Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on agile and the smart meter therefore gives readings every day

Then you wait, and you should get a bill once a month.

If this is your first month then just give it an extra couple of weeks to get things sorted and do keep an eye on the data you can see on-line as missing days or periods will stop the automated billing routine from running.

I've been with them since February and haven't had a bill yet. I chased them a few weeks ago as my account is now £300 credit. I got a reply saying that they would sort it. But still nothing....

The problem is that the original monthly direct debit was calculated on the assumption that my whole yearly consumption would be at the 15p variable rate I had to go on while they sorted a smart meter. Since then I have hardly driven the car AND the PV production has gone way up with the longer days. As such I'm sure Im barely using any electricity and what I am only at around 5p per kWh. Sometimes minus money !

I'm thinking of taking bets about when they get it all sorted...

• Helpful
Reactions: Fraank
We moved away from Octopus (finally) after initiating a transfer just before the covid-19 crisis really kicked off. I suspect they may be having some staffing/admin issues as a result. We moved mainly because we can't really benefit from their night rates for EV charging - we are low mileage and have quite high daytime usage (big home office, servers etc).

However, even before the virus, Octopus started to get quite flaky on the admin side and their "standard" rates went from being quite attractive to pretty expensive. Grudginlgy we've moved back to one of the "big six" and saving several hundred pounds a year. The new admin service has been flawless so far too. When we moved to Octopus a couple of years back I really thought that we'd be there for good but it didn't work out for us. We'll take another look in future and maybe they'll be back on point and worth another go. In some ways maybe they've been a slight victim of their own success? No doubt the big boys are hammering them on price too

As I mentioned earlier, the single most common impediment to the bill being produced automatically is missing data, so if you are on Agile and you see that you have data missing, either entire days or even a single period then email [email protected] (not hello@) and let them know about the problem.

The Agile tariff is a beta product as you are warned during the sign-up process, and the data flow is not seamless and fault-free for now.

Also regarding the DD, if you feel you are over-paying then you can reduce that in your online account.

@spon88 - Did you do the maths on the Agile tariff? .. It tends to suit those with lower EV charging needs much better than Go, but it does depend on consumption during the 4-7pm period being relatively low.

As I mentioned earlier, the single most common impediment to the bill being produced automatically is missing data, so if you are on Agile and you see that you have data missing, either entire days or even a single period then email [email protected] (not hello@) and let them know about the problem.

The Agile tariff is a beta product as you are warned during the sign-up process, and the data flow is not seamless and fault-free for now.

Also regarding the DD, if you feel you are over-paying then you can reduce that in your online account.

@spon88 - Did you do the maths on the Agile tariff? .. It tends to suit those with lower EV charging needs much better than Go, but it does depend on consumption during the 4-7pm period being relatively low.
Yes, unfortunately we still have quite heavy usage from 4 - 7 pm so it didn't stack up for us

We moved away from Octopus (finally) after initiating a transfer just before the covid-19 crisis really kicked off. I suspect they may be having some staffing/admin issues as a result. We moved mainly because we can't really benefit from their night rates for EV charging - we are low mileage and have quite high daytime usage (big home office, servers etc).

However, even before the virus, Octopus started to get quite flaky on the admin side and their "standard" rates went from being quite attractive to pretty expensive. Grudgingly we've moved back to one of the "big six" and saving several hundred pounds a year. The new admin service has been flawless so far too. When we moved to Octopus a couple of years back I really thought that we'd be there for good but it didn't work out for us. We'll take another look in future and maybe they'll be back on point and worth another go. In some ways maybe they've been a slight victim of their own success? No doubt the big boys are hammering them on price too
A little off topic, but I just moved to Symbio, really competitive standard rate, environmentally based ethos and either no exit fee, or lock your prices in for a period for price surety and a small exit charge - no brainer for my usage profile even without an off-peak cheap period and well worth a look (and yes, no referrals or incentives so just a genuine "I think this will be good for some people")

Agile even in the 16:00 - 19:00 period doesn't seem drastically expensive, but that could be skewed by the time of year. If you're on Go, as I was, then it was 14p all day long anyway. An extra 5p or so a kWh doesn't sound terrible for things that are pretty much unavoidable - like making tea. Everything can surely be done outside those hours with enough discipline, no?

Anyone know how you get a bill generated?
I've been chasing them for 1-2 weeks now to get bill generated as not had one since Feb, I think that one was on 'dumb' meter, not had one with smart meter installed.

Got reply today saying they are busy due to covid staff issues, and bear with them.

I'm keen to get on as am about £850 in credit and probably need to reduce my monthly payments.

Spring/summer my bills are tiny (solar/batteries & almost no gas usage) but higher in winter so DD payments are never in step.

Last week I asked Octopus to change DD from a fixed amount to just billing the actual monthly usage so there's no longer a big credit build-up by September (they changed it during the call)

Reactions: Adopado
I might look at changing just before my next dd is due, wanting bill as fairly high user, electric heating and did allow £50/mth car charging, but last couple of months I've probably done less than £5 for obvious reasons.

Last week I asked Octopus to change DD from a fixed amount to just billing the actual monthly usage so there's no longer a big credit build-up by September (they changed it during the call)

Good idea! Energy companies always want to hang on to a bit extra to cover eventualities and it shouldn't be necessary. In practice I have always been a better judge of the upcoming bills than my electricity company.