Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Official Tessie app talk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will Tessie cause my HV battery contactors to cycle on and off every two minutes, continuously?

I'm asking because I have tried other apps like TeslaFi and TeslaMate, and both did just that. They were connected to my account to monitor our 2018 Model S 100D. I could stand near the car and hear this pattern every 60 seconds: Double-click (turning the contactors on, from what I was told), single click (turning them off), double-click, single-click, etc. This repeated continuously, meaning it was cycling the contactors on and then off at 2-minute intervals, 720 times a day, 5,040 times a week. This was obviously going to wear them out, so I disconnected the apps and the clicking pattern stopped.

I do like seeing data, though, which is why I'm wondering whether Tessie will do the same. Please let me know.

Will Tessie cause my HV battery contactors to cycle on and off every two minutes, continuously?

I'm asking because I have tried other apps like TeslaFi and TeslaMate, and both did just that. They were connected to my account to monitor our 2018 Model S 100D. I could stand near the car and hear this pattern every 60 seconds: Double-click (turning the contactors on, from what I was told), single click (turning them off), double-click, single-click, etc. This repeated continuously, meaning it was cycling the contactors on and then off at 2-minute intervals, 720 times a day, 5,040 times a week. This was obviously going to wear them out, so I disconnected the apps and the clicking pattern stopped.

I do like seeing data, though, which is why I'm wondering whether Tessie will do the same. Please let me know.
There's a setting in Tessie so it won't wake the car when you check the app.

That's good. Does it also prevent waking the car at other times?

For TeslaFi, the clicking was happening when I wasn't even using the app.
James can chime in if I'm wrong, but I believe so. The car does wake up itself occasionally from what I can tell. Here's a screenshot from Tessie I just grabbed. I haven't driven the car in a couple days, but I did open the doors a few times yesterday (which wakes it up).

But you can see where I opened the door...those times are shaded in black. The rest of the time the car was asleep...shown by the blue shading.

Edit to say the graph shows a 24 hour period.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220807-104357.png
    Screenshot_20220807-104357.png
    130.9 KB · Views: 87

Tessie (and other third party apps) are functionally identical to opening the Tesla app. They all work the same way. Technically, all that is being done is asking Tesla for data on your car. That definitely shouldn't be causing an issue with HV battery contactors. If it is, that sounds like a wiring issue, or possibly a 12V battery issue. I would guess the latter - it's a common part issue, and it can cause lots of weird behavior.

Reactions: Bart57266
How does Tessie monitor a Tessla that's unattended for weeks at a time? Does the Tesla have to be on or can battery be monitored without waking?
As I understand it Tesla maintain a server side (“shadow”) set of data which is a snapshot of data at the point the car last checked in to the Tesla mothership. Tessie is able to query only that shadow set, which doesn’t wake the car. You obviously have to have setup Tessie to not wake the car for this to happen 😀

The Tesla app however always wakes the vehicle to refresh the data (and the shadow copy) so every time you check the car with the Tesla app it always wakes the car from sleep.

The vehicle will also periodically update the shadow copy automatically when it self-wakes.

I’ve personally turned off Tessie waking the vehicle as the shadow copy is functionally identical for my use case and means I can use Tessie for looking at historical data without waking the car unnecessarily. I’ve never seen a case where the shadow and live data differed either.

How does Tessie monitor a Tessla that's unattended for weeks at a time? Does the Tesla have to be on or can battery be monitored without waking?
You will always see the last known data of the car before it went to sleep. No data is known while sleeping. Battery shouldn't change if the car stays asleep. If it does wake up and the battery level goes down, you'll see it.

Reactions: zoomer0056
As I understand it Tesla maintain a server side (“shadow”) set of data which is a snapshot of data at the point the car last checked in to the Tesla mothership. Tessie is able to query only that shadow set, which doesn’t wake the car. You obviously have to have setup Tessie to not wake the car for this to happen 😀

The Tesla app however always wakes the vehicle to refresh the data (and the shadow copy) so every time you check the car with the Tesla app it always wakes the car from sleep.

The vehicle will also periodically update the shadow copy automatically when it self-wakes.

I’ve personally turned off Tessie waking the vehicle as the shadow copy is functionally identical for my use case and means I can use Tessie for looking at historical data without waking the car unnecessarily. I’ve never seen a case where the shadow and live data differed either.

Close! It's not a Tesla thing.

Tessie always has the last known state of the car before it goes to sleep because it's monitoring it 24/7. This is the shadow copy you're referring to. This is what you see when your car is asleep, why it's always correct, and why the car doesn't need to be woken up.

It's a much better way to interface with the car. Over time, all of the unnecessary wakes of the Tesla app will result in thousands of miles of range loss.

I'm sure Tesla is working on doing something similar, because it's a big architectural improvement.

Last edited:
4.7.16 rolling out now with some new features.
  • Export the raw data for each drive, charge and parking session by tapping ... > Export to CSV
  • New Range Added chart under charging analytics
  • TeslaFi imports now contribute to your battery health degradation graph
Nice, thanks James for all your work.

Is there any way to show usage of Autosteer / TACC as a percentage of a drive, or in distance or time used?

If not, wouldn't it be a neat feature? Just did my first real road trip and I'd love to know how much of the work was actually done by Autopilot.

Get 1 additional free month of Tessie with my referral code:

Nice, thanks James for all your work.

Is there any way to show usage of Autosteer / TACC as a percentage of a drive, or in distance or time used?

If not, wouldn't it be a neat feature? Just did my first real road trip and I'd love to know how much of the work was actually done by Autopilot.

Get 1 additional free month of Tessie with my referral code:
It would be awesome. This data isn't exposed by the firmware yet, but I'm confident it's just a matter of time.