Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Replacement Battery Option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My hope is simply that Tesla will spell out precise terms of the deal when this goes live, not just referring to it as "a new battery" which GB did in his post. Personally I think just replacing an 85kwH after 8 years with a refurbished 85kwH would be really silly if there's a 120+ available, and not very good for resale. I'd love to see the option be that if you buy the highest capacity replacement option now (the $12k), you get the highest capacity battery available in 8 years (120+?), buying the lowest capacity replacement option now gets the lowest it 8 years (85?), etc. Probably unrealistic, but if so I really hope they spell out the details of how you would "move up" to a better battery in 8 years under this replacement option. Also, spell out whether we have to this at purchase or if we have some window after we get the car to decide.

Excellent idea. Or at least offer an upgrade path.

It would be interesting to hear from the Roadster owners that purchased this option. Have any used it yet?? Some people like to have insurance for everything. but in this case the battery was theorized by initial accounts to last double the warrenty period of 8 years. Many cars are not on the road after 16 years, or have changed hands. I think it's great that Tesla offered this option. I'm not sure that I would buy this insurance, however.

I want to know the following:
1)Warranty on the replacement battery
2)How long you have to order/decide if you want to buy the replacement battery
3)If there will be a financing option
4)Any criteria to qualify for replacement--can the owner go at any time for any reason (after the 8 yrs) and ask for their new battery?
5)What happens to your deposit if your car is destroyed in a crash or something..will that get paid back with proof of loss of the vehicle?
6)Is it transferable if you sell the car (would assume so)

Will the battery replacement purchase be transferable to the next owner?

The Roadster battery replacement option is fully transferable to the next owner.

I'd give more specifics on the Roadster version, but it may not be the same as Model S and could cause all sorts of speculation. (I know, that's unlikely..). But I was given a copy of the battery replacement paperwork to read at my leisure and also given a very reasonable amount of time after purchase in which to make a decision.

That's how I read it but of course that means you're waiting 8 years for the added range.

Precisely. You're giving them $12k for 8 years or more. I suspect that they feel they'll be able to get a very good return on the capital and are expecting a signifcant price drop by the time you replace it. There'd also be some loss of cars, but not that great.

Here's a copy of the Tesla battery replacement agreement for the Roadster for reference:
http://webarchive.teslamotors.com/display_data.php?data_name=Battery_Replacement

The terms are:
-You get a battery that holds at least 53kWh capacity (Roadster's capacity)
-Tesla keeps your old battery (exchange it for the new one)
-$12000 upfront ($1000/year to the owner if battery replaced after the 8th year of the car's life, $2000/year to Tesla if before 7th year)
-Can request replacement anywhere from the expiration of the new vehicle warranty to the 10th year of the car's life.
-it's transferrable
-3 year / 36k mile warranty on the battery replacement.

Here's a copy of the Tesla battery replacement agreement for the Roadster for reference:
http://webarchive.teslamotors.com/display_data.php?data_name=Battery_Replacement

The terms are:
-You get a battery that holds at least 53kWh capacity (Roadster's capacity)
-Tesla keeps your old battery (exchange it for the new one)
-$12000 upfront ($1000/year to the owner if battery replaced after the 8th year of the car's life, $2000/year to Tesla if before 7th year)
-Can request replacement anywhere from the expiration of the new vehicle warranty to the 10th year of the car's life.
-it's transferrable
-3 year / 36k mile warranty on the battery replacement.
Thanks, that helps some. Would expect the same or very similar terms.

This is isn't meant to sound glib, but I'd be more worried about your physical well-being if your Model S is destroyed in a crash.
Well of course, but it doesn't take much to total a vehicle these days and I expect insurance will cover a replacement vehicle...but if the car is 6 years old and there are other EV options available, I might want to buy something else. So yes, the vehicle and the passengers' lives are most important, but leaving $12,000 out there unrecoverable would not be so great either. It's a reasonable question...if there's a signficant chance that I could never recover that money then that weighs into my decision on whether to take out that particular insurance policy.

I'm definitely getting the extended warranty but may pass on the battery replacement option. I think I would be inclined to get a new car in 8-10 years anyway.

I agree, I would too. I think the question is that if you're selling the Model S can you get more than $12k more for it WITH a new battery or transferring the option for the new battery with the sale of the car. It seems somewhat unlikely that you would get that much value, but who knows...if the batteries degrade faster than Tesla is anticipating it may be worth a lot in resale.

Are we only able to get the new battery after the 8 years? What if I exceed the mileage limit on the 40 or 60 KHW battery? I bring this up because I am a high mileage driver and I would hit the 100,000 mileage limit on the 40 battery after only 4-4.5 years. I average 23,000 miles per year on my MB and we take my wife's car whenever possible in the evenings. However, we'll use the Tesla for almost everything because of the comfort and the low cost to operate. (I'll easily put 25,000 miles per year on the Tesla)

I don't think a high mileage driver like myself can really expect a 40/60 KWH battery to last 8 years. I plan on buying the 60 KWH battery so what happens if I have a battery failure before 8 years but after my warranty expires?

Those of you that think you can upgrade an S battery size of say, 40 to 85, will be severely disappointed. Beside cable sizes and charger issues, Tesla has already said that suspension id different for the different weights of battery. Even if Tesla were to offer some sort of upgrade they will not announce for seven years so you just have to assume it will not happen.

Interesting that battery tech doubles in 10 years and life of battery is 8 years. 85% better is not bad.

We are now four+ years into Roadster ownership. Bonnie's $12K battery is $32K ish (I forget if that includes the 40 hours of labor to replace) and there are NO hints on a new battery which should be 50% better that what's in the cars now. For the S you may get a better battery but you should not count on getting a size upgrade.

Those of you that think you can upgrade an S battery size of say, 40 to 85, will be severely disappointed. Beside cable sizes and charger issues, Tesla has already said that suspension id different for the different weights of battery. Even if Tesla were to offer some sort of upgrade they will not announce for seven years so you just have to assume it will not happen.

Interesting that battery tech doubles in 10 years and life of battery is 8 years. 85% better is not bad.

We are now four+ years into Roadster ownership. Bonnie's $12K battery is $32K ish (I forget if that includes the 40 hours of labor to replace) and there are NO hints on a new battery which should be 50% better that what's in the cars now. For the S you may get a better battery but you should not count on getting a size upgrade.

The Tesla strategy is to provide more cost effective, smaller batteries for the Roadster. The current out of pocket cost for a replacement 53kwH battery is still quite high. The cost of the battery is ~$32-$34k, the labor is in the neighborhood of $6-$8k. Bottom line: Tesla is investing a lot of resources into a new ReMan facility. This will ensure refurbished battery packs of promised capacity, will be delivered for the foreseeable future.

Are we only able to get the new battery after the 8 years? What if I exceed the mileage limit on the 40 or 60 KHW battery? I bring this up because I am a high mileage driver and I would hit the 100,000 mileage limit on the 40 battery after only 4-4.5 years. I average 23,000 miles per year on my MB and we take my wife's car whenever possible in the evenings. However, we'll use the Tesla for almost everything because of the comfort and the low cost to operate. (I'll easily put 25,000 miles per year on the Tesla)

I don't think a high mileage driver like myself can really expect a 40/60 KWH battery to last 8 years. I plan on buying the 60 KWH battery so what happens if I have a battery failure before 8 years but after my warranty expires?

If the Roadster is any indication of how the Model S prepaid battery replacement program will work, it is likely that if you exercise your option for a new battery prior to the 8 years you may have to pay a penalty. If you exercise the option after 8 years, Tesla may offer you some sort of rebate.

I agree that I wouldn't count on it but for what it's worth one of the reps in the store did say they expect to be able to put larger batteries in cars but you won't get the supercharger hardware with it.