Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I initially thought that the excellent traction control on the Tesla was simply a feature of all EVs but then read, from multiple sources, about Kona wheel spin. Given that even the slowest of the Model 3s accelerates significantly more quickly than the Kona it's surprising they haven't managed to successfully moderate the wheel spin. Of course front wheel drive is always going to be a bit of a harder nut to crack than RWD or AWD in the wheel spin department.
I suspect it makes a big difference that the Kona is based on an ICE platform, whereas the Tesla is designed electric from the ground up.

Oops, we seem to have wandered off-topic again... :oops:

I initially thought that the excellent traction control on the Tesla was simply a feature of all EVs but then read, from multiple sources, about Kona wheel spin. Given that even the slowest of the Model 3s accelerates significantly more quickly than the Kona it's surprising they haven't managed to successfully moderate the wheel spin. Of course front wheel drive is always going to be a bit of a harder nut to crack than RWD or AWD in the wheel spin department.
I think in sport mode with AWD the Kona would be pretty close to the rear wheel drive M3. With FWD there is a massive amount of power going to waste or if not sending you into a ditch. At first the M3LR felt strange putting the foot down and not going all over the place.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado and Roy W.
Update: Thanks for everybody's input. I have got ev.energy working and with a little effort it starts and stop charges as required. Only problem is combining with a departure time. Not a game changer because I can do that manually. I had started the trial of TeslaFi but felt it was overkill, complicated and Cost money. However, I have spent (wasted?) a lot of time playing with it and have become familiar with it. It works a treat for what I want but I was a bit worried about phantom drain with the constant polling. Then I investigated the deep sleep option and wondered if that could sort my phantom drain problem as I sometimes have to leave my car at the airport for up to 3 weeks.

I suppose it is up to you to determine if TeslaFi is worth the money and effort. Everybody has slightly different needs.

What I will say is that, in the beginning, I completely overthought cost optimisation on charging. Turns out that, for me at least, the optimisation that ev.energy delivers is so good that any further savings yielded by some other intervention would be marginal.

Only problem is combining with a departure time.

Out of curiosity, what doesn’t the smart charging target time feature on the ev.energy app do for you?

I suppose it is up to you to determine if TeslaFi is worth the money and effort. Everybody has slightly different needs.

What I will say is that, in the beginning, I completely overthought cost optimisation on charging. Turns out that, for me at least, the optimisation that ev.energy delivers is so good that any further savings yielded by some other intervention would be marginal.

Out of curiosity, what doesn’t the smart charging target time feature on the ev.energy app do for you?
The ev.energy account is pretty close but it asks me when I want the car ready for when I set the stop time.
It then heats the battery and car to be ready for 4.30am. I don't want that. I only want it switched off before the energy becomes expensive. I have it set up for Octopus Go and a simple on and off would be better. Perhaps I am missing something. Teslafi on the other hand is overkill. Everything is programmable. Masses of data which are actually more useful than I thought they would be. Elevations, speed analysis etc are interesting. I have a referral now so I can take anther 3 weeks to make up my mind. The only decision so far is to use one of the apps until the on board solution improves.

Doesn’t that achieve what you want then? I’m a bit confused. If you set the car to be ready for say 07:00 and enable that off-peak thing, it should only charge in your four-hour window.
I see. I have been setting car ready for 4.30 to stop it charging. If I set it to be ready for 7am it won't heat at 4.15am and it won't charge after 4.30. I'll give it a try. I thought that by specifying 7am ready it would override Octopus Go settings

I see. I have been setting car ready for 4.30 to stop it charging. If I set it to be ready for 7am it won't heat at 4.15am and it won't charge after 4.30. I'll give it a try. I thought that by specifying 7am ready it would override Octopus Go settings
As far as I'm aware, the ready time in ev.energy doesn't preheat the car like the scheduled departure time function does within the car.

The ev.energy app uses the departure time in order to estimate how long it has in minutes to charge the car to the charge level set on the car. It then picks the cheapest time slots between the plugged in time and the departure time in order to reach your required charge whilst using the cheapest available rates.

What this would mean for you though, as you are on Octopus Go, is that if your car can't be charged to the required level during the cheap Go rates then it would charge before or after that period at the higher rate in order to ensure you have the required level of charge at the departure time set within the ev.energy app.

As @Jeeves said, you can use the only charge off-peak setting or you could specify the maximum rate per kw/h that you are willing to accept a charge at e.g. 5p. In this case you just need to be aware that if charging between your starting battery percentage and required battery percentage cannot be achieved within the 4 hours that GO provides off peak rates for, then you will have less than your required battery percentage the next morning.

@Dougall1248, Sorry, I edited my post after you responded.

It doesn’t heat the cabin. It only heats the battery as a natural by-product of charging (that’s what the ‘Keep battery warm’ option does by whacking in 30 mins of charge just before your target charge time unless you have the ‘Only charge off-peak?’ option set). @Medved_77 explained how to achieve what you want more fully than me.

I don’t think the ‘Keep battery warm’ feature is actually very useful. What you really need to do is turn the climate control on. I have a Siri Shortcut to do that. This means that I can shout at my phone in the dark about 45 minutes before my scheduled departure time to get the battery and cabin warm or tap on the screen if my bleary eyes have cleared by then. Other respondents have suggested this doesn’t improve efficiency, but I disagree. The only modification I shall have to make this winter is figure out how to stop ev.energy from disabling charging whilst this preheat occurs to mitigate the battery loss. The car can draw up to 13 or 14kW during that preheating.

As I wrote earlier, I can completely understand why you might wish to only charge during that four-hour window, but that would rarely be enough charging for my needs, particularly in winter.

Anyway, hope you figure out how to achieve what you want.

@Dougall1248, Sorry, I edited my post after you responded.

It doesn’t heat the cabin. It only heats the battery as a natural by-product of charging (that’s what the ‘Keep battery warm’ option does by whacking in 30 mins of charge just before your target charge time unless you have the ‘Only charge off-peak?’ option set). @Medved_77 explained how to achieve what you want more fully than me.

I don’t think the ‘Keep battery warm’ feature is actually very useful. What you really need to do is turn the climate control on. I have a Siri Shortcut to do that. This means that I can shout at my phone in the dark about 45 minutes before my scheduled departure time to get the battery and cabin warm or tap on the screen if my bleary eyes have cleared by then. Other respondents have suggested this doesn’t improve efficiency, but I disagree. The only modification I shall have to make this winter is figure out how to stop ev.energy from disabling charging whilst this preheat occurs to mitigate the battery loss. The car can draw up to 13 or 14kW during that preheating.

As I wrote earlier, I can completely understand why you might wish to only charge during that four-hour window, but that would rarely be enough charging for my needs, particularly in winter.

Anyway, hope you figure out how to achieve what you want.
Thanks for all the help. I think I am organised now. I very much enjoyed the Kona last winter where I could get into a warm car with a full battery and ready to go. I think I can manage it now with the Tesla.

Reactions: Medved_77
Conclusion is ev.energy is fine for what is needed. TeslaFi is even better but is not free. I have 3 more weeks to get addicted to TeslaFi and the masses of data before I have to pay but will probably just use ev.energy.
Actually, you get paid to use ev.energy which could offset the cost of TeslaFi...

You get points for charging your car, 20 points and you get a £5 Amazon voucher. I've had £10 of vouchers so far in around 5 months of usage. I don't use the car for commuting so suspect if you did (as you would charge more) you'd probably get £5 per month.