Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's reasonable, thanks. It makes perfect sense to me if the disabled vehicle is already blocking traffic. A bit less sense if the disabled vehicle is already fully in the shoulder since in that scenario it creates an obstacle that didn't otherwise exist, but I get it.

Appreciate the reply.
Sure, but at a minimum, they'd want the rear bumper/ corner to stick out further than the driver's door when the officer is getting in/out.

Tesla accident. Pretty rare, so much so news media must report it. Perhaps the shorts are going into crazy desperation mode.
How many accidents, deaths and fires by ICE vehicles today?

It’s funny how most of us here are investing in THE company making the transition to sustainability their primary goal - yet when faced with laws in a sovereign country that are in place to protect endangered species of animals, or plants, or force you to prove sustainable use of scarce resources, everyone is happy to at best joke about it or at worst suggests that Tesla should be given special allowance to ignore these laws.
Yes, it’s frustrating to me too that the pace of large project construction in Germany is hindered by law, procedures and frivolous objections by groups funded by lobbyists.

But please, let’s stay objective.
ha! I have tried before to give my logic for the over-protection of every flipping little thing in Germany, and the Mods immediately knee-jerk so had they fall off their chairs/shares.
But once again I will try, and be even a little diplomatic.
Germany developed this zeitgeist of entertaining all fringe groups, even those with no merit at all, because of the most famous German zeitgeist, which caused the deaths of millions of PEOPLE. Once the War created by the followers of that zeitgeist's movement was stopped, The German People created a government that went to an extreme in the other direction. Now the nation's pendulum has swung back to an extereme, and is very cautious about over-running any small faction, and instead has empowered sleeping bats...

It was illogical to have any delay in allowing Tesla to harvest a commercial crop. Period.
All the way up to today The German Way (at least since the old German way was destroyed at the loss of say 50 million human lives?) of being afraid to do what is right because it has opposition of any sort.
And then there is the political/industrial chess game created by the current lack of focus of the German Government...
All in all Germany being handcuffed by their failure in the past to prevent their own government from abusing vast number of human beings is understandable, but is not in the best interest of the world when stunts like those are to stop a vastly more ecologically-beneficial technology to the world.
The Government of Germany may be bending over backwards to get the Tesla Factory built, but it is the Government that is in the way.

(Sidebar: Since there seems to be chip shortages now then it might not really impact production ramp up, but the German Government looks rather ...well you put whatever you feel here.)

ha! I have tried before to give my logic for the over-protection of every flipping little thing in Germany, and the Mods immediately knee-jerk so had they fall off their chairs/shares.
Germany developed this zeitgeist of entertaining all fringe groups, even those with no merit at all, because of the most famous German zeitgeist, which caused the deaths of millions of PEOPLE. Once the War created by the followers of that zeitgeist's movement was stopped, The German People created a government that went to an extreme in the other direction. Now the nation's pendulum has swung back to an extereme, and is very cautious about over-running any small faction, and instead has empowered sleeping bats...

It was illogical to have any delay in allowing Tesla to harvest a commercial crop. Period.
All the way up to today The German Way (at least since the old German way was destroyed at the loss of say 50 million human lives?) of being afraid to do what is right because it has opposition of any sort.
And then there is the political/industrial chess game created by the current lack of focus of the German Government...
All in all Germany being handcuffed by their failure in the past to prevent their own government from abusing vast number of human beings is understandable, but is not in the best interest of the world when stunts like those are to stop a vastly more ecologically-beneficial technology to the world.
The Government of Germany may be bending over backwards to get the Tesla Factory built, but it is the Government that is in the way.

(Sidebar: Since there seems to be chip shortages now then it might not really impact production ramp up, but the German Government looks rather ...well you put whatever you feel here.)

Dude! That's one step too far bringing references to the holocaust to justify whatever is just not acceptable to me, irrespective of the fact that I'm German or not. Welcome to my blocked list.

Dude! That's one step too far bringing references to the holocaust to justify whatever is just not acceptable to me, irrespective of the fact that I'm German or not. Welcome to my blocked list.
No I did not reference the holocaust to the current state actions. I refer to it as being such a negative that the government/people of Germany have over-compensated in an attempt to never duplicate anything close to Nazism..not just the holocaust.

His "block list action" is telling as to how right I am about the attempt of "Germany" to over-compensate for the allowing of Nazism to do such atrocities to so many fringe and minor groups. I believe the intention of the current government policy is to make sure there cannot be another Nazi-state. But in so doing they have gone too far in the other direction.

It’s funny how most of us here are investing in THE company making the transition to sustainability their primary goal - yet when faced with laws in a sovereign country that are in place to protect endangered species of animals, or plants, or force you to prove sustainable use of scarce resources, everyone is happy to at best joke about it or at worst suggests that Tesla should be given special allowance to ignore these laws.
Yes, it’s frustrating to me too that the pace of large project construction in Germany is hindered by law, procedures and frivolous objections by groups funded by lobbyists.

But please, let’s stay objective.
It is not the laws to protect anything that is the issue. It is the slow government process to do it. The "endangered species" might not be so endangered if some of this stuff didn't take so long to come about in the first place. My point is anywhere that hasn't been cataloged for protections should be by now.... at least in all first world countries. It's not like we just discovered we need to protect things. If a company somewhere in Germany wants to build on a site they should be handed the paperwork up front, not in the middle or at the end. It is not like the land suddenly appeared out of nowhere. I don't want to hear about how much work that would be. It is already a lot of work. If an origination is all about protecting this or that they should be on it for when it's needed not after it is wanted. It would save court costs and time.... and that is not just for Germany., it's for all organizations in all countries who work for these causes.

It is not the laws to protect anything that is the issue. It is the slow government process to do it. The "endangered species" might not be so endangered if some of this stuff didn't take so long to come about in the first place. My point is anywhere that hasn't been cataloged for protections should be by now.... at least in all first world countries. It's not like we just discovered we need to protect things. If a company somewhere in Germany wants to build on a site they should be handed the paperwork up front, not in the middle or at the end. It is not like the land suddenly appeared out of nowhere. I don't want to hear about how much work that would be. It is already a lot of work. If an origination is all about protecting this or that they should be on it for when it's needed not after it is wanted. It would save court costs and time.... and that is not just for Germany., it's for all organizations in all countries who work for these causes.
Yes.
The reason for the "slowness" is to make sure nothing, no one, not a single solitary aspect was not "respected" and given its day in the light of day to be discussed. Which is nonsensical. But is understandable when considering previous German Governments.

Make sure YOU don't react without understanding. I did not say or intimate that the Current Government has any connection with the Government of the past World Wars.

Yes.
The reason for the "slowness" is to make sure nothing, no one, not a single solitary aspect was not "respected" and given its day in the light of day to be discussed. Which is nonsensical. But is understandable when considering previous German Governments.

Make sure YOU don't react without understanding. I did not say or intimate that the Current Government has any connection with the Government of the past World Wars.
While I generally agree that things have gone to far in Europe, not just in Germany, in this regard. I do find it somewhat funny that someone from your neck of woods is up in arms over how fringe groups and reactionaries are getting influence.

And that should make the mods step in which is really my intention.

Godwin's law has made it to this thread.

Godwin's law is about random discussion and making random comparisons, it doesn't apply if actual discussion of German government is in play.

Mike Godwin himself has also criticized the overapplication of Godwin's law, claiming it does not articulate a fallacy; but rather intended to reduce the frequency of inappropriate and hyperbolic comparisons. "Although deliberately framed as if it were a law of nature or of mathematics," Godwin wrote, "its purpose has always been rhetorical and pedagogical: I wanted folks who glibly compared someone else to Hitler to think a bit harder"

Germany is no different from the rest of the European union, we have laws and we allow all citizens to air their grievances, be they genuine or fabricated, and long may this continue

I'm also shocked to see the whining here because, OMFG, local people are worried about water supplies, or other dare to care about the trees, bats and ants, or protected species

Well, it would be a far better world if more people were like this, regardless of whether others view it as trivial and petty

Last edited:
Germany is no different from the rest of the European union, we have laws and we allow all citizens to air their grievances, be they genuine or fabricated, and long may this continue

I'm also shocked to see the whining here because, OMFG, local people are worried about water supplies, or other dare to care about the trees, bats and ants, or protected species

Well, it would be a far better world if more people were like this, regardless of whether others view it as trivial and petty
It seems impossible to fine-tune human institutions very much, whether they're bureaucratic government agencies or private/public companies. Surely Tesla execs knew what they were getting into with GF Berlin -- slower progress than Wild West Texas, but really that much different from CA?

Reactions: ZeApelido

You make good points, and this is exactly one of the issues that we should be talking about: the fact that these laws exist here, and the fact that German bureaucracy is a nightmare, are know factors anyone must consider when planning a project in Germany.

The fact that Tesla either didn't do their homework, which would boggle my mind, or that the amount of justified and unjustified objections to whatsoever was much larger than any models Tesla hopefully played through, is what is slowing things down.
The fact that Tesla - through government support - managed to start construction under pending and preliminary approval (after they paid the €100MM security, which they were late for and which might have resulted in the departure of the then-project manager), is a further sign of the support Tesla has in Germany.

What irritates me is that there is a frequent "GigaBerlin is not getting built because they have to save bats" discussion on this board which is just simply populist and not the point.

Hopefully this clears up my intentions with my initial post?

(by the way - Germany sucks at big construction projects as soon as the government gets involved, point in case: BER airport....)

I've been trying to find more detailed resources for this kind of thing but they all seem fairly hard to interpret what would make them cost viable. Anyone here with the right depth of knowledge to know if a a robot that can sort through and maybe disassemble things from landfills would unlock this opportunity?

I've been trying to find more detailed resources for this kind of thing but they all seem fairly hard to interpret what would make them cost viable. Anyone here with the right depth of knowledge to know if a a robot that can sort through and maybe disassemble things from landfills would unlock this opportunity?

I don't know what this was moved to off topic galore. Tesla opening up a potentially massive opportunity to reclaim/mine valuable goods from landfills seems like a pretty great potential revenue stream or cost reduction. I never understand the rules of this forum tho.

I don't know what this was moved to off topic galore. Tesla opening up a potentially massive opportunity to reclaim/mine valuable goods from landfills seems like a pretty great potential revenue stream or cost reduction. I never understand the rules of this forum tho.
Yeah but in this case it has nothing to do with Tesla since it's not even something they are speculating about. They need lithium and cobalt in high concentrations, you won't be finding that in landfills.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec