Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Smart Meter Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We joined and was told our smart meter wasn't compatible and we needed it swapping out. 2-3 months passed with no news which didn't overly worry me as this was at the start of the pandemic but I dropped them a message on Facebook, they got back to me quickly and told me the meter was sending readings and the installation had been cancelled. God knows when they'd have informed me if I hadn't messaged! Have to say other than the age my first Agile bill took they have been great other than that. I'd suggest dropping them a message on Facebook to see if that helps, but also a lot of meter installations are not completed by Octopus but third parties who they have no control over.

• Informative
Reactions: DOCAL
When I told them how much being on their standard tariff was costing me while waiting for a smets2 to be fitted they offered to reimburse me once the smart meter was fitted. In the end I never tried to take them up on the offer but its an option you could look into

I have had the same customer service experience with them when trying to engage via email which they heavily promote as their ‘amazing email service’. I was either getting replies up to 2 weeks later or had to give up and call them instead but having to wait in the queue for over 30 minutes!

HOWEVER - I have now found the optimal channel to get in touch with them and that’s via Twitter DM on @octopus_energy where I get an amazing customer service experience and normally responses within minutes and often well into the evening. They were even able to answer technical queries regarding the use of the API and resolve issues with my missing consumption data.

Therefore I suggest giving up on email and try Twitter DM instead.

Reactions: Roy W.
Really surprised. I don’t know if I was lucky or not but they fitted my meter within 3 weeks of joining. I just emailed their customer service team a few times and they responded and got me straight onto the booking list.

they had loads of slots too. I was expecting a massive wait.

I find communication with Octopus very hit and miss. Ive been with them for over 4 years and early communication was great. But many communications with them in last year or so has been very poor. I was after a few bits of info that was a bit technical, one of the bits I thought I knew the answer to but just wanted clarification on even though I posed it as a question. I went through several weeks of being fobbed off with what was clear to me as being pure guesses as the answers my to clarification question bore no resemblence to any of the possible options. The guy was being very helpful and nice about it so I felt bad when I just came out and asked if he actually knew anything about the subject I was asking about. He came back very apologetically and said that he didn't :oops: However it had broken the ice enough for him to pass me on to someone more technical who was then able to point me in the direction of the answers that I needed.

Unfortunately it seems quite common these days, but so many communications that could so easily be answered with an "I don't know" seem to answered by a confident sounding made up answer.

Waited 6 months for an engineer appointment, gave up and phoned them and they just gave me an appointment for a week later, so it seems waiting is not the answer.

Then the meter stopped sending readings 2 months later and after about 10 emails and 5 phone calls it was still down for another 3 months while waiting for them to “look into it”....

I've been fobbed off a couple of times so far trying to get an upgrade from a British Gas SMETS1 meter to a SMETS2 one. They keep saying no engineer availability in my area and they'll be in touch when they have any. This has been going on since 20th november, so have just dropped Greg an email. Will give it a week and if no movement I might try theTwitter DM route....

Waited 6 months for an engineer appointment, gave up and phoned them and they just gave me an appointment for a week later, so it seems waiting is not the answer.

Then the meter stopped sending readings 2 months later and after about 10 emails and 5 phone calls it was still down for another 3 months while waiting for them to “look into it”....

That's where I am.

My electricity meter stopped reporting on 30th September. Am still chasing 4 months later for them to sort but still waiting.

Am concerned that when finally fixed I will lose out on the overnight tariff whilst reporting was down... they assure me I will not... we'll see.

I joined in Feb 2020 and still no smart meter installation, despite many requests for updates etc. I think it's just an absolute postcode lottery. I've given up at the moment as I'm moving house soonish...

I would be interested to hear if my experience is similar to other people in South Yorkshire region or if I've been unlucky...

My smart meter was installed (eventually, after MANY months) on the 25th of November.
The IHD is still not showing any data despite multiple emails (which are taking around 10 days to 2 weeks before getting a reply, if ever).
Calling seems to work better, email is definitely not the answer despite what they’d like you to believe.

Am concerned that when finally fixed I will lose out on the overnight tariff whilst reporting was down... they assure me I will not... we'll see.

Well according to my account none of the previous 3 months data has been sent, only the past 24 hours from it starting to work, I took advantage of the negative rates so would not be impressed if this data never shows up and they want to charge me an estimate.

I would email or phone them and tell them that you spoke to someone and what is needed is a power recycle of the meter

They'll be doing some guessing on that.. the specs say it should store:

i. eight Days of Energy Consumption comprising the prior eight Days, in kWh and Currency Units;
ii. six Weeks of Energy Consumption comprising the current Week and the prior five Weeks, in kWh and Currency Units;
iii. fourteen months of Energy Consumption comprising the current month and the prior thirteen months, in kWh and Currency Units.

So they have day/week/month level data, not half hourly.

I concur with the posts at the start of this mail, I didn't mail greg the ceo, but had a similar experience when I joined and once I got the operations managers mail all was sorted, credits forthcoming to cover the difference between my temporary Octopus tariff and the one I was paying previously, and importantly the smart meter appointment booked relatively quickly and all is good since