Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...prepaid service...

It sounds like this is another case of "you snooze you lose" as they no longer have pre-paid maintenance on the menu anymore. Maybe it's still available as off-menu if you are still fast enough!

They used to offer 8-year pre-paid plan then down to 4-year then now zero-year!

The prices of Extended Service Agreement (extended warranty) are still available at:

Extended Service Agreement

Its terms and conditions are at:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/service/vehicle_extended_service_agreement_en_us.pdf

Owners do report that they have to pay $200 deductible each visit as indicated in the document.

However, I had the following extended warranty visits (all after 50,000 to under 100,000 miles) for no additional cost, no deductibles for my 2012 Model S that I now traded in this year:

>$500 Gen1 Mobile Connector

$4,000 for re-manufactured MCU (17" screen and computer)

$4,500 for cabin heater

Another case of "you snooze you lose" for my 2012 Model S as I paid the Extended Warranty for $2,4000 and I didn't listen to owners who were very vocal at that time that it's a rip off, the house always wins...

That $2,400 went up to $4,250 if I listened to them!

To be honest I suspect they are discouraging annual maintenance now. Service centers are overwhelmed, and I think theyve learned there’s not much to maintain. Except when stuff breaks, it just seems to run. I do feel good knowing my du fluid, coolant, and brakes are getting regular flushes plus alignment is a good thing.

Reactions: BertL
It sounds like this is another case of "you snooze you lose" as they no longer have pre-paid maintenance on the menu anymore. Maybe it's still available as off-menu if you are still fast enough!

The prices of Extended Service Agreement (extended warranty) are still available at:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/service/vehicle_extended_service_agreement_en_us.pdf

Owners do report that they have to pay $200 deductible each visit as indicated in the document.

However, I had the following extended warranty visits (all after 50,000 to under 100,000 miles) for no additional cost, no deductibles for my 2012 Model S that I now traded in this year:

$4,500 for cabin heater

Another case of "you snooze you lose" for my 2012 Model S as I paid the Extended Warranty for $2,4000 and I didn't listen to owners who were very vocal at that time that it's a rip off, the house always wins...

Thanks, that is very helpful. I was unable to find the text of the ESA on my own.

Last edited:

$4,500 for cabin heater

I still see a page for the maintenance plans, but it doesn't list the prices (I think it used to). However, if I log on to my account, I still see the maintenance plans and prices. For the Model S, the 3 year plan is $1550 and the 4 year plan is $2325.

I still see a page for the maintenance plans, but it doesn't list the prices (I think it used to). However, if I log on to my account, I still see the maintenance plans and prices. For the Model S, the 3 year plan is $1550 and the 4 year plan is $2325.
Curious why I see no such option, only the much more expensive Extended Service Agreements. My car is a 2015 Model S 70D.

would that have been covered under a service plan or more expensive Extended Service Agreement which seems redundant to the CPO warranty?

When you buy a Tesla CPO, you can't buy a Service Plan (pre-paid annual inspection/maintenance) nor can you buy the Extended Service Agreement (extended warranty).

Since you can't pre-pay your annual inspection/maintenance plan, you just have to pay when you bring it in.

Since you can't buy the Extended Service Agreement (extended warranty), you just have to get one out of two options that comes with a Tesla CPO:

1) 4 years or 50,000 miles warranty in addition to current time and miles whichever first .

or

2) 2 years or 100,000 odometer miles warranty whichever first (if your odometer at delivery is 99,999 miles, then you have 2 years or 1 additional mile whichever first before the warranty runs out).

Battery coolant replacement is a maintenance item, not a warranty item.

So, what part is a redundancy?

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Thanks I understand about the Extended Service Agreement now, but thought CPO could purchase a Maintenance Plan?

Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and vehicles purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or Model X subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Used Vehicle Limited Warranty which are still within the eligible purchase period, are eligible to purchase a Maintenance Plan.

per Maintenance Plans

Reactions: Willjou
...CPO could purchase a Maintenance Plan?...

I read it again:

"What is the eligible purchase period for Maintenance Plans?
Maintenance Plans must be purchased within 12 months or 12,500 miles (whichever occurs first) after the original delivery date of a new or used vehicle by Tesla, giving you up until the first annual service inspection to purchase. "

and it seems like yes, CPO can buy Maintenance Plans too.

Thanks for the correction. I stand corrected.

would that have been covered under a service plan or more expensive Extended Service Agreement which seems redundant to the CPO warranty?

Hey Vickh-

If you buy the Maintenance plan the battery coolant change is part of the plan. If you buy just the fourth year service it is also included but the fourth year service is $800 some dollars. It also includes a brake fluid flush among other smaller items which I can easily do myself.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Hey Vickh-

If you buy the Maintenance plan the battery coolant change is part of the plan. If you buy just the fourth year service it is also included but the fourth year service is $800 some dollars. It also includes a brake fluid flush among other smaller items which I can easily do myself.

amazingly enough they did for me prior to delivery since I was concerned that previous owner had done no service for 3 yrs. They don't share any "to do" red yellow green list like other cars. Maybe b/c there isn't anything else to do I hope :)

I believe the next "major service" fluid replacements will be in 4 yrs, by which time I'll have the Model Y ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Willjou
amazingly enough they did for me prior to delivery since I was concerned that previous owner had done no service for 3 yrs. They don't share any "to do" red yellow green list like other cars. Maybe b/c there isn't anything else to do I hope :)

I believe the next "major service" fluid replacements will be in 4 yrs, by which time I'll have the Model Y ;)

Awesome! I know everyone has had different used purchase experiences, but for everything that has been a negative in my process, they have made up in some fashion. And the staff has been brutally honest about themselves and followed up with me asking how they can improve. Just like how you got your battery coolant done for free, I noticed at delivery I did not have a parcel shelf or cargo net. Even though they told me my car did not come with them originally (they were options in early 2014) they sent a mobile service tech out and delivered them to me for free. While he was at my house I told him I noticed some rattles like there was a loose clip in the hatch and he fixed that for free even though it is not covered under warranty.

Some may say you shouldn’t have to deal with the difficulties and quality issues some of us have faced from a luxury car company.

However I have always believed that if a company truly works to make things right, in the end that is what is important.

Reactions: David29
Yup, just doing the even year maintenance... and still planning on selling the TSLA stock at 3 years 11 months to buy the extended plan. So far, the stock is still well over the additional cost for FSD and the 4-8 year coverage on not buying on day 0.

Just got my used 2016 Model S 90 delivered last week. Absolutely love it. It comes with 2 different warranties, 4 years and 50k miles PLUS 6 years infinite mile battery and drive warranty.

On the top of that I do see 3 and 4 year maintenance plan buying options in my Tesla account. However, there is no such option available as Extended Service Agreement probably because I already have the 4 years 50 k warranty.