Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I think the single stack is exciting because it would mean that highway driving finally gets updated to the latest FSD software.
But the assumption there seems to be that latest FSD software is somehow better for highway driving - even though it has been developed for city.

I don't think that would be the case - FSD beta hasn't been developed/optimized for highway driving.

Reactions: edseloh and Matias
But the assumption there seems to be that latest FSD software is somehow better for highway driving - even though it has been developed for city.

I don't think that would be the case - FSD beta hasn't been developed/optimized for highway driving.

My understanding is that FSD beta is using more advanced NN. That is why I am assuming it will be better for highway driving. Although Elon did say that it is not "polished" yet for highway driving and that is why they have not released it yet. So it may take time to get FSD beta optimized for highway driving. But when that happens, it should be better than NOA. I guess I am just looking forward to seeing improvements to NOA since it has been a long time since we've seen anything for NOA.

So it may take time to get FSD beta optimized for highway driving. But when that happens, it should be better than NOA. I guess I am just looking forward to seeing improvements to NOA since it has been a long time since we've seen anything for NOA.

I think the main difference will be that the fsd planner will be applied to all highway cars, so there will be better future trajectory planning and hopefully better merging prediction (still not great in production NoA / AP on highways).

I am just looking forward to seeing improvements to NOA since it has been a long time since we've seen anything for NOA.
I would guess the most noticeable changes will be from replacing the various incremental features with better 360º understanding that was necessary for FSD stack. For example, lane changes primarily looks at a single repeater camera, merging for onramps probably focuses on the pillar camera, and selecting lanes relies heavily on correct map data. It'll be interesting to see if various warnings for "Navigate on Autopilot limited" due to construction, sharp road curvature, poor weather, etc. are reduced/eliminated.

Personally I would be pleased to have lane changes not suddenly abort when there's a big truck 2 lanes away (because currently it thinks the truck is suddenly jumping in and out of the adjacent lane).

I would guess the most noticeable changes will be from replacing the various incremental features with better 360º understanding that was necessary for FSD stack. For example, lane changes primarily looks at a single repeater camera, merging for onramps probably focuses on the pillar camera, and selecting lanes relies heavily on correct map data. It'll be interesting to see if various warnings for "Navigate on Autopilot limited" due to construction, sharp road curvature, poor weather, etc. are reduced/eliminated.

Personally I would be pleased to have lane changes not suddenly abort when there's a big truck 2 lanes away (because currently it thinks the truck is suddenly jumping in and out of the adjacent lane).

What's interesting is that fsd beta visualizes more cars on highway NoA than production NoA, but ya, it's likely that the fsd stack will reduce vehicle jitter.

What's interesting is that fsd beta visualizes more cars on highway NoA than production NoA
Because FSD NoA behavior seems to be unchanged other than visualization, my guess is normal production Autopilot has a configuration to limit visualization to adjacent moving vehicles, and that is turned off for FSD Beta. Clearly production sees them especially parked vehicles. Maybe it's done that way because the visualization on production stack is too jittery causing people to mistrust the system.

Autopilot has a configuration to limit visualization to adjacent moving vehicles, and that is turned off for FSD Beta.

Yea, with production AP in my car, I also notice that when driving in the carpool lane next to stop and go traffic, the visualizations are delayed to render upcoming cars in the adjacent lane, so at max, there will only be 3-5 cars rendered in the adjacent lane, and they will pop into existence when they're about ~20 feet ahead of me.

It's odd that Tesla doesn't render more cars in the adjacent lane in production AP.

I think the main difference will be that the fsd planner will be applied to all highway cars, so there will be better future trajectory planning and hopefully better merging prediction (still not great in production NoA / AP on highways).
True - with 4d NN, NOA will be better. But its anot a "freebee" - Tesla would have to do considerable amount of work to get that working properly. That takes away people from city beta FSD. I prefer they bring city FSD beta to GA before attempting the merge. Well, atleast to "expanded beta" with button & actually letting thousands more in on FSD Beta before attempting the merge. At this point single stack is a distraction.

Here's a good baseline of what they'll be looking for, based on earlier sleuthing into data collection for Tesla insurance:

I have Tesla insurance and there's not yet been any buzz about implementing this. See the whole thread in that tweet stream above (click the date/timestamp at the bottom to launch the proper site). There's lots more info than just the first post.

My take: I'm mostly concerned about the forward collision warning stuff, because those still tend to happen about 30% erratically because AP is laggy as hell with acceleration and braking. It accelerates and brakes with significant lag, like a distracted driver, in recent versions compared to previous ones. Really pisses me off sometimes and the FCW occasionally goes off when there's no need to even hit the brake at the time - it just isn't sensing that the car in front is actually accelerating. I normally drive with a fat gap in front of me and it concerns me that this could be seen as "truth" somehow. But when this button and its analysis comes out, guess I'll have to be content looking like a distracted driver for a while 🙄

Last edited: