Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh my. Oh. My. Gawwdddd!! Roadster yum - must have now!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
200 kWh is a lot of battery. I can see it being fit into the car when you use more space and places rather than just the flat skateboard style of the Model S. What I have a hard time with is the weight. The 100 pack is around 1300 lbs or 600 kg. If you double that, you have 1200 kg or 2600 lbs just for the battery. The structure of the car has to support all that extra weight and it has to support those insane acceleration and top speed with that weight.
The current P100D Model S weighs almost 5000 lbs . The battery to vehicle ratio is 1300/5000. The roaster 2 will be a pretty heavy beast.

I'd suggest looking at the S salvage threads. The battery pack IS the structural member for the car. Basically, the body bolts to it.

Reactions: David99
Isn’t there a relationship between battery size and how much power you can get out of the battery? While not stated, the assumption is the motors in the new roadster would need to be much higher power than a P100D. Could they even do the demo rides they were doing with a 100kWh battery?
I’m thinking that they already have a prototype of a next gen battery pack in this car. I’d be curious to know what voltage and amps it is running at.

Isn’t there a relationship between battery size and how much power you can get out of the battery? While not stated, the assumption is the motors in the new roadster would need to be much higher power than a P100D. Could they even do the demo rides they were doing with a 100kWh battery?
I’m thinking that they already have a prototype of a next gen battery pack in this car. I’d be curious to know what voltage and amps it is running at.

For a given chemistry, cooling system, and cell geometry there's a limit to what you can pull safely for a period of time. There are cells that are perfectly happy with 30C discharge rates - but they have lower energy densities and higher costs.

Certainly I wouldn't expect a P100D pack to be happy at the higher discharge rates the Roadster needs. Best guess is that they really built a 200 kWh prototype, but they could have done something different to give themselves a high power pack for the prototype.

For a given chemistry, cooling system, and cell geometry there's a limit to what you can pull safely for a period of time. There are cells that are perfectly happy with 30C discharge rates - but they have lower energy densities and higher costs.

Certainly I wouldn't expect a P100D pack to be happy at the higher discharge rates the Roadster needs. Best guess is that they really built a 200 kWh prototype, but they could have done something different to give themselves a high power pack for the prototype.
The discharge rate of P100D vs the new roadster could be the same. Remember Model S P100D weigh 4950 Ibs. And the new roadster easily weigh around 3300 Ibs (remember that Model 3 only weigh 3800). The powertrain between the two cars can easily output the same power and runs a lot faster simply coz of the weight difference.

Reactions: buttershrimp
Wouldn't it be possible to just stack two of the existing 100 kWh packs on top of each other to get a 200 kWh pack? This may be a simpler set up than we are making it out to be. It would take away some leg room, but it is a sports car after all.
No way that they stack two 100 kwh on top of each other. There are many videos on Youtube that show the thickness of the floor when the driver door was opened. The thickness is small enough to fit just one stack of battery, it is very obvious. Also, remember that the overall height of the car is only 45 inch based on my estimate, that's the same height as a Corvette or a Ferrari. There simply isn't enough room to have two stacks of battery on the floor, otherwise the sit/headroom clearance is tall enough to only sit 10 years old kid.

Wouldn't it be possible to just stack two of the existing 100 kWh packs on top of each other to get a 200 kWh pack? This may be a simpler set up than we are making it out to be. It would take away some leg room, but it is a sports car after all.

Remember, the current 100 kWh pack is a 16 module pack, with a double height section in the front center. So you can't simply stack them directly on top of each other.

Reactions: 1 person
The thickness is small enough to fit just one stack of battery, it is very obvious

From a video showing the floor on the other side of the rocker panel, you can resolve the 7cm/3inch height difference needed?

Also, remember that the overall height of the car is only 45 inch based on my estimate,

10cm ground clearance, 14 cm battery, 10 cm structure for 34cm is less that the wheel center height.

There simply isn't enough room to have two stacks of battery on the floor, otherwise the sit/headroom clearance is tall enough to only sit 10 years old kid

A double stacked battery could be 7cm taller than a single stack if the cells are pre joined, even if it is 10cm, that is only 4 inches. 90% percentile male height for a 10 yr old is 148cm, 20yr old is 186 cm. That's 38 cm in height, torso difference would be halfish, so 19 cm, that's a triple stack of cells. And only if the designers didn't adjust roof height based on floor height. That also assumes the person sits vertically, which they don't.

From Height for Age Percentiles for Boys (2 - 20 years) Calculator

$5000 on credit card and rest via wire transfer.
Yep she let me know day before yesterday. That deposit is too rich for my blood - $5K I'd do or maybe even $10K. But $50 not working for what is probably a 3 yr wait - too much opportunity cost for my blood. On the other hand - this could be a great speculations - early founder cars might easily go $100K over sticker for a while. The exotic market is a funny thing.

Reactions: David99 and oktane
Man, I am so glad it is $200k. No hope for me, whereas Model S/X was within enough reach to make things uncomfortable between me and my wife :p. I'm happy for you Founders, though -- push on!
But what your wife didn't tell you that the real reason she has made things uncomfortable for you is because she is just disappointed you didn't spend the extra money to get an S with a Founder's badge (she'd never tell you that though), don't make the same mistake twice. :)

Yep she let me know day before yesterday. That deposit is too rich for my blood - $5K I'd do or maybe even $10K. But $50 not working for what is probably a 3 yr wait - too much opportunity cost for my blood. On the other hand - this could be a great speculations - early founder cars might easily go $100K over sticker for a while. The exotic market is a funny thing.

Ditto, I was shot down pretty hard too :(

I could do 10K, but can’t give out a $50K interest free loan for 3+ years. I do still have that extra kidney though...

Reactions: oktane

I agree, but would have done anyway it if I trusted Tesla more. It’s a sexy car I hope it lives up to the hype in performance. EAP/FSD and Model 3 are still not close to timelines, so roadster may end up being 5 years or never. I’ve had to call 5x to get $1000 deposit back from Tesla on solar roof I’m not risking a deposit situation again.

I just did the $50k reservation. I got into bitcoin back in 2013 when they were only $80 apiece (just hit $8,100 today) so, technically, my reservation had a cost basis of about $500. (Funny anecdote, I got my first bitcoin ever from the brother of one our forum members and current Roadster owner. When he gave me that first bitcoin, it was worth about $10.)

My wife was annoyed but....I will get so much pleasure simply anticipating this car for the next three years that that alone is worth it to me.

I'm getting pretty old, I turned 56 this year, and really starting to count 'how many good years I have left'. I don't know how long someone is going to have to wait if they aren't a day one reservation holder, but I would like to get the car before I'm 60 goddamned years old if at all possible.

I just did the $50k reservation. I got into bitcoin back in 2013 when they were only $80 apiece (just hit $8,100 today) so, technically, my reservation had a cost basis of about $500. (Funny anecdote, I got my first bitcoin ever from the brother of one our forum members and current Roadster owner. When he gave me that first bitcoin, it was worth about $10.)

My wife was annoyed but....I will get so much pleasure simply anticipating this car for the next three years that that alone is worth it to me.

I'm getting pretty old, I turned 56 this year, and really starting to count 'how many good years I have left'. I don't know how long someone is going to have to wait if they aren't a day one reservation holder, but I would like to get the car before I'm 60 goddamned years old if at all possible.
You are the first person to fund a midlife crisis with bitcoin. Well done indeed!

That’s why we love Elon.

The prototype they had there was capable of 1.9s 0-60. They were giving test rides. So at least some aspect of the specs is right. But yes, the specs are difficult to believe. Nowadays there’s rarely anything that blows our minds tech wise, so Tesla is hiding some secret sauce or lying.

They’ve never really lied in terms of specs though.

Is full self driving a spec? I don't think he's hiding some secret sauce or lying - I think it's just Elon assuming the tech will be there by the time it comes to production - like full autonomous driving by the end of this year.

Reactions: gowthamn