Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if there will be a minor software update pushed out for the button code or if it's already baked in and could be remotely enabled.
That's what I'm curious about as well. I'm driving a Vision vehicle, so I'm stuck in a very old build (2021.4.X.X). I hope the code is already there for the button and it can be enabled in the UI remotely via a feature flag.

Reactions: Ramphex
I'm glad they include lane departure warning counts because the folks who don't use turn signals will be punished as they should be.
You can still get lane departure warnings even with the turn signal fully on (not just the temporary 3-tick signal) as one of the triggers seems to be lack of steering probably to detect drifting. So if you turn on your signal ahead of a curve or bend such as an onramp with angled lanes for merging, Autopilot will warn if you've proactively positioned the vehicle to smoothly switch lanes without needing to turn the steering wheel.

Other false positives with lane departure warning include sharp turning when avoiding parked vehicles or giving space to pedestrians walking on the road, but Autopilot warns that you're crossing into the oncoming traffic lane. I've also gotten the warning when doing a normal simple turn at roundabouts because Autopilot got confused by the curving lines.

Maybe I should share this tweet instead of the one I shared above (this is the next tweet in the thread, but probably catches more attention):

Autopilot Strikeouts? Does anyone here ever even get those - in the life of the car? 😳

Lol nope. I don’t think strikeouts are common. I’ve never had one in my life. I’m more worried about follow distance of 3s. I’ve lowered my autopilot follow setting to 4, and it feels like it still follows within 3 seconds. 3 seconds is a big gap... Especially if there is traffic and other cars are trying to cut lanes to inch forward.

I’m more worried about follow distance of 3s. I’ve lowered my autopilot follow setting to 4, and it feels like it still follows within 3 seconds
We always drive with the follow distance set to 7 (the max). Even then, the car will follow at 2 seconds and sometimes closer when making lane changes. I wonder if the insurance follow time differentiates between Autopilot following vs manual driving. I suppose this should be easily verifiable in about a week once we click the button to see real-time insurance updates.

Reactions: FalconFour
Lol nope. I don’t think strikeouts are common. I’ve never had one in my life.
I would wonder if an AP strikeout would be grounds to get booted from the Button Program. 🤔 Of all the things it freaks out about or does wrong on its own, ignoring the numerous warnings and not goosing the accelerator past AP's acceptable speed is the easiest thing to not do.

We always drive with the follow distance set to 7 (the max). Even then, the car will follow at 2 seconds and sometimes closer when making lane changes.
Yep, I have documented this at just absurd, frustrating length over in Autopilot leading-car tracking significantly worse after the radar-removal push ;) Mostly frustrated that AP feels drunk/distracted in its reaction time with recent updates.

We always drive with the follow distance set to 7 (the max). Even then, the car will follow at 2 seconds and sometimes closer when making lane changes.

You know, that's actually a good point. I did kind of notice the same thing. When cars were braking in front of me, the follow distance would shorten quite a bit, but when the vehicles accelerate away, it would grow that distance back up and become quite long. I've noticed this more on follow distance of 4 vs follow distance of 2. With it set to 2, it accelerates behind other cars a lot more rapidly and keeps the gap more consistent. I would test that out if I were you.

It seems like what they should look at is how quickly the user disengages Autopilot when it's doing something wrong. One of major potential safety issues with FSD Beta is the reaction time of the user. They also need some way to filter out people who seem to think FSD Beta is some sort of game where the goal is to see how long they can drive erratically before disengaging at the last second.

Anyone ever tried to get "tesla insurance" and are familiar with the process? Is it a different app or something we have to download on our phones?
I have Tesla Insurance - and have had it for most of the past 3 years with my Model 3. It's great. It's not a special app - in fact it's not even a special website; it's kinda sloppily glued-on to the main account site with Tesla. It's just insurance: looks, acts, tastes, smells like insurance, down to claims and everything (they provide Enterprise rentals... which... doesn't include renting a Tesla or any other plug-in hybrid or EV. So I had to find a rental elsewhere, which they didn't cover, lol).

There's not been any buzz yet about implementing this stuff or customizing plans to driving habits. Tesla Insurance has been totally quiet.

Reactions: edseloh and pitabun
It seems like what they should look at is how quickly the user disengages Autopilot when it's doing something wrong.

That might be a hard metric to look at. If a user disengages before autopilot does something stupid and crashes, how would Tesla know?

I do agree though that follow distance or how often you use the acceleration of your model 3 performance are bad indicators of familiarity and expertise with L2 driver assist features

Maybe a better metric would be, people who use autopilot frequently but also have the least amount of red flashing and blaring warnings, so some kind of ratio of miles on autopilot/# of red warnings.

Which would mean you are comfortable with L2 driver assist feature, and you don't keep your hands off the wheel for a long time, and you're ready to disengage when the road becomes wonky. Also it would filter out people who try to irresponsibly use autopilot on city streets, because that usually leads to tons of alarms.

That might be a hard metric to look at. If a user disengages before autopilot does something stupid and crashes, how would Tesla know?

I do agree though that follow distance or how often you use the acceleration of your model 3 performance are bad indicators of familiarity and expertise with L2 driver assist features

Maybe a better metric would be, people who use autopilot frequently but also have the least amount of red flashing and blaring warnings. Which would mean you are comfortable with L2 driver assist feature, and you don't keep your hands off the wheel for a long time, and you're ready to disengage when the road becomes wonky. Also it would filter out people who try to irresponsibly use autopilot on city streets, because that usually leads to tons of alarms.
Yeah, it does seem tricky. They could just manually look at disengagements and see what happened. Obviously that would be too much work to do for everyone though.
It just doesn't seem like a "good" smooth driver necessarily is the best choice to use FSD Beta except that they might be so annoyed by it that they stop using it. haha. The thing is that people with the most experience with Autopilot are the ones who get in trouble so I'm not sure experience with L2 systems is a good metric either.

I have Tesla Insurance - and have had it for most of the past 3 years with my Model 3. It's great. It's not a special app - in fact it's not even a special website; it's kinda sloppily glued-on to the main account site with Tesla. It's just insurance: looks, acts, tastes, smells like insurance, down to claims and everything (they provide Enterprise rentals... which... doesn't include renting a Tesla or any other plug-in hybrid or EV. So I had to find a rental elsewhere, which they didn't cover, lol).

There's not been any buzz yet about implementing this stuff or customizing plans to driving habits. Tesla Insurance has been totally quiet.
I bought it yesterday since it's cheaper than most anything else I found. I had to google for it and it was just randomly slapped on some side site of theirs LOL

Reactions: FalconFour