Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sidebar: My car, with NoA active, always takes the wrong freeway exit on my commute -- and I'm talking about a proper exit from a major highway in the SF Bay Area. Going 680 north, I need to take the Diablo Road exit, but it always shoots me off on Sycamore Valley Road, the exit prior -- even though that's not where the nav is indicating. Consistently. I've reported it probably 50 times.
Will v10 solve this? Will we get V10.? fsd?

😒 A slight overreaction of an exaggerated misinterpretation.

The damn car forces the blinkers on when "navigating" forks with Navigate-on-Autopilot. It's totally wrong to do so most of the time, but more importantly, it does it even when there's an adjacent lane that I could be signalling a lane change into.

Far too often, it mistakes a basic exit cut for a "fork" while on the open freeway, if the freeway curves slightly, and it signals to the left just to say "I'm not taking this exit, lol". Makes it look like I'm trying to move left.

I had hoped this would be fixed in the months after NoAP came out, but... now almost 2 years later, no improvement.
Thank you for clearing up my misunderstanding, but my MY hasn't done that...yet. I tend to let her drive in the middle lane except to pass (on the left), but maybe the reason that it hadn't happened is that we don't have your area's types of interchanges? IAC, bc we are all having to deal with the current bug-ridden version of AP, the sooner we get FSD beta, the better!

Reactions: FalconFour
😒 A slight overreaction of an exaggerated misinterpretation.

The damn car forces the blinkers on when "navigating" forks with Navigate-on-Autopilot. It's totally wrong to do so most of the time, but more importantly, it does it even when there's an adjacent lane that I could be signalling a lane change into.

Far too often, it mistakes a basic exit cut for a "fork" while on the open freeway, if the freeway curves slightly, and it signals to the left just to say "I'm not taking this exit, lol". Makes it look like I'm trying to move left.

I had hoped this would be fixed in the months after NoAP came out, but... now almost 2 years later, no improvement.

i have not noticed my car putting the left turn indicator on just to go straight on the freeway with NoA. But why don’t you just drive in a middle lane? I’ve noticed when in the right most lane, it aggressively slows down for other vehicles coming up on-ramps. When you’re in a middle lane, with clear lines on both sides, autosteer is at its most comfortable position

Sidebar: My car, with NoA active, always takes the wrong freeway exit on my commute -- and I'm talking about a proper exit from a major highway in the SF Bay Area. Going 680 north, I need to take the Diablo Road exit, but it always shoots me off on Sycamore Valley Road, the exit prior -- even though that's not where the nav is indicating. Consistently. I've reported it probably 50 times.
Will v10 solve this?

Doubtful. That sounds like a map data problem.

Map data is probably one of the biggest problems with AP/NoAP, once you know what to look for in metadata<->behavior. Improperly labeled merges and exits are just... so bad. But I've lately gotten to thinking... is it badly labeled data, or is it flawed interpretation of ambiguous map data?

I really wish Tesla was/were more transparent with how they take reports. It's a one-way ticket to a shredder. As the USB media bugs have shown, they seem to have a thing for taking a bug and turning it into a "feature". Now, it's not that you're encounting a problem... it's not taking the wrong exit! It's 😁 exercising its ability to find new routes 😁.

• Funny
Reactions: GeoffEV
i have not noticed my car putting the left turn indicator on just to go straight on the freeway with NoA. But why don’t you just drive in a middle lane? I’ve noticed when in the right most lane, it aggressively slows down for other vehicles coming up on-ramps. When you’re in a middle lane, with clear lines on both sides, autosteer is at its most comfortable position
Notice how NoA forces blinker usage when navigating exits and forks. Typically, when driving, you don't need to indicate which fork you're taking when one lane becomes two - because it doesn't affect any surrounding vehicles. Just take what you need to take.

But Tesla not only does do that unnecessary signaling... but the logic they use to implement that leaks over into other driving scenarios where it's downright wrong to do so. It's so predictable, I sometimes mash the NoAP button "off" when approaching an exit I know it'll flash to the left for, then mash it back on after passing it, just to avoid the blinker turning on.

For reasons that will get me incredibly angry and fired-up (involving speeding tickets, the discriminatory enforcement, and the need for automated speed enforcement), I don't speed more than +8, and typically only +5. Thus, I ride in the right or middle lane, depending on the freeway lanes. If it's a 3-lane with the left as a reserved HOV, that means there's only 2 traffic lanes, so I stay to the right so people can pass on the left. If it's 4+HOV, I'll stay in the middle if there's lots of entrances and merges, but if a long stretch of nothing, I'll stay in the right. There's little worse in this world than some jerk hogging the leftmost (legal/non-HOV) lane because they think it's "the smooth lane for me to go smooth and slow in".

So I observe this issue a LOT.

• Disagree
Reactions: McFlurri
My car recently (in the past couple of months, possibly since map data update) has started indicating away from exits it is not taking.

I'm in the UK, where the left lane is the "slowest" and according to our driving laws/the "Highway Code" you're only supposed to move into the other lanes for passing other vehicles (and after you've finished passing, are supposed to change lanes back.) There have been police operations where they have issued fines to "middle lane hoggers" (people who drive in the middle lane of a 3-lane motorway despite the left lane being empty.) NoA always suggests that I move away from traffic cones that are at the side of the road, which would put me needlessly in the middle lane. This is at least easy to ignore and doesn't do anything automatically.

Additionally, our Highway Code has a section on signalling. Drivers should not make any signals that could confuse other road users. Signalling away from a motorway exit (which are always on the left) seems misleading as other drivers will interpret this as an intention to move into the middle lane. I'm going to start turning NoA off/on when passing exits I'm not taking in the left lane. The behaviour when one lane splits into two sort of makes sense and probably won't confuse anyone since you're at least indicating which side of the fork you're taking (sometimes a lane forks as the road itself is about to go in separate directions), but it does seem unnecessary.

Reactions: momo3605

How did you report it? The only way to do reporting is tweet at Elon.

Bug report allegedly does nothing until someone from service manually retrieves the data for debugging purposes. I’m sure Tesla is well aware NoA isn’t perfect.
I hear equal parts "they get sent to us" (from Tesla - multiple times, any person you ask) and "they don't go anywhere" (from the peanut gallery). I'd vouch that they actually get sent, but ... it may be overwhelming and really not serve any purpose.

I'm sure they're aware, but I wish they'd quit with this whole "there's a new shiny thing we're working on!" thing, and maybe try to communicate the things they know are less than perfect so we can get closure and live with them. Source: existence and length of this thread.
¯\(°_o)/¯

Just a few weeks away now (allegedly)! Sounds increasingly (as it has for some time) like it’s just going to be opt-in to a selective beta, with some sort of screening of candidates.

So, that would not be a wide release. We’ll see if even The Button can happen by the end of September. Seems tough but I guess if they are very selective it is limited risk.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka

Just a few weeks away now (allegedly)! Sounds increasingly (as it has for some time) like it’s just going to be opt-in to a selective beta, with some sort of screening of candidates.

So, that would not be a wide release. We’ll see if even The Button can happen by the end of September. Seems tough but I guess if they are very selective it is limited risk.

I guess they will first filter based on certain conditions (if they have some kind of "safety rating", for eg). Then, probably allow certain # of testers to be added per week - increasing the number if things go well. Seems like the most responsible / useful thing to do.

Anyway, this also means it will have no impact on Q3 financials - except it can be highlighted in the letter / call.