Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh my. Oh. My. Gawwdddd!! Roadster yum - must have now!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Commercially available 21700 batteries already hold 40% more capacity than the 18650 cells in our cars. Those packs can definitely get more kwh ... but yes I expect the 200 is extrapolating the cell's growth, as was achieved with 18650. Then again, Roadster doesn't need a frunk!
I did some calculation about the 2170 cells and the information we got about Model 3, 80,5 kWh and 4466 cells and that gives that the energy density is the same as the 18650 cells used in the 100 kWh battery for Model S and Model X.

Reactions: Topher
Actually, thinking about it. If Tesla made an actual, real life camper I probably would sell my house. Off the grid living on account of the solar panels on the roof. Able to live anywhere in the world and move round at your own convenience. We’d have to downgrade to plastic crockery due to the 3 second 0-60 but still…

Elon, if you’re listening I want 1% :)

That hasn't been practical up until now - the Superchargers aren't fast enough and aren't positioned to allow big vehicles most of the time, and even drawing the full 10 kW for a long twelve hour night are an RV park with no house loads would likely only get a big class A RV a couple hundred miles of driving range. You'd really need a range extender to make it work.

Megachargers change things - you could pretty much lift the entire drivetrain out of the new semi and make a convincing RV with it, using the megachargers for any multiday road trips and solar on the roof for boondocking.

Actually, thinking about it. If Tesla made an actual, real life camper I probably would sell my house...
Order the smaller Tesla Semi and haul a travel trailer. Limited seating in the cab is one issue for couples and families. This could be very practical and provide increased safety since many love their big rigs for hauling their 5th wheel.

Any body use a semi tractor to pull a 5th wheel

Last edited:
I don't see 200kWh as unrealistic. Remember how absurd people said the size of the battery pack on the Roadster was, and then Tesla made it? And then how absurd they said the size of the battery pack on the S was, and then they made it? Same here. Regardless, they *need* a big battery pack if they want to deliver these kinds of acceleration, to get the sort of power output necessary.

Re, the fact that Model 3's pack can't go over 75kWh: Model 3's pack has to fit within the wheelbase. Seriously doubt they're restricting the Roadster that way. They may also be using a new cell type, and/or chemistry. Taller skateboard = more cell volume.

200 kWh is a lot of battery. I can see it being fit into the car when you use more space and places rather than just the flat skateboard style of the Model S. What I have a hard time with is the weight. The 100 pack is around 1300 lbs or 600 kg. If you double that, you have 1200 kg or 2600 lbs just for the battery. The structure of the car has to support all that extra weight and it has to support those insane acceleration and top speed with that weight.
The current P100D Model S weighs almost 5000 lbs . The battery to vehicle ratio is 1300/5000. The roaster 2 will be a pretty heavy beast.

200 kWh is a lot of battery. I can see it being fit into the car when you use more space and places rather than just the flat skateboard style of the Model S. What I have a hard time with is the weight. The 100 pack is around 1300 lbs or 600 kg. If you double that, you have 1200 kg or 2600 lbs just for the battery. The structure of the car has to support all that extra weight and it has to support those insane acceleration and top speed with that weight.
The current P100D Model S weighs almost 5000 lbs . The battery to vehicle ratio is 1300/5000. The roaster 2 will be a pretty heavy beast.

Assuming they plan on using the same chemistry we have now, you're correct.

Maybe Tesla has plans to use something newer and a lot higher density that we haven't heard about yet...

More realistically - who wants a 1 year software contract for any web project you need to complete? I have extensive experience with over five years at Microsoft alone. I can handle it all - SQL Server back end architecture, middle-tier business logic and c# front-end.

I can make your business dreams a reality.

:):D:D:)

Me thinks Musk is blowing hot air on the 200 kWh figure. I think he is throwing it out there to generate excitement, interest and interest free deposit money, in the hope that the tech will catch on in two years. FSD déjà vu

You can only cry wolf so many times.

That’s why we love Elon.

The prototype they had there was capable of 1.9s 0-60. They were giving test rides. So at least some aspect of the specs is right. But yes, the specs are difficult to believe. Nowadays there’s rarely anything that blows our minds tech wise, so Tesla is hiding some secret sauce or lying.

They’ve never really lied in terms of specs though.

Has anyone been on any of the other car forums (Porsche, Corvette, etc.) to see what the reaction is to the new Roadster? I'm curious to know what those who aren't EV enthusiasts are saying about it (after filtering out the anti-EV FUD, of course).

Has anyone been on any of the other car forums (Porsche, Corvette, etc.) to see what the reaction is to the new Roadster? I'm curious to know what those who aren't EV enthusiasts are saying about it (after filtering out the anti-EV FUD, of course).

That seemed like an interesting idea, so I went Googling. I found a short thread on the first Porsche forum I looked in that was complaining about the lack of noises and the rear end looking Caymen like, and a longer thread on the Corvette forum that seemed all positive aside from a couple comments about price.

Yeah, weight is my concern also. Probably it'll be less than double, and I suspect a lot of the weight will be integral to the chassis, but still. It seems to me Tesla still wants to push the capacity much higher than what's available today to alleviate range and charge-times concerns of current ICE-owners considering the switch (where we know the combination of having a fully charged car every morning capable of doing 250miles easily offsets this).

It'll be interesting to see where the "sweet spot" will end up being in -say- 10 years from now. However, considering charge times will keep coming down over the next years, 200kWh seems too much to me. If they offer a smaller/lighter option (say: ~150kWh) at ~250kg or-so less, I think I'd prefer that.

But then again, a pack like that may not be able to deliver the Amps needed for sustained 1.9s 0-60 runs? :confused:

Yeah, weight is my concern also. Probably it'll be less than double, and I suspect a lot of the weight will be integral to the chassis, but still. It seems to me Tesla still wants to push the capacity much higher than what's available today to alleviate range and charge-times concerns of current ICE-owners considering the switch (where we know the combination of having a fully charged car every morning capable of doing 250miles easily offsets this).

It'll be interesting to see where the "sweet spot" will end up being in -say- 10 years from now. However, considering charge times will keep coming down over the next years, 200kWh seems too much to me. If they offer a smaller/lighter option (say: ~150kWh) at ~250kg or-so less, I think I'd prefer that.

But then again, a pack like that may not be able to deliver the Amps needed for sustained 1.9s 0-60 runs? :confused:

Wouldn't it be possible to just stack two of the existing 100 kWh packs on top of each other to get a 200 kWh pack? This may be a simpler set up than we are making it out to be. It would take away some leg room, but it is a sports car after all.