Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is strange, as the following is the header on my agreement (underline added):

Purchased in Alabama, California, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, Nevada, South Carolina, Texas,Vermont, Washington and Wyoming.

But, we still do not have the warranty extension offer.

Perhaps they are pairing a pothole state with a non-pothole state to keep the costs down.

The picture of the back says Copyright 2009, so is this the same plan they are offering now? If so, why did they publish this in 2009 and not announce it until 4 years later? I would guess many ideas came and went between 2009 and today.

Obviously they didn't publish it in 2009, since it contains pictures of a Model S that didn't exist then. Hard to say what the copyright refers to, or it could just be a mistake.

I see that if I sell my Model S, the pre-paid service plan is transferrable to the new owner (for a fee). That's good.

What happens if the Model S is destroyed in a road accident, or by fire, or other cause?

Is there some pro rata refund in this situation?

Of course none of us expect to have an accident, but over the course of eight years *some* of us are unfortunately going to have one, statistically speaking. If would be nice, in an already-unpleasant situation like this, if Tesla were not to take a hard line and say, "Sorry about your car being wrecked, and by the way we'll be keeping your service plan money."

Just got off the phone with Tesla. The WA state warranty extension is still not available but, it really doesn't matter since I can buy that up to 30 days prior to my first 4 yr/50k warranty expiration. After a long discussion, and the fact that I only live about 7 miles (only 2 miles from work) from a service center, the smartest option for me is to buy the basic 4 year plan for $1900. Even though I will likely own my car for more than 4 years, I still decided to buy the base 4 year plan as I can always buy the 4 year service extension and the 4 year warranty extension before primary service and warranty expiration. I can't think of a rational reason to buy the hedge against inflation. However, I do see a reason to buy the 4 year plan over $600/year.

Ranger service doesn't make sense because I live and work so close to the service center.

The tire warranty has too many exclusions. The biggest warranty here will be when Tesla does a software update to provide predictive parking lines and the back-up camera. They told me it was their single biggest feature request.

I called TM and they told me I can't purchase the second 4 year service extension down the road (maintenance extension). They said I have to buy either 4 or 8 years upfront. I hope my info is wrong.

I called TM and they told me I can't purchase the second 4 year service extension down the road (maintenance extension). They said I have to buy either 4 or 8 years upfront. I hope my info is wrong.

That was my understanding. You can hold off on the warranty extension later (before the original warranty expires) but I was under the impression that you had to decide on the 4 or 8 year service plan up front.

I chose 8 years (100k) since I'm a high mileage driver and I'll blow through my 50k service plan in a little over 2 years.

I just signed up for the:

4-Year Plan
Tesla Service for four years
Up to 50,000 miles
Tesla Ranger service optional for $100 per visit.

I am only 15 miles from the Rockville Service Center so this will give me the opportunity to get a P85 as a loaner. Now I just need to start racking up miles on the Ubercar.

I orderd the car on 03/31/2013 the same day as ELON's announcement and did sign the paper work the next day, but no updates for few days. Out of curiosity i called them and they said according to new policies that went in to effect from 04-01-2013 there is no paper work needed and i have 2 week window until 04-18-2013 to change the configuration which i dont need and on 04-21-2013 they took my order and changed the status after calling twice. Thats a poor follow up for a company that is fairly new and the customer service sucks. Till date there is not even one reply to my emails.
i am scared now how can the service for this car be when i buy a 8 year service plan.
but according to this thread most of them are suggesting a 8 year if you are going to hang on for the car for long time or if you are a frequent traveller.
may be i will go with that too.

RN544xx3 - VIN ???? - 85kWh Model S - Blue - Air ride - 19" wheels - Tan leather - Obeche wood gloss
Reserved: 03/31/2013, sent for production : 04/21/2013 Delivery:??/??/????

I orderd the car on 03/31/2013 the same day as ELON's announcement and did sign the paper work the next day, but no updates for few days. Out of curiosity i called them and they said according to new policies that went in to effect from 04-01-2013 there is no paper work needed and i have 2 week window until 04-18-2013 to change the configuration which i dont need and on 04-21-2013 they took my order and changed the status after calling twice. Thats a poor follow up for a company that is fairly new and the customer service sucks. Till date there is not even one reply to my emails.
i am scared now how can the service for this car be when i buy a 8 year service plan.
but according to this thread most of them are suggesting a 8 year if you are going to hang on for the car for long time or if you are a frequent traveller.
may be i will go with that too.

RN544xx3 - VIN ???? - 85kWh Model S - Blue - Air ride - 19" wheels - Tan leather - Obeche wood gloss
Reserved: 03/31/2013, sent for production : 04/21/2013 Delivery:??/??/????

You will be fine. I live west of Philly, got my car mid-Dec and have around 4600 miles so far.
No regrets! Come to our next Delaware Valley Tesla Owners Meeting and learn from a lot of owners.
1810 Chapel Ave Cherry Hill, June 18th at 6pm. I signed up for the 8 year service agreement.

In light of Elon's announcement today that Tesla will deliver loaner cars to customers' home/office when scheduled for service, this may make it less urgent to purchase the service plan including unlimited Ranger service, at least if you are located a reasonable distance from a service center where they have loaner cars available.

So has anybody figured out whether this loaner car drop off/pickup service to your home or office is included with the annual service whether or not you have the unlimited ranger service? I am debating on whether to add the ranger service to my 8 year prepaid service plan. If the loaner car delivery service is included WITHOUT the purchase of unlimited ranger service, I will probably pass on it.

So has anybody figured out whether this loaner car drop off/pickup service to your home or office is included with the annual service whether or not you have the unlimited ranger service? I am debating on whether to add the ranger service to my 8 year prepaid service plan. If the loaner car delivery service is included WITHOUT the purchase of unlimited ranger service, I will probably pass on it.

I signed up for ranger service and they are coming to pick up my car at my house to put on my spoiler and deal with a few minor warranty items back at the service center.. The service mgr mentioned that he could do this since I have the unlimited ranger visits. So I inferred that if I hadn't signed up I would have to bring the car to the center. I would call your local service center manager and ask them directly.

They also offered to drop off a model s loaner for me to drive but I have an extra car so I didn't bother.

It would make no sense that they would come drop off a loaner car if you do NOT have the unlimited ranger service. If they did that (for free), as you say, nobody would really need ranger service. I would think that if you have ranger service, they come to your house for service and can, as well, drop off a loaner. If you do not have ranger service, you bring your car to the service center and take the loaner from there. Just my opinion as to what makes sense but who knows....

It would make no sense that they would come drop off a loaner car if you do NOT have the unlimited ranger service. If they did that (for free), as you say, nobody would really need ranger service. I would think that if you have ranger service, they come to your house for service and can, as well, drop off a loaner. If you do not have ranger service, you bring your car to the service center and take the loaner from there. Just my opinion as to what makes sense but who knows....

From this article

All told, the fleet will amount to about 80 cars now that his production lines are catching up to consumer orders. In addition, he plans to have Tesla service workers drop off loaner cars at customers' offices, homes or wherever they may be, rather than requiring them to drive in to service centers.

I agree with @znino's speculation: dropping off a loaner car at your house or office and taking your car away counts as Ranger service. Arguably, it counts as two ​Ranger trips (@$100/each): one to drop off the loaner, another to pick it up. Hard to see how they could offer to-the-door service for free while charging for Ranger visits. If you don't have Ranger coverage included, you could still benefit from the loaner program by driving off from the Service Center in a loaner, rather than waiting around for them to fix your car or getting a POS from Enterprise.

This makes absolutely no sense. Ranger service isn't free if you don't get the unlimited ranger visits via the service plan. It costs $100 per visit. Why on earth would someone expect different treatment of a customer that paid up front or on a per visit basis for the same thing? This isn't that difficult to comprehend.

This makes absolutely no sense. Ranger service isn't free if you don't get the unlimited ranger visits via the service plan. It costs $100 per visit. Why on earth would someone expect different treatment of a customer that paid up front or on a per visit basis for the same thing? This isn't that difficult to comprehend.

Not sure I understand the last sentence qwk. Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing. All I am saying (same as Robert.Boston) is that the the whole point of the ranger service is that you pay so that you DON'T have to go and take your car to the service center. If Tesla puts out a program where they will bring a loaner to you, take your car to the service center, bring your car back to you and take the loaner back and this is free, it comes out to exactly the same "service" as the Ranger program which costs money. I will be very unhappy if that is the case as i have PAID for the ranger service. I don't care if my car is serviced in my garage or the service center. I just dont want to bring it to the service center and am willing to pay for that luxury.

Not sure I understand the last sentence qwk. Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing. All I am saying (same as Robert.Boston) is that the the whole point of the ranger service is that you pay so that you DON'T have to go and take your car to the service center. If Tesla puts out a program where they will bring a loaner to you, take your car to the service center, bring your car back to you and take the loaner back and this is free, it comes out to exactly the same "service" as the Ranger program which costs money. I will be very unhappy if that is the case as i have PAID for the ranger service. I don't care if my car is serviced in my garage or the service center. I just dont want to bring it to the service center and am willing to pay for that luxury.
You have to pay for a ranger visit whether it's via the pre-paid option, or pay as you go. No difference except the prepaid option saves you a little bit of money. This is very comparable to buying tickets to an event in advance, for a few bucks less than at the door. You still get the same experience as everyone else.

From the article, it makes it seem like they are including this loaner drop off/pickup service for free. Maybe it only applies for the annual/12.5k service, but if you need other warranty work done outside of the annual service then you will need to pay for ranger service to get the loaner dropoff/pickup? Again, this is just a speculation and I have not confirmed this with Tesla either way.

You have to pay for a ranger visit whether it's via the pre-paid option, or pay as you go. No difference except the prepaid option saves you a little bit of money. This is very comparable to buying tickets to an event in advance, for a few bucks less than at the door. You still get the same experience as everyone else.

Yes, i understand that. Prepaid Ranger service or pay-as-you go Ranger service are both paid options. Both allow you to NOT have to drop off the car at a service center. I am just saying that if they are willing to bring me a loaner, take my car to the service center for me and bring it back to me for free, there would be no point in anyone paying for the Ranger service.

What are the normal maintenance items that they will handle? I just don't see $600 worth of service for the vehicle per year with no synthetic oil to change, etc. Am I missing something? Just have a few more days to purchase the service plan. Any ideas on real cost to do necessary maintenance or what is required?

What are the normal maintenance items that they will handle? I just don't see $600 worth of service for the vehicle per year with no synthetic oil to change, etc. Am I missing something? Just have a few more days to purchase the service plan. Any ideas on real cost to do necessary maintenance or what is required?

If you prepay for 4 years, it is $475 per year. It is basically mandatory if you want to keep the warranty intact. There may be a way around it but don't think there is much choice. The will replace all items expect tires during the warranty period so probably worth keeping the warranty intact.