Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Tesla CCS1 adaptor now available in Canada.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI I tried to arrange to get the CCS retrofit (and adapter) done by Tesla. They advised that the retrofits are not available for the Model 3 and Y at this time. No indication of when it might be available. I'm waiting to hear back as to whether they will sell me the part required for the retrofit.

Reactions: malou
FYI I tried to arrange to get the CCS retrofit (and adapter) done by Tesla. They advised that the retrofits are not available for the Model 3 and Y at this time. No indication of when it might be available. I'm waiting to hear back as to whether they will sell me the part required for the retrofit.
I had mine done by a local, very well respected, indépendant tech and all is perfect. He got me the Gen-4 ECU and the install took less than 20 minutes. He even found that the previous Tesla tech had forgotten to reconnect one of my trunk lights. By the way, the ECU was the official Tesla part ($325) and the adapter which I got in September, was $240 from the Tesla site. I think Tesla may be more concerned with cross-selling and upselling, than upgrading. Just my 2¢

• Informative
Reactions: DuncanM and MacNeil
He got me the Gen-4 ECU and the install took less than 20 minutes.
But note that you have a 2021 model, which already had a Gen-4 ECU without CCS, which was replaced with a Gen-4 ECU with CCS. @MacNeil has a 2018 model, which will have a Gen-3 ECU. A Gen-3 equivalent ECU with CCS is not currently available for purchase from Tesla and likely won't be until retrofits for the M3 are available from Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: MacNeil
But note that you have a 2021 model, which already had a Gen-4 ECU without CCS, which was replaced with a Gen-4 ECU with CCS. @MacNeil has a 2018 model, which will have a Gen-3 ECU. A Gen-3 equivalent ECU with CCS is not currently available for purchase from Tesla and likely won't be until retrofits for the M3 are available from Tesla.
It did not, it was a Gen3. I had to get the Gen4 ECU from someone with connections into Tesla parts. It really was not that simple. But I do understand your point.

it was a Gen3
No it wasn't. It would have been a Gen-4 ECU number 1537264-80-B, which doesn't have CCS components installed, and it was replaced with a Gen-4 ECU number 1537264-00-B, which is complete with the CCS components installed.

There is currently no official way to replace a Gen-3 ECU with a Gen-4 ECU in a Model 3. You can do it with the "bundle of wires" aftermarket adapter cable but that wouldn't have been necessary with a new Model 3 delivered in September 2021.

Reactions: Smytty
Not sure what is going on at Tesla regarding the CCS adapter and retrofit. Previously their website indicated $615 for adapter and retrofit; a flat price with no price difference based on the specific model. However earlier today their website showed $615 for the Model S/X and $475 for the Model 3/Y (as per the screen shot below). Tonight we are back to one price of $615.

1708746648102.png

Today I see that the two price levels for the CCS retrofit is back on the Tesla website; lower price for Model 3/Y versus the S/X. (The earlier change on Feb 23rd disappeared after a few hours.)

I have an email into our nearest Service Center to see if the retrofit is actually available for early Model 3's this time. (I'm not really interested in a DIY retrofit.)

Where in the service section?
On the app I considered whether to put the request under accessories or charging/battery. I ended up putting the request under Accessory; just described what I wanted done and that I wanted Mobile Service if possible. I think the app probably requires a choice of a specific service center along with a time and date. I picked a random time and date but that didn't really matter; they scheduled me for Mobile Service.

Just to clarify, if you go to the Tesla website under "Shop>Charging" it shows the price for the adapter alone ($345) or the adapter and retrofit ($475). It does not show a price for only the retrofit but perhaps that could be arranged through a Service Centre (if one already had an adapter or intended to borrow one when needed).

I had a Tesla technician out today to retrofit my early 2020 Model 3. It was the first one that he had done.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. He tried for a couple of hours. He said he would work with others to try and get it sorted out.

The estimate was $475 (0.24 labour hours) + $126 labour (0.6 labour hours). I'm not sure about the $126 line item.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 142453.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MacNeil