Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tell us how you really feel about a man who has changed the world through overseeing the development and commercialization of new technologies in several different industries?

Straw man play.

That he's successfully done things, even wild and exciting and groundbreaking things, doesn't negate his past (nor present nor future) acts of dishonesty or craziness. Good people can do bad things, and bad people can do good things. Take all things in their own scope and evaluate on their own merits or lack thereof.

The only difference with tesla and autopilot software is that we as the public get a tiny bit of info about the alpha/closed beta process vs a company like apple where you don't even see a new version of iOS until the day the RC build drops.
wut?!

Apple Beta Software Program

As a member of the Apple Beta Software Program, you can take part in shaping Apple software by test-driving pre-release versions and letting us know what you think.

Do you really think they filtered the people that got FSD beta based on a driving skill test that ranked them as "expert" drivers? Kinda deceptive to say this is how you chose your testers when what you really use is YouTube influence. Should we talk about funding secured or pedo tweets?

Many of the initial fsd beta testers were not influencers at all. Chuck, tesla owners sv, aidrver to name a few. At the time they got invited, they had 100-200 or less subscribers on YouTube. Dirty Tesla and Hyperchange didn’t even get invited until a lot later.

The whole influencer thing is more FUD you either peddle or fall for. I’m going with the former.

Last edited:
The whole influencer thing is more FUD you either peddle or fall for. I’m going with the former.
Did anyone without a channel get an invite?
Did Chuck and aidrver take a driving test to show they were "expert drivers" before they were accepted? Were they already known as expert drivers for some reason?
What was the application process to be a beta tester?

We have zero idea what the criteria was, but I don't see anything indicating "expert driver" was part of the decision tree like Elon indicated was the primary factor.

You're desperately misusing FUD to disparage. How is saying that Tesla picked YouTube influencers as the beta testers causing Fear, Uncertainty, or Doubt about Tesla? It's just smart marketing, you should be proud that they did it, not denying it. A controlled, NDA'd, hand picked beta pool is good for Tesla, particularly given how delayed and prolonged it's been. The only people it's bad for are normal customers that thought they would have a shot at seeing some return on their purchase via city streets autosteer in 2019, 2020, or 2021.

Last edited:
I apologize, I didn't phrase my response very well. I know they have a beta software program, but its a stable and late stage build that's been previously tested in closed beta. It's not like you're throwing on a "nightly" build of a custom android OS. Its a software that has been previously tested as stable by an internal group and didn't release to the public until the same day any details were announced at WWDC.

My point in the comparison was that at least with Tesla you're getting to see the software in action and details about it along the process of its development vs knowing nothing about their progress and it just shows up one day.

Did Chuck and aidrver take a driving test to show they were "expert drivers" before they were accepted? Were they already known as expert drivers for some reason?
What was the application process to be a beta tester?

You're being very obtuse with this. We don’t know Tesla’s exact criteria, and they have no obligation to tell us. Chuck was a US Navy commander and airline pilot.

Straw man play.

That he's successfully done things, even wild and exciting and groundbreaking things, doesn't negate his past (nor present nor future) acts of dishonesty or craziness. Good people can do bad things, and bad people can do good things. Take all things in their own scope and evaluate on their own merits or lack thereof.

I wasn’t complaining about his argument regarding fsd beta, I don’t think he is accurately portraying Musk. Which is why I i only quoted that part of his post, the part which I had objection too. Durp....

Reactions: mikes_fsd
You come off as anti-Tesla. I’ll leave it at that. I have doubts you even own one.
You are correct! I own two currently, have purchased 4 total.

Go check my post history here. I race one of them (next race this weekend!). I like them as cars. I help people with them. I have 10+ referrals in my account. I'm just anti-Tesla's very anti-consumer behaviors, such as how FSD was/is sold, and how much of the company Tesla has bet on autonomy, so that comes off in the autonomy discussions. As someone that works on their own cars, I also abhor their fight against right to repair.

When someone asks if they should get one, I always say "yes, as long as you are not buying it for ANY of the autonomy features."

While we're at it, you come off as pro-Tesla to the point that you would defend anything perceived as negative to them. Since you suggest that anyone "anti-Tesla" must be biased by some external force to post here and could not be an owner, I'll then suggest that you must be a paid shill.

We don’t know Tesla’s exact criteria, and they have no obligation to tell us. Chuck was a US Navy commander and airline pilot.
The reason this came up is I used it as an example of Elon being deceptive. He said it was going to "expert drivers" as the only criteria he listed. The data does not support this, so it does support Elon being less than honest with us. I agree they don't have to tell us how they chose, but Elon decided to do it. It's just evidence that Elon is not 100% forthcoming in his tweets. Yet, such a simple fact has to be defended heavily by the downvote cohort.

I race cars, am a pilot, and I design safety critical systems for a living. I didn't get an invite. But I don't have youtube channel... (and no, I don't care I didn't get one, and I would not be a good tester)

Reactions: BrerBear and dckiwi
The reason this came up is I used it as an example of Elon being deceptive. He said it was going to "expert drivers" as the only criteria he listed. The data does not support this, so it does support Elon being less than honest with us. I agree they don't have to tell us how they chose, but Elon decided to do it. It's just evidence that Elon is not 100% forthcoming in his tweets. Yet, such a simple fact has to be defended heavily by the downvote cohort.

With regard to careful and expert drivers, whatever that means, Elon included the caveat, "at first."

I followed the initial release of the fsd beta essentially by the minute. Initially, it was released to people who I had never heard of before, Tesla owners sv, brandone, and Kim paquette. Perhaps they were careful and expert drivers? The criteria for this could have been, "has had car for more than 2 years, no accidents on record, and over 30k miles ++ we like them!". Who knows? It doesn't mean Elon was deceptive.

The way that I took the "about a month" is that it really depends on the private release. If we have a month of testing with no accidents and interventions are 10% as often as 8.2, we will most likely get the button. If the beta decides to smash into walls or target pedestrians for fun, it could be a couple more weeks...
It only assassinated three pedestrians this week. Ship it!

So who knows what the heck he means about Saturday? We'll only know on Sunday.
Which Saturday? :D

With regard to careful and expert drivers, whatever that means, Elon included the caveat, "at first."

I followed the initial release of the fsd beta essentially by the minute. Initially, it was released to people who I had never heard of before, Tesla owners sv, brandone, and Kim paquette. Perhaps they were careful and expert drivers? The criteria for this could have been, "has had car for more than 2 years, no accidents on record, and over 30k miles ++ we like them!". Who knows? It doesn't mean Elon was deceptive.

Generally speaking if you sell someone a $10K piece of SW you don't want to create a class system in giving new features to only 1% of them.

Now I certainly don't mind a slow rollout of randomized customers to make sure the update doesn't break anything, but its nearly a year later and there is still no General FSD beta release.

Yes. Some people were asked not to upload media.

You come off as anti-Tesla. I’ll leave it at that. I have doubts you even own one.

Here’s a guy whose first video is fsd beta, so he had no YouTube presence beforehand:

Then the question remains - what was the criteria?

Tesla promised early FSD beta access to early FSD purchasers. That should have been the ONLY criteria for beta acess imo (date of purchase + willingness to participate). They could still keep the group just as small, but just sort by date of FSD purchase and take the first X names.

Tesla promised early FSD beta access to early FSD purchasers. That should have been the ONLY criteria for beta acess imo (date of purchase + willingness to participate). They could still keep the group just as small, but just sort by date of FSD purchase and take the first X names.
Don't forget the early access program from having a lot of referrals as well that never went anywhere.
So many promises from Elon that Tesla would treat early, long term, loyal customers with some benefits, and so many people beta testing FSD in 2020 Model 3's and Y's...

Remember "every loaner will be a P100DL"? 😲 Now every loaner car is locked on chill if you can even get one instead of an Uber credit.

Our policy for service loaners is that the service loaner fleet will be the very best version of a Tesla that is available. If you have a Model X that comes in for service, the service loaner you will get will be the absolute fully loaded state-of-the-art P100D Ludicrous … Model X that we have. Same for Model S.

It will be the kind of thing where you hope service takes a long time because you have the absolute top-of-the-line as a service loaner.

Probably because the loaners got taken to the racetrack lol
Seems like the thing an Einstein level genius could have seen coming beforehand, and wouldn't have said it in the first place. And as an owner since 2016, I can tell you it was never true- I've had plenty of S/X loaners and they have never, ever, been a P100DL. Best I ever got was a beat up P85 in 2019. So they have no data on how often a P100DL would be abused.

As someone that races a Model 3, I've never seen anyone bring a Model S or X to a race track (Plenty of Model 3's though). If it was drag races, who cares, that's what the cars are great at and it's no different than a stop light.

Since we're allowed to make up reasons, it's just as likely that they didn't do it because it was something Elon made up on the spot to sound cool, but would never ever happen as it's way too expensive to maintain a fleet of D100L's on the books, particularly with Tesla's low initial quality scores.

Really makes you wonder why they lock them all on chill now, even a base Model 3. Everyone that gets one comes in came from a Tesla...

Did you know they won't let you test drive a Model 3 P not on chill either? You literally can't see how it drives before buying one. It's a shame as that acceleration would probably sell a lot of very high margin upgrades during the order process.

Last edited:
Seems like the thing an Einstein level genius could have seen coming beforehand, and wouldn't have said it in the first place. And as an owner since 2016, I can tell you it was never true- I've had plenty of S/X loaners and they have never, ever, been a P100DL. Best I ever got was a beat up P85 in 2019. So they have no data on how often a P100DL would be abused.

As someone that races a Model 3, I've never seen anyone bring a Model S or X to a race track (Plenty of Model 3's though). If it was drag races, who cares, that's what the cars are great at and it's no different than a stop light.

Since we're allowed to make up reasons, it's just as likely that they didn't do it because it was something Elon made up on the spot to sound cool, but would never ever happen as it's way too expensive to maintain a fleet of D100L's on the books, particularly with Tesla's low initial quality scores.

Really makes you wonder why they lock them all on chill now, even a base Model 3. Everyone that gets one comes in came from a Tesla...

Did you know they won't let you test drive a Model 3 P not on chill either? You literally can't see how it drives before buying one. It's a shame as that acceleration would probably sell a lot of very high margin upgrades during the order process.

I don’t know, but for a rapidly growing company, what may be true or a good idea at one point in time may not be at another time. People expecting Elon’s words to be true for eternity are constantly disappointed. And with Twitter and transcripts, we have a permanent record of everything he’s claimed. Sometimes I don’t even remember what I said last week, let alone last year.

What‘s funny about the fsd complaints / whining is that Elon is trying to hype up our lives with something that no one else has or is providing to customers; no one has even achieved fsd. The fact that it’s constantly teased and late makes us that more excited when we see news about it. A day or two ago diplomat33 got overexcited about a tweet referring to an old fsd beta update. I thought that was funny because it seems many fsd followers and owners are on the edge of their seats for a software update. I don’t know of such excitement in other industries (except gaming).

Reactions: rxlawdude