Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Tesla USB Needed for Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using a Samsung USB drive for some time now on both my P3D+ and X. Amazon.com
t/B0874YS2N7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie
Over the past year, however, the X's dash screen and GPS would often not turn on at all, or crash mid-drive--It's been a pain in the tuckus. Tesla kept telling me it was a software issue, and that the next update would fix it. After months, we had enough and demanded the Service Center address the issue.

The answer was as reflected in the attached invoice. They're blaming the USB drive for corrupting their entire system, and said that we should only use the USB that they sell. For warranty reasons, now, I have to do that. But I'm curious from people here that know much better than I whether this is as much BS as it sounds like to me.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0874YS2N7/

Attachments

• tesla_invoice-Redacted.pdf
    105.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Informative
Reactions: croman
Considering that the USB they sell is a Samsung device, unless you had a lower-end Samsung device, it is not going to solve the problem regardless of whether or not the USB caused the problem. That having been said, in my experience, bad USBs can cause transient problems while connected, but AFAICT, the MCU shouldn't permanently mess itself up due to anything going on with an external USB. IMO: BS, but do remove the USB whenever taking it in for service and if you don't want to mess with a lawyer, it might sadly be worth lying about the fact that the disconnected USB isn't Tesla branded should they ask.

• Informative
Reactions: gaspi101
Considering that the USB they sell is a Samsung device, unless you had a lower-end Samsung device, it is not going to solve the problem regardless of whether or not the USB caused the problem. That having been said, in my experience, bad USBs can cause transient problems while connected, but AFAICT, the MCU shouldn't permanently mess itself up due to anything going on with an external USB. IMO: BS, but do remove the USB whenever taking it in for service and if you don't want to mess with a lawyer, it might sadly be worth lying about the fact that the disconnected USB isn't Tesla branded should they ask.
Thanks, good advice and info. I just placed an order for two Tesla USBs and will use those--I'm averse to lying, especially when it comes to things that touch on legal rights...I do wish, however, that the service center wouldn't just do whatever and say problem fixed...Tesla adopting shady car-mechanic practices...

Reactions: mxnym
I've been using a Samsung USB drive for some time now on both my P3D+ and X. Amazon.com
t/B0874YS2N7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie
Over the past year, however, the X's dash screen and GPS would often not turn on at all, or crash mid-drive--It's been a pain in the tuckus. Tesla kept telling me it was a software issue, and that the next update would fix it. After months, we had enough and demanded the Service Center address the issue.

The answer was as reflected in the attached invoice. They're blaming the USB drive for corrupting their entire system, and said that we should only use the USB that they sell. For warranty reasons, now, I have to do that. But I'm curious from people here that know much better than I whether this is as much BS as it sounds like to me.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0874YS2N7/
Tesla only recently started to sell their own branded drive. I've had my Sandisk for now three years. Has always worked fine.

Yes I upgraded to MCU2 as soon as it was available as a retrofit…I’m not exactly sure what the SS did that was supposed to “fix” the problem

I think there's a software bug with the USB port that allows the system to be corrupted by just reading that port.

Older MCU might be more susceptible due to its limited memory and processing power but even with newer MCU2 power, the bug is still there but hopefully, not as often.

I was told the same thing about system corruption. My 2020 Model X LR+ started acting all wonky with screen shut-offs, A/C not working, remote unlock not working and sometimes the car thought it was a Model S. Took it in for repairs, and the tech told me that any storage device greater than 256GB will cause firmware updates to get written onto the drive rather than internally into the car. So the whole thing got corrupted. Had to replace SD card within the car and they advised to use smaller storage device for sentry mode.

I was told the same thing about system corruption. My 2020 Model X LR+ started acting all wonky with screen shut-offs, A/C not working, remote unlock not working and sometimes the car thought it was a Model S. Took it in for repairs, and the tech told me that any storage device greater than 256GB will cause firmware updates to get written onto the drive rather than internally into the car. So the whole thing got corrupted. Had to replace SD card within the car and they advised to use smaller storage device for sentry mode.
This does not sound like a very rational or logical explanation by Tesla. The main issue is that Tesla has a bug in the software and Tesla feels that the quicker work around is to change the USB card/drive rather than debug the root cause and fix it. There is no mention anywhere in the manual that the SSD/USB/card drive cannot be >256GB. Only requirements was that it has to be FAT32 compliant. Fortunately there are many software and hardware experts in this forum so it is easy to spot when the explanation is not logical.

I think I remember reading somewhere on here about unplugging the USB before doing software updates.
Not that I've ever done that.
However since sentry mode and dash cam was pushed out I've had to replace several USB devices, pretty sure I'm on device number five or six now.
Don't know if its the heat and constant use or maybe the number of writes, but it definitely seems to eventually kill them.