ending do Octopus get in touch about options going forward?

I'm on a Go plan that ends 23rd November - conscious of the upcoming rate changes, I'd probably be better off to get it switched earlier than that.

In the past, 'keeping your head down' resulted in your rates being maintained, I'm assuming that is not a thing anymore?

Cheers

Switched as of 1Sep as new customer and they can’t read the meter so far, was told that they would need to check software somehow and if still not accessible, meter will need to be replaced…it is a shame more calls/investigations in the way before all can be sorted…wouldn’t it be great if tech/systems did work straight away majority of the time….

Reactions: MattM76
How far in advance of your fixed rate ending do Octopus get in touch about options going forward?

I'm on a Go plan that ends 23rd November - conscious of the upcoming rate changes, I'd probably be better off to get it switched earlier than that.

In the past, 'keeping your head down' resulted in your rates being maintained, I'm assuming that is not a thing anymore?

Cheers
Prices for Go will rise in October. I’d fix again now and get another year.

Reactions: _Dave_
Question for intelligent customers: If you get a bonus charge in the peak rate hours, does all your energy in that time cost the off peak rate? and if so is there a way to see on the smart meter that you’re currently getting charged the off peak rate?

If you get a bonus charge in the peak rate hours, does all your energy in that time cost the off peak rate?
is there a way to see on the smart meter that you’re currently getting charged the off peak rate?
No. You'll see it in the schedule that's created in the app.

Reactions: robmcm