Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Official Tessie app talk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any chance we can get an automation I will call "Airport Mode" where it turns off sentry mode, turns on valet mode and turns off Cabin Overheat protection?
Neat idea. Turning off COP is coming soon and you can do the first two already. A combined action like that might be added in the future - something like a Battery Saver mode.

James, was wondering of you can tell me why there is a discrepancy between Tessie and SMT when it comes to usable battery?

SMT currently shows 93.5% (5 minute ago at 5% SoC) .
Tessie shows 94.3% ...is this just a computation difference between now and the last charge that Tessie is showing?
Im going to do a 100% charge cycle tonight since I got the battery to such a low SoC.

Thanks in advance.

James, was wondering of you can tell me why there is a discrepancy between Tessie and SMT when it comes to usable battery?

SMT currently shows 93.5% (5 minute ago at 5% SoC) .
Tessie shows 94.3% ...is this just a computation difference between now and the last charge that Tessie is showing?
Im going to do a 100% charge cycle tonight since I got the battery to such a low SoC.

Thanks in advance.
The Tesla firmware data that Tessie uses rounds up, so it should be 94%. Where are you seeing 94.3%?

The Tesla firmware data that Tessie uses rounds up, so it should be 94%. Where are you seeing 94.3%?
Sorry for the dealy...its in "battery health" see attached This is from this morning 1005 SoC

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220815-203158.jpg
    Screenshot_20220815-203158.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 108
Sorry for the dealy...its in "battery health" see attached This is from this morning 1005 SoC
Ah, I thought you were referring to the usable battery level, which is different.

The battery management system in the car is constantly recalibrating and changing around the data, so the main difference is that Tessie is taking an average of that changing data over time and SMT is reading a single point in real-time.

Another difference may be in how SMT and Tesla factor in the battery buffer. The value Tessie uses is what Tesla displays in the car under value added if you were to charge from 0 to 100%.

But 0% is not actually zero, because you can keep driving and using the battery. You're not supposed to use that battery, but you technically can until it shuts off and uses the remaining buffer to protect the battery.

Last edited:
Ive been using Tessie for a couple of weeks now. I have only used this one and the official Tesla app. One thing I really like is being able to monitor my S without waking it up. I will be parking it for a month without plugging it in. Tessie will show me its sleep cycle and battery level while I'm away.
Follow this link to get a free month. Edit: referral code removed, against the rules here.

Last edited:
Just exploring the automation feature now and it's great! I was wondering if it could be exposed to iOS Shortcuts too? So, what I'm trying to get is a shortcut button that let's me "start climate control in X min, or at X time" in prep for my ad-hoc departures on any given day.
Thanks!

Just exploring the automation feature now and it's great! I was wondering if it could be exposed to iOS Shortcuts too? So, what I'm trying to get is a shortcut button that let's me "start climate control in X min, or at X time" in prep for my ad-hoc departures on any given day.
Thanks!
Yeah, surprisingly Shortcuts doesn't support ad-hoc "in X min" or "at X time", which is one of the reasons for the automation feature.

I think we could create Tessie automations via Shortcuts to accomplish this, but there might be some other clever things we could do too. I'll explore some of these ideas.

For now the fastest shortcut is to create an iOS Shortcut to Start Climate and then tap "Add to Home Screen", which will allow you to start climate without leaving the home screen. You can add a delay/wait in the shortcut but I think it makes you wait with the timer on screen.

Last edited:
Yeah, surprisingly Shortcuts doesn't support ad-hoc "in X min" or "at X time", which is one of the reasons for the automation feature.

I think we could create Tessie automations via Shortcuts to accomplish this, but there might be some other clever things we could do too. I'll explore some of these ideas.

For now the fastest shortcut is to create an iOS Shortcut to Start Climate and then tap "Add to Home Screen", which will allow you to start climate without leaving the home screen. You can add a delay/wait in the shortcut but I think it makes you wait with the timer on screen.
Right... that's been the gap for me for a while. I have a shortcut setup to create a reminder for X time, with a link (url placed in the reminder) to run the shortcut for starting climate. So it's a little janky but kinda works.

5.0 rolling out to iOS, Android and the web today.
  • Get alerted if your car is unplugged after a certain time or under a certain battery level.
  • Get alerted when tire pressure is low.
  • Tessie now supports per minute charging costs. These costs can also be calculated for your existing charging.
  • Get access to the raw underlying data for any drive, charge or idle by tapping ... > Export to CSV.
  • Export all battery health statistics by tapping ... > Export to CSV.
  • Visualize how battery levels affect charging with the new Power graph in charge details.
  • See range added over time under Charging > Analytics.
  • Charging amp settings can now be automated via Tessie and iOS Shortcuts.
  • Map gestures like scrolling and pinch-to-zoom have been improved on certain Android devices.
  • You can now sign out of all devices with a tap.
  • You can now import driving and charging data from Teslascope.
  • Other minor fixes and improvements.

Hi James. Discovered your project through these forums. I signed up for annual and will probably upgrade to lifetime. Great work so far. I have two feature requests:

1) One of the things I like to look at is how much I'm saving vs. gas. Especially since now that I've been charging for free at work. Anyway, it's kind of a pain to keep updating the gas price in the settings, and I'm not sure if that changes all the historical values or not. It would be nice if that price could be tied to one of the gas price APIs floating around. I do understand that there is a charge to call these APIs. Maybe you could call it once per day/per region then your user's price per gallon would change automatically based on the region they are in.

2) Vehicle software version history: When you click on the version on the bottom/right of the main screen, it just tells you that you are up to date. It would be nice to include the history of your vehicle, including the date, time, and version.

Thanks, and keep up the good work...

Hi James. Discovered your project through these forums. I signed up for annual and will probably upgrade to lifetime. Great work so far. I have two feature requests:

1) One of the things I like to look at is how much I'm saving vs. gas. Especially since now that I've been charging for free at work. Anyway, it's kind of a pain to keep updating the gas price in the settings, and I'm not sure if that changes all the historical values or not. It would be nice if that price could be tied to one of the gas price APIs floating around. I do understand that there is a charge to call these APIs. Maybe you could call it once per day/per region then your user's price per gallon would change automatically based on the region they are in.

2) Vehicle software version history: When you click on the version on the bottom/right of the main screen, it just tells you that you are up to date. It would be nice to include the history of your vehicle, including the date, time, and version.

Thanks, and keep up the good work...
Thank you!

1) It changes it retroactively since it's meant for comparison and not historical tracking. Believe it or not, retail gas prices are actually not centrally tracked by any entity, so there is no real gas price API, because nobody has the data to create one. There are state and regional averages collected by the US government and some other countries, but those are somewhat useless since gas prices change a lot even by square mile. There are some local retail gas prices that are crowdsourced (like GasBuddy, which works really well in big cities), but that's it. It's not doable until someone solves this issue. Definitely a business opportunity there.

2) Yes, for sure! This is on the roadmap.

Reactions: Placeman
Hey James,

I've done a lot of reading about your app including all the reviews in Google Play and have a number of questions about what I read but prefer not to post them here. Since I am not a customer can I still send them to you at the "support" email address I saw you told others to use or do you prefer that I send them in a PM on TMC?

Thanks.

Hey James,

I've done a lot of reading about your app including all the reviews in Google Play and have a number of questions about what I read but prefer not to post them here. Since I am not a customer can I still send them to you at the "support" email address I saw you told others to use or do you prefer that I send them in a PM on TMC?

Thanks.
Email everything to [email protected].

Reactions: FMinMI