Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are now open to CCS drivers:

Reactions: Ferengii
I tried to use the EVgo CCS charger (9585 SW Washington Square Rd, Portland, OR) to charge my M3 RWD. Sadly the charger went up to 17kW and stuck there. I continued the charge for about 30 min but it never move over 17kW. The price was for per minute so I got charged 38 min X $0.25 = $9.5...

I tried to use the EVgo CCS charger (9585 SW Washington Square Rd, Portland, OR) to charge my M3 RWD. Sadly the charger went up to 17kW and stuck there. I continued the charge for about 30 min but it never move over 17kW. The price was for per minute so I got charged 38 min X $0.25 = $9.5...

I had a similar experience with EVgo a couple years ago. It was at a site I've used a number of times and has a CHAdeMO adapter integrated into it. (A real CHAdeMO adapter hanging on a cable, not the built in kind they have been installing since then.) I sent them an email to let them know about the low power problem, and they refunded my charges. I didn't ask for a refund, but it was nice of them to do it anyway.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: cmy4x4 and israndy
I was scheduled to retrofit my 2013 Model S but it was canceled. Apparently, the older cars are not supported yet and they were not clear about that. In the meantime, I have a Setec Power, now Lectron in the US, CCS to Tesla adapter. It works or at least did the last time I used it, but Tesla started throttling it down to 40KW with a big warning on the screen due to the risk of arc-flash since the CCS connector does not lock to the CCS cable. Given that Tesla's is pretty much passive I wonder how it locks to the CCS connector?

With the price drop to $175 US (was $250 when first available), I ordered one for my 2022 M3P with CCS support built-in. No delivery date yet.

For the retrofit, Tesla is advertising $450 US total for S/X:

Page 3 in the manual shows how the CCS1 connector attaches to the Tesla adapter:

Given that Tesla's [adapter] is pretty much passive I wonder how it locks to the CCS connector?
The Tesla adapter has a pin, you plug the adapter on the CCS plug, then you plug the adapter into your car, the act of doing that pushes a pin into the CCS plug that prevents it from pressing the button to release the CCS plug from the adapter and the car latches the adapter in place like it would with a normal Tesla cord. So everything will stay in place, although I did see a video of a guy forcing the CCS outta the adapter, also if the latch on a CCS plug is broken you can just pull it out which will potentially result in Arc Flash. Can’t understand why CCS is SUCH a bad design.

• Informative
Reactions: BigNick
Me too.... ☹️
I guess that's the goal post moving back 6 months.

(I've been ignoring the camera harness recall waiting for this)
i noticed, last night, that that the message was no longer being shown on the app as well. so…. i scheduled service for the retrofit in my 2021 model 3 (delivered 9/21). this morning i heard back from service stating it won’t be available till mid 2023 and that it will be a customer paid option. hope they change their mind as to this being customer paid assuming what is shown in this attachment is correct.

Attachments

• 8C67E59B-24F4-4C4D-9583-052A85BEE364.png
    8C67E59B-24F4-4C4D-9583-052A85BEE364.png
    542.9 KB · Views: 120
Sorry if this has already been answered; I tried searching and couldn't find anything. I just completed the DIY retrofit on my 2019 M3, including the bundle of wires. Everything went super well, and the "Additional vehicle info" also states that I have CCS support.

When I try to purchase the CCS adapter on the Tesla Shop, I'm told that I require a retrofit. Will the shop eventually update and recognize my car now has CSS support, or do I still need to go through a 3rd party to purchase? Thank you!!

Will the shop eventually update and recognize my car now has CSS support, or do I still need to go through a 3rd party to purchase? Thank you!!
You can also take it to Tesla SvC and complain that you are not able to buy the adapter even though your car supports it

But I have seen some cheap $120 adapters on AliExpress.com

Oh, cool you can even use CCS2 into your Tesla connector with AliExpress adapters:

Last edited:
Weren't we able to order the adapter from the app, but I don't see it anymore. Nor do I see where it says if the retro fit is available yet for my car. I really hate the changes Tesla makes to the app so often, I get used to one thing and then it's all different. Making something better is one thing but change for the sake of change is completely not needed. And Tesla still hasn't contacted me for the rear camera cable recall, like they said they would. I just checked the app and now it says I have to contact them. Pretty sure that's not how recalls work.

I got the recall taken care of a few months ago when something else came up and they guy doing it at my house commented how EVERYONE has already had this taken care of. "What??? No body said anything to me other than when I first made an appt for it and they shut me down saying they would contact me when the parts were in!"