Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official CCS1 adapter finally coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering what will be involved to get this working on 2018-2020 Model 3's. It's possible that the Korean imported cars all have the CCS comms necessary for a passive adapter to work. However, we know that the early Model 3's don't have the electronics required for CCS digital communication. I assume a board replacement will be needed for at least some older North American Model 3/Y vehicles. For those that don't know, this is the approach (additional digital communication ECU) Tesla used to provide CCS adapter compatibility for older S/X vehicles in Europe.

Good news is my unopened Chademo adapter now seems to be worth about $800. Selling it on eBay now! The Supercharger network is now super solid on the US395 route I originally purchased it for.
I'll definitely buy one of these when they're available here.
I am wondering what will be involved to get this working on 2018-2020 Model 3's. It's possible that the Korean imported cars all have the CCS comms necessary for a passive adapter to work. However, we know that the early Model 3's don't have the electronics required for CCS digital communication. I assume a board replacement will be needed for at least some older North American Model 3/Y vehicles. For those that don't know, this is the approach (additional digital communication ECU) Tesla used to provide CCS adapter compatibility for older S/X vehicles in Europe.
Are you sure the Model 3 hasn't always been electrically compatible with both standards?

Early Model 3s , for example my own 2018, was hardware compatible with CHAdeMO from the factory. I only needed to wait for a specific software update in order to allow usage of the CHAdeMO adapter. Forget which version but I think it was released mid-2019.

edit: Checked my notes... it was 2019.24.4.2 that enabled the CHAdeMO adapter.

Are you sure the Model 3 hasn't always been electrically compatible with both standards?
The CHAdeMO adapter is an active device that has a computer inside to communicate with the charger on one side and the vehicle on the other. The European CCS adapter is a purely passive electro-mechanical device and the new CCS adapter for Korea appears to be the same. That means that the CCS powerline digital communication IC has to be in the car. We know the 2018 & 2019 Model 3 cars certainly don't have it. However, Tesla could have changed it at any point from 2020 onward. I presume that all the cars exported to Korea by Tesla already have the required hardware to support this adapter. That was the rationale for my comment asking about hardware upgrade for older North American Model 3 cars.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Jeff N
It seems possible that they designed the original electronics so that it would also work in Europe with just a change to the physical port. I'm just wondering how we know that's not the case?
Because they had completely different charge port controller boards for NA and Europe back then. And it has been reported that you can swap the board to give older Model 3s CCS capability.

Ah, didn't realize that. I was under the impression that Model 3 in Europe were always shipped with CCS ports.
You misunderstood the post. Model 3 cars shipped to Europe always had CCS ports and always had a different charge port controller board than cars shipped to North America during the same production period.

I just looked it up, Model 3 deliveries started in Europe in February 2019. That is earlier than I thought.

I presume that all the cars exported to Korea by Tesla already have the required hardware to support this adapter.
I suppose if we figured out when the first Model 3 was delivered to South Korea that might be a good clue that all Model 3 (and model Y) cars being built from that point on may have the correct circuitry for supporting CCS. Of course, some cars built before that might also have it.

You misunderstood the post. Model 3 cars shipped to Europe always had CCS ports and always had a different charge port controller board than cars shipped to North America during the same production period.

I just looked it up, Model 3 deliveries started in Europe in February 2019. That is earlier than I thought.
Now it all makes sense. There are multiple revisions of the "CP ECU" (looks like they're on 4th gen in North America) and there is evidence that the old one does not support CCS. That's unfortunate for me as I have an August 2018 build.

Now it all makes sense. There are multiple revisions of the "CP ECU" (looks like they're on 4th gen in North America) and there is evidence that the old one does not support CCS. That's unfortunate for me as I have an August 2018 build.
They are supposedly easy to swap out. Just wait until you have a software update pending, swap the module, and start the upgrade. (And I would imagine they are fairly inexpensive on eBay, at least until people buy them all up to enable CCS.)

Reactions: kayak1