Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The resale market is smarter than you think. It is self-correcting and does not depend on what people know and how many people know it. If the taper problem can't get fixed, there will be an asterisk next to the first 2100 VINs that will mean the resale value is less. It won't say why and people won't need to know why (that it will take 2 hours to charge to full unstead of 1 hour).
It takes a long time to charge at the 90kwh rate and taper. It took an hour for me to go from 50 miles to 230 or so, or about 70% of the total rated range. Anything 120kwh capable can probably do that in 1/2 the time? 2/3rd?

The more it comes up the more disappointed I am. I'm upset I didn't wait a week or two, but I didn't know. I'm disappointed I had to make my decision on incomplete information. I'm really disappointed a few people with VINs before mine do have 120kwh, which means I got horribly unlucky in the random part assignments even though I paid the the same price.

Supercharging rates are a fairly big deal in public perception, more than I realized. I've gotten more questions on SC than the car in the last couple months as the I5 corridor has filled out.

I was talking to someone at work about the superchargers last week as they read about one opening and they asked me about the recharge times. I had to go "well, it's about 45 minutes for 80%, except for those of us with the first few thousand cars, we have older batteries and they take a bit longer." Which then prompted him to ask all sorts of uncomfortable questions: "Is it as fast with older batteries?" I really don't know, close I guess. "Will they wear out faster?" I don't know. I don't know what changed.

I don't think he walked away with a good impression. Given the subject is now a sore spot for me, my enthusiasm in touting the car is dimmed.

brianman good point guess Tesla hopes we will all forget these promises. Would be nice if we were told why all these things were dropped. Big announcement about lighted visors ask about it now and you are labeled as a whiner.

They have given us some upside surprises as well which is nice:
- free supercharging on early S60s
- I got Michelin PS2 tires on my car for free
- haven't had to pay for 3G forever
- haven't had to pay for Slacker forever
- etc. etc.

but do feel obligated to point out the missed promises everythime someone says that Tesla has a clean track record of delivering on all that they promise.

Last edited:
It takes a long time to charge at the 90kwh rate and taper. It took an hour for me to go from 50 miles to 230 or so, or about 70% of the total rated range. Anything 120kwh capable can probably do that in 1/2 the time? 2/3rd?

The more it comes up the more disappointed I am. I'm upset I didn't wait a week or two, but I didn't know. I'm disappointed I had to make my decision on incomplete information. I'm really disappointed a few people with VINs before mine do have 120kwh, which means I got horribly unlucky in the random part assignments even though I paid the the same price.

Supercharging rates are a fairly big deal in public perception, more than I realized. I've gotten more questions on SC than the car in the last couple months as the I5 corridor has filled out.

I was talking to someone at work about the superchargers last week as they read about one opening and they asked me about the recharge times. I had to go "well, it's about 45 minutes for 80%, except for those of us with the first few thousand cars, we have older batteries and they take a bit longer." Which then prompted him to ask all sorts of uncomfortable questions: "Is it as fast with older batteries?" I really don't know, close I guess. "Will they wear out faster?" I don't know. I don't know what changed.

I don't think he walked away with a good impression. Given the subject is now a sore spot for me, my enthusiasm in touting the car is dimmed.

Where is Tesla on this issue? They have to know why this is happening and could put a stop to all this speculation with one statement. Like it or not they should just come out with it already.

brianman good point guess Tesla hopes we will all forget these promises. Would be nice if we were told why all these things were dropped. Big announcement about lighted visors ask about it now and you are labeled as a whiner.

Well, when you purchased the car did you not know? Did you not inspect the car before you bought it? YES, when the car was in development things changed... Perhaps I should complain to Checy that my Volt looks nothing like the concept car I first saw. Oh wait, that would be ridiculous.

Where is Tesla on this issue? They have to know why this is happening and could put a stop to all this speculation with one statement. Like it or not they should just come out with it already.

Yes, they know exactly what's happening and it would be great if we could receive some kind of clarification from them.

Someone posted a couple weeks ago that a high level source had told them they would be making an announcement very soon. Obviously, "very soon" got nixed as they continue to remain silent on this front. Some have suggested this to be the result of the end of the quarter push.

Well, when you purchased the car did you not know? Did you not inspect the car before you bought it? YES, when the car was in development things changed... Perhaps I should complain to Checy that my Volt looks nothing like the concept car I first saw. Oh wait, that would be ridiculous.

When I bought the car it was 4 years away from production so of course I didn't know if it would have lighted vanity mirrors on the visor. If they had never promised it, I wouldn't care. However, they did promise it, even again AFTER I got the car they were saying that they would retrofit the visors and the sun shade for the pano roof. Then they just stopped talking about these things and started pretending they never made those promises. That is the track record of the company. They could decide to never build a battery swap station and still people would be posting that they have delivered on all their promisses.

I believe lighted visors, 4x USB, on-board music storage and the various other things that were listed happened well into production. We are not discussing things that changed when the "car was in development". What is being discussed are promises that were made at the time customers ordered their vehicles, but that were never delivered to the customer. To complicate things further, denying delivery of your vehicle is not easy when Tesla requires 100% payment prior to delivering your vehicle to you. So while you can deny taking delivery of a car without a lighted vanity mirror, Tesla already has your money.

Some customers received due bills for the missing items, only to find out from their service centers that those specifications have changed.

When I purchased my car, handed over my check, and was handed the key, I was specifically promised many of those items were on their way to me and would be installed within a few months. Are you suggesting that I should have hung onto my check an said just let me know when they are done (with updated visors, a sun shade, etc.)? We are not talking about comparing a concept car to a final production car. These were hard promises made by Tesla which they did not uphold. Perhaps you don't remember those promises, or were not involved with Tesla then, but please don't belittle peoples points without the correct facts.

Peter

Well, when you purchased the car did you not know? Did you not inspect the car before you bought it? YES, when the car was in development things changed... Perhaps I should complain to Checy that my Volt looks nothing like the concept car I first saw. Oh wait, that would be ridiculous.[/QUOTE

Jim, Tesla made the visor announcement per George B. What does that have to do with a concept, more like a fact that never happened.

Yes, they know exactly what's happening and it would be great if we could receive some kind of clarification from them.

Someone posted a couple weeks ago that a high level source had told them they would be making an announcement very soon. Obviously, "very soon" got nixed as they continue to remain silent on this front. Some have suggested this to be the result of the end of the quarter push.

The end of the quarter is always an excuse a simple statement would not interfere with quarter end, and yes I am a stockholder.

When I bought the car it was 4 years away from production so of course I didn't know if it would have lighted vanity mirrors on the visor. If they had never promised it, I wouldn't care. However, they did promise it, even again AFTER I got the car they were saying that they would retrofit the visors and the sun shade for the pano roof. Then they just stopped talking about these things and started pretending they never made those promises. That is the track record of the company. They could decide to never build a battery swap station and still people would be posting that they have delivered on all their promisses.

Thank God, I thought I was losing my mind. I took delivery trusting Tesla and learned my lesson. One by one these promises were not kept. I would NEVER have given my check to GM or Ford with items outstanding but I TRUSTED Tesla. Not such a good call as I see it now.

Last edited:
I was the person who just had my car in yesterday at the SC and had it noted on my repair report that I had the older cells and this was the cause of the 90kw limit.

Concern: Customer states when using supercharger, Tesla will not charge over 90khw,
please inspect and advise, concerned of chargers not working as designed, as concerned of
battery degradation.

Cause: Old Batteries were limited based on the inner cells capabilities were less than present
batteries.

Correction: Supercharger General Diagnosis
Super charged car while metering charging input, car is working as designed.

My car is a Dec 2012 delivery and I asked for further clarification but have not received it yet - understandable with the holidays.

With that said, when I had the choice of delivery in either December or January I didn't know that decision would end up costing me more hours of time at the SuperChargers (which I use frequently). In fact, I believed that having held my reservation for 2 years and buying both the warranty and 4+4 service plan (yes I NOW know this is the same as the $600 visit) I would be rewarded for my early commitment and the loyalty which is so valuable to any company.

I would definitely consider this a hardware upgrade. While expensive, the battery is just another hardware component to me. Now if Tesla announces that cars made after 1/1/14 will be able to charge at 130kw, I would NEVER expect that to be retrofitted because it is being disclosed - there is a line in the sand like a model year change.

Unlike an ICE, there was no way to inspect or test for these differences - the interface doesn't show cell model info or specific capacities. We depend on Tesla to be up front with us since they are the only ones who can know these details. You can't take it to another independent mechanic. In fact, I believe we are forbidden from reverse engineering anything in the car based on our sales agreement. This begs the question as to what else is improved in the newer cells?

I'm expecting Tesla to address this in a positive way that doesn't involve me putting more money into the car. I've been more than accommodating on things like visors, upgraded fog lights, LTE (which was promised to me at delivery), sun shades, and crazy rear tire wear. You don't see me on here nit picking and complaining about every little thing. This is different - it is apparent they KNEW my car was inferior to other cars currently in production (and cars that had already been delivered) yet did NOT disclose this during the sale. I most definitely would have waited had I know the difference of a few weeks/months would have meant the newer cells.

Maybe this example would help those who have newer cars see how frustrating this is: What if the P85+ you bought had a different 0-60 time than the one sold the day before AND the day after because Tesla chose to install a slightly lower power motor since it was what was available when your VIN came up on the line? And they didn't tell you that your car was slower, yet charged you the same amount as those who got the full power motor. Not cool, right?

The battery difference has the potential to cost unlucky owners many HOURS over the life of the car - not just seconds or minutes like 0-60 times. And I would say this is not just bad luck, but a penalty for those who committed early and were Tesla's biggest supporters. I have shown the car at numerous events (at my cost) and spent hours sharing information with interested folks just because I believe in Tesla. Even "undercover" Tesla employees who have show up where I have shown my car were impressed with the level of enthusiasm and knowledge I shared with others - down to the custom posters I had printed.

I hope I am not wrong in believing that Tesla will address this promptly in January and would like to ask that we give Tesla a fair chance to respond now that it has been documented there is a difference. Lets take the high road and hope Tesla does as well - if for no other reason than it is in the spirit of the season.

Finally, I want to be clear that Tesla Service has taken amazing care of me over the last year and this is in no way to be taken as a negative towards my local service center.

Aaron