Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Smart Meter Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But not 31kwh - which is what I tried last night and ended up using 13 minutes of non-Go rates ! dirty ‘xpensive leccy !
It all depends on your voltage.
To get 31kWh in the 4 hour window you would need to have a 248V supply. This is possible since it's within the tolerance of the UK supply of 230V nominal +10% -6%.
Some folk routinely seem to see high voltage levels but not where I live where it seems to rigidly maintain 243V.

I get 251V at the consumer unit (after a 45m run from the meter point, 10mm2 cable). Our local distribution circuit is 2 properties from the mini-substation, I am first then another one half a mile across the hill

When charging the car display shows 229-232v @32a

Octopus referral credit received today also, they have been faultless through switchover.

Reactions: Mr Miserable
I was having my SMETS2 fitted last Friday. Unfortunately, there was a problem with some of the terminals in the service head so I'm now waiting for the DNO to come and replace that before I can rebook a new smart meter appointment and get the Go tariff.

So, I'm back to free charging on the 50kW at my local leisure centre for the next few months. The upside, free. The downside, not as convenient.

mine was installed 9 weeks (4 weeks with Bulb and 5 weeks with Octopus) ago now and the electric is still not giving a reading, the gas is fine and showing every 30 mins.

Thats worth a call to Octopus. Normally they will say up to 2 weeks for things to start working, and fob you off if contacting within that window, but you should get someone on the case pdq.

The biggest issue is connectivity, and on the 2 smart meters at different locations that we have had installed, they checked that before starting. Since you have gas, connectivity, so long as it goes through the same transmitter is not going to be the issue. Our gas meter uses the electricity meters transmitter.

I had an Octopus smart meter installed yesterday too, but it wasn't all straightforward. The meter is located in the basement, where cellular signal isn't great (I'm in Wimbledon, London, so signal generally isn't a problem). It appears the meter can connect intermittently, because (after some trying) the engineer apparently managed to have the meter commissioned and working for both electricity and gas. However, the IHD is (bizarrely) only showing information for the gas supply, not the electricity supply. (As with the poster above, my gas meter uses the electricity meter's transmitter.) I'm going to give it a few more days to see if things sort themselves out (as above), but in the meantime, I'm also investigating solutions to try to boost the signal that the smart meter is receiving down in the basement, just in case that may be part of the problem too.

So, just to say others having issues with Octopus aren't alone! Hoping this will all get sorted out so I can be put on to Go soon…

From what I've read about the smart meter setup, it's massively over complicated / convoluted.

I know it doesn't help much if yours isn't working at the moment, but at least Octopus will send someone out, as I put in my first post, Bulb just fobbed me off and refused to help any further, yet still tried to call me three times after I'd initiated the switch to try and talk me into staying (missed all three of them on work calls!)

I had an Octopus smart meter installed yesterday too, but it wasn't all straightforward. The meter is located in the basement, where cellular signal isn't great (I'm in Wimbledon, London, so signal generally isn't a problem). It appears the meter can connect intermittently, because (after some trying) the engineer apparently managed to have the meter commissioned and working for both electricity and gas. However, the IHD is (bizarrely) only showing information for the gas supply, not the electricity supply. (As with the poster above, my gas meter uses the electricity meter's transmitter.) I'm going to give it a few more days to see if things sort themselves out (as above), but in the meantime, I'm also investigating solutions to try to boost the signal that the smart meter is receiving down in the basement, just in case that may be part of the problem too.

So, just to say others having issues with Octopus aren't alone! Hoping this will all get sorted out so I can be put on to Go soon…

I'd be interested in booster solutions that you come across.

I live in a new build flat in Glasgow. I'm told that new build construction can dull the signal. I had smets2 installed in August, but was told I needed a booster/antenna. I was told lead time was 60-90 days.

Now I'm told, simply not available...

So I'm stuck on Octopus fixed tariff with a "dumb" smart meter.

I'd be grateful for anybody who can help with a solution to this.

I'd be interested in booster solutions that you come across.

I live in a new build flat in Glasgow. I'm told that new build construction can dull the signal. I had smets2 installed in August, but was told I needed a booster/antenna. I was told lead time was 60-90 days.

Now I'm told, simply not available...

So I'm stuck on Octopus fixed tariff with a "dumb" smart meter.

I'd be grateful for anybody who can help with a solution to this.

Move to the tracker tariff. It'll be cheaper than their fixed tariff (which is eyewatering).

I understand that the meters work in a mesh, therefore the solution would be for other places in the vicinity getting a smart meter to allow your data to hop meters until it reaches the cellular network.
I may be talking utter bollocks, but that was my understanding of the technology.

You're not. I've read that as well. Installers have been out twice and couldn't commission. Assume there is no mesh available.

2nd time was to install a new meter when he was supposed to be bringing the unicorn antenna with him. He did nothing apart from confirm he couldn't commission and left...

Octopus have this tendency to send out engineers who simply swap the meter and still can't get a signal because there isn't one. Hence my multitude of meters before I gave up trying.

An antenna would be a great idea.. I see nowhere one could be attached on the currently installed meters though (and the available technical PDFs don't mention one), so it'd be yet another install.