Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me suggest.a couple of things to consider based on what I've seen so far. Many of these are contrary to above posts.

1. Any travel using Nav on AP is not recorded by the safety app. The small print says the same. I can drive 10 miles but use Nav on AP almost the entire trip. The app doesn't register that trip at all. First time I tried after pressing the button was "you haven't driven enough yet"

IF true, the braking to stop at a yellow or following distance, while using Nav on AP, is irrelevant.

2. I do not know if smart cruise alone is also ignored or not like #1. I've not tried. I suspect this DOES count on the app, including hard break at a light.

3. Regeneration braking ALONE is not triggering a hard braking ding - I use full regeneration on my MS all of the time with no hits. There might be other factors - downhill, smart cruise traffic light, car doing some braking to to lead car?

Anyone clearly see otherwise?

It does count if AP needs to brake hard in "most" but not all cases.
This is from Tesla's explanation of the safety score(I added bolding):

Is all my driving captured?
Tesla captures driving over all trips, where a trip consists of any driving (including reversing and Autopilot usage) occurring between the time the vehicle is powered on and able to be driven to the time the vehicle is powered off. Any driving and accrued mileage occurring while in service mode is excluded. Trips less than 0.1 mile will be excluded from scoring calculations. Driving on Autopilot will not be included in Safety Score calculations, but the miles driven while on Autopilot are included in the total.

Tesla captures driving over all trips, where a trip consists of any driving (including reversing and Autopilot usage) occurring between the time the vehicle is powered on and able to be driven to the time the vehicle is powered off. Any driving and accrued mileage occurring while in service mode is excluded. Trips less than 0.1 mile will be excluded from scoring calculations. Driving on Autopilot will not be included in Safety Score calculations, but the miles driven while on Autopilot are included in the total.
Thanks, I understand that, yet doesn't match what one of the developers told me. And it seems he may be right as as drive with a friend yesterday got him a ding when AP braked hard for no identifiable reason at a stop sign on a rural road.

Reactions: GargantulaKon
Elon said that they are going to tweak it.

It is clear that when full regeneration triggers negative G limit, the calculator is not ready.
What If they have found that statistically safe drivers anticipate the flow of traffic and don’t brake with more than 0.3 g force?

it seems like the easiest thing to do is to use a smartphone app to get used to the g force involved. 0.3 isn’t much. I’m pretty sure physics doesn’t care where the force came from.

So using Autopilot is good or bad then?

So using Autopilot is good or bad then?

Using AP is good for your Safety Score. Since the safety score won't record any AP fails but still track the miles, it will skew the average in your favor. The only time using AP will hurt your safety score is if AP is going to cause a crash and you have to disengage and jerk the wheel or slam on the brakes to avoid the accident. But for the most part, just cruising on AP will help increase your score.

I haven’t done any driving yet since the button but I’m already a bit salty that to get the features I paid $10k for, I have to drive it as if I own a Prius or something. Like who here bought a 400-1000HP car to drive like a grandma? Let’s be serious now.
So you want Tesla to let you drive a pre-release version and jeopardize their entry into a trillion dollar market because you paid 10k ? Oh, and make us lose millions in the stock market ?

Actually the statements you agree to said that the evaluation would continue as long as you have FSD beta on the car, and that if your scores got worse they'd remove the FSD privileges. So folks wanting FSD are signing up to monitoring for the foreseeable future.
Indeed. I think that's where it's going to get "interesting." When someone who has paid real buck for FSD gets it yanked back based on safety score ... I could see that not playing well with people.

Reactions: Ramphex and Matias
The only time using AP will hurt your safety score is if AP is going to cause a crash and you have to disengage and jerk the wheel or slam on the brakes to avoid the accident
There's plenty of cases where I've disengaged Autopilot not really to prevent a crash but because it was going to take a curve too quickly, doesn't yield for waiting pedestrians, would stop too far, etc. and these often require braking that would likely negatively impact the Safety Score with hard braking.

I haven’t done any driving yet since the button but I’m already a bit salty that to get the features I paid $10k for, I have to drive it as if I own a Prius or something. Like who here bought a 400-1000HP car to drive like a grandma? Let’s be serious now.
Yeah I'm with you. Lets say I drive like a grandma for a full week and wind up with an 89, but don't get included in the FSD rollout. At that point we may know what the "magic number" is or we may not. Honestly, not sure how long I'm willing to play that game for before it feels like "just gimme my 3 back to hell with your 'rollout.'"

Reactions: Ramphex
So if driving down the road around 65 MPH, in a 60 MPH area, and you see a yellow light if you slow to 0 any quicker than 10 seconds you trigger this. Insane!
I am pretty sure autopilot was more aggressive than this and it did not register on my trip today. I'll try it again tomorrow and see.
Otherwise look forward to a YouTube video where someone demonstrates driving around with AP and being rated an unsafe driver by Tesla. The logical conclusion by the general public would be AP is unsafe instead of concluding the safety app is dumb.
Yes it looks like "hard braking" is straight up math on deacceleration so it's possible that AP could literally trigger one of these, the equivalent of Tesla calling it's AP unsafe! Haven't worked the numbers or tested, but on AP yesterday even in a 35 MPH zone, as it approached a red light to stop (appropriately), the rate of deacceleraton was far greater than if I had been controlling the vehicle, nearly to the point of discomfort.

Reactions: GargantulaKon
One caution. If you’re traveling under Autosteer at say 55 mph and the speed limit changes to 45 and you use the scroll wheel to quickly dial down the speed by 10 mph, standard regenerative braking is strong enough to trigger a hard braking event that will hurt your score. I got ripped repeatedly for this on my test drive yesterday. I didn’t understand where all these hard braking events were coming from until I got out my State Farm app, which also tracks driving. It showed me on the map where these braking events were (it tracked them too) and they were on the open road with no traffic, but at speed limit changes.

One thinks of hard braking as slamming on the brakes, but it's much more sensitive than that.
Hopefully they will tweak the metric based on observations like this ...

Using AP is good for your Safety Score. Since the safety score won't record any AP fails but still track the miles, it will skew the average in your favor. The only time using AP will hurt your safety score is if AP is going to cause a crash and you have to disengage and jerk the wheel or slam on the brakes to avoid the accident. But for the most part, just cruising on AP will help increase your score.
I agree that would seem to be the conclusion. Having said that, I gotta say this whole thing makes no sense then. The whole thing about FSD is that the car is driving while the driver needs to pay attention. Yet they're measuring our driving habits/performance only without AP engaged. I don't believe the latter is necessarily predictive of the former. For instance the rich boy idiot (malignant narcissist) who insists on buying new Teslas then riding around in the back seat could drive like a granny for a week, get the download, then turn right around and get in the backseat. Seems like the thing to measure would have been an "attentiveness score" and it would be the inverse -- only active during AP. Pay attention: keep your FSD. Exhibit lack of attention: have your FSD revoked. Feels like the whole thing is driven (no pun intended!) by image and legality more than logic.