Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official CCS1 adapter finally coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are we sure this isn't an official Tesla account?

It was created by the head of Supercharging, and has the Twitter check mark indicating that it has been verified. So we are sure it is official.

Wonder what they plan on doing for Model 3's like me that are pre-2020 and didn't come with the PLC modem in them?
They will likely have a retrofit option available, that will cost more, just like they do with the CCS adapter in Europe.

True. I'm reading on a local Tesla group (from a person knowledgeable in electric vehicles) that only 2021 models might have the onboard charger that's compatible with CCS. That's what I'm assuming so far, trusting that person, that 2018-2020 models will need a retrofit, if Tesla offer it.

TO BE CLEAR: This is not an official statement from my part. It's what I believe as of now, based on what I've read elsewhere. Nothing more.

True. I'm reading on a local Tesla group (from a person knowledgeable in electric vehicles) that only 2021 models might have the onboard charger that's compatible with CCS. That's what I'm assuming so far, trusting that person, that 2018-2020 models will need a retrofit, if Tesla offer it.

TO BE CLEAR: This is not an official statement from my part. It's what I believe as of now, based on what I've read elsewhere. Nothing more.
This would make logical sense as Tesla has been teasing that CCS adapter in North America for what seems like ages now. There are articles from 2019 and 2020 about it readily available on Google. So with the 2021 refresh in Q4 2020, they added this to the list of things they "refreshed." However, logic doesn't always equal the truth!

That absolutely is an official Tesla account. It has the blue checkmark. No way Twitter is verifying a fake Tesla account. Tesla would surely have it taken down.

Odd. I'm certain that the certified checkmark wasn't there when I looked this morning. Browser or site issue maybe, or maybe fat-fingering (AKA clicking on the wrong link!). Oh well.

We'll get the CCS passive adapter in the US, but there will be a caveat that certain build dates (pre 2020 is my guess) will need to have a mobile service scheduled to upgrade the Charge Port ECU to a Gen4 at a marginal cost. Thankfully the Charge Port ECU's are not very expensive, even on Tesla Parts website.
You can see we're up to a GEN4 on the Charge Port ECU, Here's the part numbers for a model 3:
1092755-98-D <--- Gen3
and
1537264-00-B <--- Gen 4
Both of those are for the NA market.
And right on the parts website: https://share.getcloudapp.com/yAu047K2

Check this video, Ingineerix mentions that the PLC modem didn't start going into North American Tesla's until about 2020: