Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pouch cells inevitably have a more flexible outer case than cylindrical. That in turn means there will be mechanical movement going on to a greater extent than in cylindrical. Combine that wth dendrites, add in poor BMS, and voila, bang.

(as many laptop and cell phone owners find out when they take off their bulging cover plates.
indeed:

1630418139792.jpeg

Ive seen countless iPads and Macbooks with expanded batteries at work. Most caused by overcharging and excessive heat. I rarely to never see such issues with cell based batteries found in other laptops. There appears to be some inherent flaw with pouch type batteries.
Happens in the Prius too, as well as in my UPS. Any non-round battery format is subject to expansion.

Happens in the Prius too, as well as in my UPS. Any non-round battery format is subject to expansion.
Well... round are also, but steel cylinders are really good at containing the expansion pressure. Similarity, well made prismatic or pouch based packs do not expand externally, it just takes a lot more structure to implement.

...Is anyone else concerned with a giant macro dump due to uncertainty?

Still crazy to me that $17.4T now are, currently, in banks.

Edited Note: NOT TRYING TO JINX IT.

Last edited by a moderator:
The world anyone of us grew up in is long gone away.
Florida has first place in this crap.
Four lane highways were 2 lane dirt roads when I moved here 35 yrs ago. Dairy road had actual Dairies on it.
You could drink on the beach. AND there were NO crosswalks for people to cross the road next to the beach.
And if you caught a fish you could keep it, no matter the size, the time of year, or the species.
A few years before that and you could drive your dune buggy from Cape Canaveral to Sebastian inlet. Ride over Sebastian inlet bridge. get back on the beach and keep going South.
Now it is Grumman, Spaceport, Hughes, (and a huge number of military and space industry leaders you guys are thinking, "Why did you not mention XXXX?")
Sidebar: Florida Man did not exist 20 yrs ago

Reactions: navguy12