Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Official Tessie app talk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Spyderman09

I believe they could create location geofences in the app itself, that could toggle the setting at the car (API) layer, __assuming__ the feature (i.e., present handles) is a toggle in the API. So in other words, even if the Tesla API doesn't have location based triggers for some features, that part could be handled by the application (app detects location >> sets handle state).

Not sure about background keep alive, etc., but just kind of thinking out loud.

Oh yeah, I've been traveling and haven't even looked at the new version, there's a whole geolocation automation triggering function now, duh ...

View attachment 835503
Thanks - I should have been more specific. I don't know if actions not already in Tessie can be made part of the automation set that is offered. For example, I'd like to turn on auto-present away from home and geofence auto-present off when I'm home. But, since auto-present is not an option for an action, I presume this is a limitation of the Tesla API (i.e. if it's not in the API, Tessie would not be able to change the setting).

The geofence and automations generally are great

• Helpful
Reactions: MaskedRacerX
Is there any way to change other settings upon arriving at a location? I'm guessing no, that this is a limitation of the Tesla API.

As an example, I'd love to have auto-present handles turned on at anywhere except my home (where I'd be walking in and out of my garage enough that I turned it off because it was annoying). At work/elsewhere, I wouldn't have this problem.

When you make these automations so great (i.e. give a mouse a cookie), naturally I'm going to ask for a glass of milk.
Yeah, a lot of settings are only exposed to the in-car computer, including this one. There are a number of useful settings that I think are just a matter of time until they're supported remotely - folding mirrors would be another excellent one. I'm confident these will be added in time.

Automations is a forward-looking system built to include all of these upcoming things. It will get more awesome as the car does.

Is it ever going to be possible to schedule a departure (or even charging, for that matter) for a single day, like today only? Instead of only the option of weekdays or every day? Many times I just want to schedule a departure for a specific time later in the day and not multiple days.

Reactions: Bart57266
Is it ever going to be possible to schedule a departure (or even charging, for that matter) for a single day, like today only? Instead of only the option of weekdays or every day? Many times I just want to schedule a departure for a specific time later in the day and not multiple days.
Doubt it. Tesla firmware isn't built to support it.

I'd use the new automation feature to accomplish this. It was designed for this exact thing.

Looking to see if others are having the same issue. I am on iOS 16 public beta 4, 16.0 (20A5328h), so that may be the issue.

What I am seeing with 4.7.14 charge limit automations. I can create the charge limit automation, however I am unable to change the location. When trying to select a preprogrammed location the button presses don’t ‘open’ they just bounce. I can search, add locations and go back on this page but not select a location. I’ve removed the app and reinstalled via TestFlight but no joy, same issue.

I tried Tessie but removed it after a day of use. It did verify my own easily done calculations for battery health. I did not see anything I wanted that the Tesla app doesn't already give me. The biggest knock is having to give access to my Tesla account. I did this but was not happy, so I removed it.

Looking to see if others are having the same issue. I am on iOS 16 public beta 4, 16.0 (20A5328h), so that may be the issue.

What I am seeing with 4.7.14 charge limit automations. I can create the charge limit automation, however I am unable to change the location. When trying to select a preprogrammed location the button presses don’t ‘open’ they just bounce. I can search, add locations and go back on this page but not select a location. I’ve removed the app and reinstalled via TestFlight but no joy, same issue.
This is fixed in the next beta build! In the future, please email beta issues to [email protected] since the general public here isn't going to be using the same app that you are.

Reactions: subcritical71
I tried Tessie but removed it after a day of use. It did verify my own easily done calculations for battery health. I did not see anything I wanted that the Tesla app doesn't already give me. The biggest knock is having to give access to my Tesla account. I did this but was not happy, so I removed it.
😂😂😂😂😂I love when people see a third party app and then say I don’t want to use it because I have to give them access. That’s not how it work’s people. Get into the world of Oauth tokens and secure access using APIs to retrieve data. You’re more likely to get eaten by a shark then to have your Tesla data stolen 😶

😂😂😂😂😂I love when people see a third party app and then say I don’t want to use it because I have to give them access. That’s not how it work’s people. Get into the world of Oauth tokens and secure access using APIs to retrieve data. You’re more likely to get eaten by a shark then to have your Tesla data stolen 😶
How do oath tokens work ... bring us into the light.

I'm a little confused by this post. The only way to access your Tesla's stats is by asking permission through Tesla to do so. What is the alternative here?

Reactions: zoomer0056
On the live map, my car is shown exactly where it should be on the map, but my phone's location is about 600 feet away from where I actually am. Not sure whether this is an issue or not, but wondering if it's lack of accuracy could cause any problems. The location setting on my phone for Tessie is "use precise location".

On the live map, my car is shown exactly where it should be on the map, but my phone's location is about 600 feet away from where I actually am. Not sure whether this is an issue or not, but wondering if it's lack of accuracy could cause any problems. The location setting on my phone for Tessie is "use precise location".

Means your phone GPS is struggling. Usually caused by nearby tall buildings which interfere. Apps get your location from the underlying OS so nothing we can do on our end, but it doesn't cause issues. It's only used for showing your position.

Means your phone GPS is struggling. Usually caused by nearby tall buildings which interfere. Apps get your location from the underlying OS so nothing we can do on our end, but it doesn't cause issues. It's only used for showing your position.
I don't believe that's true. I live in the suburbs and my position on Google Maps is perfect. My position on Tessie consistently shows me at exactly the same incorrect location all the time. It does not show me at random positions as it would if the phone was struggling to locate me. Something else is clearly going on. Could Tessie be making a rounding or truncation error?

Reactions: zoomer0056
By the way, the position error happens on my PC when I'm using the website, but not usually on my phone when I'm using the app. In other words, the app usually shows my position accurately, but the website shows the incorrect position.

Last edited:
So I have my automation for charging set. I try to hit start charging as I wanted to override it for one time but it keeps shutting off and following the automation. I thought you added a fix for this to override if you hit start charging in the app

I don't believe that's true. I live in the suburbs and my position on Google Maps is perfect. My position on Tessie consistently shows me at exactly the same incorrect location all the time. It does not show me at random positions as it would if the phone was struggling to locate me. Something else is clearly going on. Could Tessie be making a rounding or truncation error?
By the way, the position error happens on my PC when I'm using the website, but not usually on my phone when I'm using the app. In other words, the app usually shows my position accurately, but the website shows the incorrect position.
Desktop browsers don't use GPS positions since they don't have GPS hardware. They use your IP address to make a guess. Different browsers (and Google Maps) use different guessing metrics.

Google Maps, in particular, has a ton of proprietary accuracy data from driving around and scanning the exact physical position of the WiFi points near you. It's one of the things that the Street View cars do.

Last edited:
So I have my automation for charging set. I try to hit start charging as I wanted to override it for one time but it keeps shutting off and following the automation. I thought you added a fix for this to override if you hit start charging in the app
You're pressing Start Charging in the Tessie app? Email [email protected] with your account email, time and timezone of when this last happened.