Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go - British Summer Time...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As defined it’s 00:30 to 04:30 GMT and 00:30 to 04:30 BST, so on Sun 27th before 01:00 there'll be 30 minutes while GMT, and after clocks go forward to 02:00 BST there'll be another 2 hours 30, totalling 3 hours - offset by the 5 hours from the 30th October clock rollback. Should all even out to 4 hours over time.

It wouldn't surprise me if the usage from the second run at 01:00 to 02:00 in autumn is either ignored or replaces that of the BST half-hourlies!

Not so, you are missing one vital point about exactly WHEN BST/GMT actually kicks in.

According to GOV.UK the clocks will go forward to BST at 01:00 on Sunday morning.
The Octopus Go's off-peak slot will start at 00:30 GMT for half an hour and at 01:00 GMT the clocks will switch to 02:00. BST
So, 2.5 hours later at 04:30 BST the off-peak time will end - you just get a 3 hours charge window.

At the end of summer time on October 30th BST will end at 02:00 BST and clocks will turn back to 01:00 GMT
The Go period starts at 00:30 BST then 1.5 hours later at 02:00 BST the time will switch back to 01:00 GMT. So 3.5 hours later at 04:30 GMT the off peak time will end so this time you get 5 hours charge window.

There's talk of dropping the daylight saving malarky and sticking to a single time all year.
America are planning to do that soon as are Europe - it's just us Brits still messing with the clocks.
Oh, I agree about the gain/loss of an hour if indeed Octopus arrange that their slot is always local time. So it’ll be 00:30 to 04:30 UTC in winter and 00:30 to 04:30 BST in summer, but they don’t actually say that (although it does seem that’s how it is). My point is simply that saying things like “stay” etc is open to misinterpretation whilst stating the timezone is unambiguous.

If GO times are linked to BST 00:30, then my Smart Meter 5th terminal is shifted one hour so my last hour will be billed in error at peak rates.

If GO times had been linked to GMT, at least I could have changed my Powerwall cheap period and been billed correctly for everything.

I’ll be on the phone to Octopus later to get this sorted.