Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If V9 is massively better than 8.2, are people going to shut up about Elon's FSD statements or find other ways to nitpick it? I'm going with other ways to nitpick it. It's a never-ending endeavor, to the point where robotaxis are available but cause 10x less fatalities than human drivers.

Perhaps there will be a day when robotaxis achieve super-human safety. There will be a seemingly dumb FSD crash, and people here will say, "I told you Tesla FSD is a failure!"

Reactions: mikes_fsd
If V9 is massively better than 8.2, are people going to shut up about Elon's FSD statements or find other ways to nitpick it? I'm going with other ways to nitpick it. It's a never-ending endeavor, to the point where robotaxis are available but cause 10x less fatalities than human drivers.

Perhaps there will be a day when robotaxis achieve super-human safety. There will be a seemingly dumb FSD crash, and people here will say, "I told you Tesla FSD is a failure!"

Elon said a Tesla would be able to drive itself from NYC to LA in 2018, charging included. Tesla "for sure" was going to have 1m robotaxis on the road by the end of 2020. And that a Tesla with FSD would be safe enough for the driver to not pay attention in early 2020. Etc. Etc. You can look up all the claims on the previous page.

So I say again...do we think the boy actually saw a wolf this time? Or is it more likely that virtually every autonomous driving analyst is correct and we aren't all that close to level 5 autonomy with Tesla or any other company?

Reactions: Matias

I'll be nitpicking until L4 is delivered or we are allowed to transfer to new purchases.

Elon said a Tesla would be able to drive itself from NYC to LA in 2018, charging included. Tesla "for sure" was going to have 1m robotaxis on the road by the end of 2020. And that a Tesla with FSD would be safe enough for the driver to not pay attention in early 2020. Etc. Etc. You can look up all the claims on the previous page.

So I say again...do we think the boy actually saw a wolf this time? Or is it more likely that virtually every autonomous driving analyst is correct and we aren't all that close to level 5 autonomy with Tesla or any other company?

I’m very aware of what he’s said, as I’ve been following fsd for 3-4 years now. I’m just wondering at what point some here people will just be satisfied about fsd.

I guess I have a lower bar. If V9 can safely and confidently make 70-80%+ of the unprotected lefts in Chuck’s videos, I’d be flabbergasted.

• Disagree
Reactions: ladysbff
You've been here a while, right? You already know the answer--They'll absolutely keep up the FUD, whining, and nitpicking. If anything, it'll intensify as the competition (supposedly more advanced, safer, better, etc.) get further behind.

You've been here a while, right? You already know the answer--They'll absolutely keep up the FUD, whining, and nitpicking. If anything, it'll intensify as the competition (supposedly more advanced, safer, better, etc.) get further behind.

Which is why one of their competitor already have a driverless service and other competitors (Huawei, Mobileye) will be the FIRST to release to actual regular customers a more feature complete and reliable FSD that works anywhere in china, in an environment that's an order of magnitude harder than the US?

Oh sorry i forgot you people don't care about facts. You only care about your bubble.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyF4
They'll absolutely keep up the FUD, whining, and nitpicking.
I love that in the Tesla Fandom, it's considered "whining" or "nitpicking" to discuss the fact that Tesla told customers they would have a product in 2018 (and 2019, and 2020) that still doesn't exist in 2021. And this holds true no matter what version/capabilities of "FSD" you thought FSD was- none of it is here so the details don't matter. As long as you can "whatabout" another company, it's all good.

I love that in the Tesla Fandom, it's considered "whining" or "nitpicking" to discuss the fact that Tesla told customers they would have a product in 2018 (and 2019, and 2020) that still doesn't exist in 2021. And this holds true no matter what version/capabilities of "FSD" you thought FSD was- none of it is here so the details don't matter. As long as you can "whatabout" another company, it's all good.

Tesla fandom is effectively a cult (and the only difference between a cult and a religion is that one gets tax breaks, so there's an argument for it being a religion actually).

Questioning David Kor-… errr... Elon Musk just means that you're an outsider and that you don't actually want to go into Heave-… errr... FSD. He doesn't make mistakes or lie, he's testing the faithful!

Exxon Execs
The interesting thing is that this still persists- when most of what we are discussing here is FSD, which has nothing to do with an EV drivetrain.
It seems Tesla has pretty much proven EV's can work, and are the future. For that, I thank them deeply (and Elon as appropriate).
It's the fact that we've now tied EV's and self driving cars together so deeply, that it sucks that Tesla is muddying the waters with such atrocious behavior around "FSD" as it reflects poorly on what are generally great "normal" cars and gives their detractors so much ammunition.

The interesting thing is that this still persists- when most of what we are discussing here is FSD, which has nothing to do with an EV drivetrain.
It seems Tesla has pretty much proven EV's can work, and are the future. For that, I thank them deeply (and Elon as appropriate).
It's the fact that we've now tied EV's and self driving cars together so deeply, that it sucks that Tesla is muddying the waters with such atrocious behavior around "FSD" as it reflects poorly on what are generally great "normal" cars and gives their detractors so much ammunition.

This is actually an interesting point.

Notably, I did not buy a Tesla because I wanted an electric car. I bought a Tesla because at the time, it had the best real, available ADAS capabilities and because the FSD video and hype managed to get past my normal skepticism for a while. The fact that it was electric was sort of a "Meh. We'll see how I feel about that down the road" situation, as I've been a "car guy" my whole life and traditionally electric cars have been garbage.

The outcome of the whole situation is different than I would have expected at the time, in that the benefits of owning an EV are readily apparent to me and I have no interest in buying an ICE car again, at least for a daily driver (guess that's a "mission accomplished" from the Tesla standpoint in a way. Congrats, I'm onboard with sustainable transport, as long as it's not mass transit or a shared vehicle!). I had planned on keeping my Model 3 for about 3 years and then upgrading to a Model Y (which would have been last quarter), and buying another Model Y to replace our second car late next year, and replace each of them every 3 years or so.

However, Tesla's handling of the FSD thing has soured my feelings on Tesla as a company so much that I actively do not want to own another Tesla unless things change pretty dramatically on that front. So instead of buying a new car last quarter, I'm just keeping the Model 3 for now and watching the competition catch up on their EVs. Right now, there's a chance I'll replace the ICE with an Audi Q4 e-tron late this year as an experiment, depending what the option packages look like. I wouldn't want to use it for long trips due to the inferior charging infrastructure, but it might be a good solution as a daily driver since it'll likely be more comfortable, but it's also going to depend a lot on what the state of their Autosteer equivalent is like.

Last edited:
I am not sure who you think here "tied EV's and self driving cars together so deeply" or why that matters at all in this discussion.
Maybe it's all in your head?
Otherwise, source please?

Questioning David Kor-… errr... Elon Musk just means that you're an outsider and that you don't actually want to go into Heave-… errr... FSD. He doesn't make mistakes or lie, he's testing the faithful!
Question whomever, whenever, but do not create your own reality.
You and a herd of others have gotten real good at pulling out quotes that suit your narrative.
But as I've shown just a few posts above, when you listen to just seconds before the quote you chose to pull out, he clearly is trying to put context before giving his estimates a la "there is a couple things that would be helpful to calibrate".

Just like folks here refuse to read Autopilot ( https://www.tesla.com/autopilot ) what FSD Capability will be and how it will be rolled out, people choose to hear what the want to hear, or worse ppl will pick and choose what they want others to focus on.

Last edited:
Question whomever, whenever, but do not create your own reality.
You and a herd of others have gotten real good at pulling out quotes that suit your narrative.
But as I've shown just a few posts above, when you listen to just seconds before the quote you chose to pull out, he clearly is trying to put context before giving his estimates a la "there is a couple things that would be helpful to calibrate".

Just like folks here refuse to read Autopilot ( https://www.tesla.com/autopilot ) what FSD Capability will be and how it will be rolled out, people chose to hear what the want to hear, or worse ppl will pick and chose what they want others to focus on.

Ain’t that America?

I am not sure who you think here "tied EV's and self driving cars together so deeply"
We're in a discussion about autonomous cars, and someone brings up that "Exxon Executives" are the ones that are negative.
Exxon Execs want autonomous cars- they on average will encourage single occupancy vehicle usage and let more people use those. But they don't want them to be EV's.
The fact that in a conversation about how messy Tesla's autonomy path has been leads someone to say "the ones saying negative things are Exxon Execs" means for many people EV's and Autonomy are deeply tied together, or that at least Tesla's mess with autonomy gives detractors a lot of ammunition that logically should have nothing to do with EV's but works for the general population because of how much of Tesla's story is self driving as much as it is EV's.
Tell someone today that you drive a Tesla, and do you think the average question will be "what is it like to drive an EV" or "so does it really drive itself?"

Reactions: GeoffEV
We're in a discussion about autonomous cars, and someone brings up that "Exxon Executives" are the ones that are negative.
Exxon Execs want autonomous cars- they on average will encourage single occupancy vehicle usage and let more people use those. But they don't want them to be EV's.
LMAO - You must be tripping...

no wonder it is impossible to have a normal conversation, you have no concept of context, sarcasm or just plain common sense!

Reactions: BrianBigNFun
And you have no sense that it is possible for Tesla to have failed in any way, not be in the lead for autonomy, or to have ever misled a customer. And so it goes around and around.
They have also accomplished some incredible stuff. FSD is a very tough problem - which EVERYONE in the industry has "failed", going by your definition.

ps : Delay and failure are different things. Tesla would have failed when they fold up the FSD efforts.

Beyond the fact that we “still” don’t have that publicly available beta button in the service menu…

The people that do have the current beta access seem to have not re wives updates in weeks, or a month or more even…

And there have been almost no public releases in about the same period of time. I mean sure there’s like a half dozen 2021.4.15.xx versions and version a 2021.4.16.xx but besides 2021.4.15 almost no one had these releases and besides they’re all sub / sub releases with only very minor tweaks.

Show me the (wide public beta) button !