Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was one of the first here to complain about model S communication problems and people literally told me to leave the forum. It is sad to still see Tesla struggling with delivery satisfaction, timelines, and this battery issue. I really wish Elon would say something about communication and then invest in making it happen. I am a full fan boy and want Tesla to change the world, but I'm not pleased that these problems continue at the company.

+1 (I would've just repped, but apparently you can't when mobile)

Such a system scares me from a "completely untested integration" perspective.

- - - Updated - - -

This is where I think shady is the right word.

They didn't "happen to mention" 120 kW charging. They made a big todo about it. They used words like "fleet rollout" and such. Then we later find out "only some customers", and "it's kind of random". And "120 kW isn't really that much better".

If it wasn't that much better then they should have said nothing and let some owners be pleasantly surprised that they got "ninja buff" of faster rates.

As it stands, Tesla used the 120 kW as an advertising / promotion tool apparently knowing full well that many owners would not be able use it. Lawyers use a 5 letter word that begins with f for such actions.

My father would say lying by omission. I feel it was deceptive on Tesla's part. I called California and asked directly if my car was limited, immediately the rep started to downplay the time difference and was not willing to be strait forward. I became irritated and insisted, I just want a strait answer, I was told he would contact engineering and get back to me. Today I got the boilerplate response about earlier vehicles being made with the older cells and the 4 minute difference.

I paid in advance for my car expecting things which were promised. The panoramic roof shade and the lighted visor mirrors not to mention things which were removed from the vehicle as delivery got closer. I have my car just over a year and these items are NOT going to happen, Tesla just never mentioned them again and moved on. Now I find out I can not take advantage of the 120k supercharging. As I understand from the rep I spoke with this seems to have affected 3000 vehicles so piss on those 3000 and move on. That is how I feel. I defended Tesla's move to prevent the cars from lowering as to help avoid future vehicle battery damage and fires now I feel like a jackass standing up for a company which has not been completely honest in their dealings with me.

I was contacted to take my vehicle early and was never told by doing so I would be taking obsolete technology and newer batteries were already made and ready to put into the next batch of cars, Tesla knew full well the limitations on the older batteries they just chose not to let me know. I am not talking about newer updates which came out several months after I took delivery (parking sensors, folding side mirrors or heated rear seats) this was something ready to go into cars built right next to mine. They were just a rush to get deliveries done for the benefit of Tesla year end. That's fine however I feel like the information should have been given to me so I could decide what was more important earlier delivery or a better battery. Does the charging time make that much of a difference NO but what else have I not been told that will come out over time. This is the TRUST Tesla has broken with me. It's my fault for buying into this Tesla family crap just to be treated like the UNWANTED relative at the Thanksgiving table.

I like the car but have grown to not be so fond of Tesla's business practice in being up front with their customers. I would NEVER give them my check in advance again they misplaced my trust and that will only happen once, my stupidity and I am angry with myself for trusting them.

Makes me wonder, Elon announced the vehicles are warrantied even for fire. Has anyone got that in writing, maybe it is on the owners page perhaps someone here knows. Just wondering about it that's all.. Kind of like thinking you have something until you find out you don't or you just missed it by one number.

Makes me wonder, Elon announced the vehicles are warrantied even for fire. Has anyone got that in writing, maybe it is on the owners page perhaps someone here knows. Just wondering about it that's all.. Kind of like thinking you have something until you find out you don't or you just missed it by one number.
Indeed. I have a similar concern. This isn't the first time I've mentioned it; I think it's the 3rd:
Older Tesla's limited to 90kW super charging - Page 93

While part of this statement is true, the other part is very false. Engineering assembles the firmware that will be sent to the car by both vin#, AND hardware if there has been any hardware updates. Some of the latest revisions of hardware will not work with firmware for the older parts. Why do you think that the rangers update the firmware after every hardware parts swap? It certainly isn't for fun.

simply sharing what i was told by both a manager of an SC and from the ownership line in Fremont.

I feel "somewhat" betrayed, although that maybe a bit too strong. What upsets me the most is that as a VIN: 5486, it was a crapshoot as to whether you got A vs. B. I can't get upset about upgrades down the line that I didn't get (parking sensors, folding mirrors, etc) since that was never promised. however, based on Elon's statements about faster charging for all Model Ss, most of us "assumed" that we would all take advantage.

I wouldn't go as far as not trusting Tesla, but I am a bit disappointed. extra time (whether it's 4 minutes or 15 minutes) at the supercharger doesn't bother me too much, but it's like buying an iPad at apple store, but I got a regular iPad while person next to me got iPad with retina display (ok, not the same, you get the gist) for the same price and at the same time.

But more importantly, person who got the B back at the same time as I did "may" have higher resale value. Which one would you rather buy, 5 years from now, everything else being equal? one with a A pack or B pack?

--almost to 100 pages---

I feel "somewhat" betrayed, although that maybe a bit too strong. What upsets me the most is that as a VIN: 5486, it was a crapshoot as to whether you got A vs. B. I can't get upset about upgrades down the line that I didn't get (parking sensors, folding mirrors, etc) since that was never promised. however, based on Elon's statements about faster charging for all Model Ss, most of us "assumed" that we would all take advantage.

I wouldn't go as far as not trusting Tesla, but I am a bit disappointed. extra time (whether it's 4 minutes or 15 minutes) at the supercharger doesn't bother me too much, but it's like buying an iPad at apple store, but I got a regular iPad while person next to me got iPad with retina display (ok, not the same, you get the gist) for the same price and at the same time.

But more importantly, person who got the B back at the same time as I did "may" have higher resale value. Which one would you rather buy, 5 years from now, everything else being equal? one with a A pack or B pack?

--almost to 100 pages---

jchangyy - are you an A or B?

UPDATE: After 2 calls to ownership experience and posts here and at the TM forum, I finally talked to someone who understands how we feel and promised to rely my concern and suggested fix (prorated battery swap with a 3-5,000 dollar Sig Tax credit towards the upgrade). No promise or commitment made--- Tesla still studying the matter.

Also a group of affected owners are having a conference call soon to attempt to develop a united position going forward. However Tesla haters and short sellers should not misinterpret our concern as adversarial. I STILL REMAIN A DIEHARD TESLA FAN AND WOULD BUY ANOTHER TESLA WHEN THE TIME COMES. Moreover, I am very thankful to Elon & the Tesla team (design, manufacturing and service) for giving us the best sports sedan in the world!!! I'm not interested in getting lawyers involved or taking this outside the forums. This is a lovers quarrel and hopefully Tesla will come around soon an resolve this in a fair and reasonable manner. Let's give them a little more time before we apply any more "tough love."

UPDATE: After 2 calls to ownership experience and posts here and at the TM forum, I finally talked to someone who understands how we feel and promised to rely my concern and suggested fix (prorated battery swap with a 3-5,000 dollar Sig Tax credit towards the upgrade). No promise or commitment made--- Tesla still studying the matter.

Also a group of affected owners are having a conference call soon to attempt to develop a united position going forward. However Tesla haters and short sellers should not misinterpret our concern as adversarial. I STILL REMAIN A DIEHARD TESLA FAN AND WOULD BUY ANOTHER TESLA WHEN THE TIME COMES. Moreover, I am very thankful to Elon & the Tesla team (design, manufacturing and service) for giving us the best sports sedan in the world!!! I'm not interested in getting lawyers involved or taking this outside the forums. This is a lovers quarrel and hopefully Tesla will come around soon an resolve this in a fair and reasonable manner. Let's give them a little more time before we apply any more "tough love."

I would be interested in participating in the conference call if allowed. Any particulars yet...

Can't be. I have a P60, # 4001. Mine worked at the Milford CT, but only after I had it configured to do so. The P60 does not come standard configured to work with a supercharger. It's a software update and an additional $2500. Give Tesla a call and take out your credit card.

I sent Tesla an email because I was only getting 90kwh out of the new Springfield, OR 120kwh chargers. I was told today that my car is older and doesn't support 120kwh. I'm rather steamed about that. Nowhere that I can find has Tesla ever said newer cars had different support than older cars. I asked about an upgrade. Doesn't know. Would an upgrade be part of the "hardware upgrades" mentioned in my prepaid service contract? Doesn't know.

If someone bought a used Tesla or activated SC on a 60kwh, would they know if it was 90 or 120 enabled? Doesn't know.

I'm not particularly happy about the 90kwh limit and particularly by the complete lack of information conveyed to anyone about the fact a difference existed or how to find out. This certainly dims the resale value of older Teslas.

He said he'd call me back when he found out more information, but I'm not pleased. I'm seriously regretting purchasing when I did rather than waiting another few months (VIN P02310).

Depends on what he said, exactly. Verbal contracts are just as valid as written contracts, and are quite enforceable if they well documented, by a YouTube video, for instance.

With no disrespect, if Elon Musk had come to your home, sat at your kitchen table and made verbal promises in exchange for legal consideration that you then gave, maybe, just maybe there could be a verbal contract in there somewhere. Sales "puffery" and marketing rhetoric at a press event will never become a "verbal contract" with any and all schlubs who thereafter click on the video on YouTube, especially those who've already purchased their cars.

Our sales contracts with Tesla state clearly that Tesla can make changes to its cars at any time in its sole discretion, without obligation to make the same or similar changes to any other car(s), including especially the ones they've already sold. I agree this is a major communication foul-up by Tesla towards its customers, but a legal problem for them it is not.