Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was me once I got back from Custer, @mrElbe :)
It pained me so much I had to run to the do-it-yourself wash just to pressure wash it off before giving it a good going over myself.

Attachments

• IMG_1689.jpg
    IMG_1689.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 139
Reactions: fasteddie7
I needed to take a four hour road trip from PA to Ohio. Upon arriving and looking at the front of my white model s, I now feel like there are extinct insect species as they are now on the front of my car. Anyone who has experience, are chemical bug and tar removers safe on the sensors up there, or do I need dish soap and good old fashioned elbow grease?

I have a dead moth in my rear light, found it yesterday. Now I have to figure out how it got in there and try to remove or move it.

See if you can find any swirl marks on my last S ... cleaned only with Dawn all its 4 years with me

https://goo.gl/photos/SesbX7oUqD2UmtbE6

those pics aren't close enough to tell, take some shots with a flash on the paint and let's see. more importantly, a quick google will confirm over and over what i am saying, dawn isn't good, if it was they themselves would market it to the auto industry. plus if you wash with dawn regularly i hope you aren't wasting your time with wax or sealant because it strips it right off.

if you want to drive around and have no paint protection on your car and have zero lubrication during the wash process, go ahead, but please don't give that advice to people because i don't know anyone that would knowingly want to do it.

"
Myth 1: Dishwashing detergent is safe to use as a car wash.

First among them is the idea that plain, ordinary dishwashing detergent is just fine and dandy for car wash purposes.

Even in the face of other opinion that suggests "go ahead, not a problem" when it comes to squeezing a little into a bucket of hot water and tackling the SUV or four-door sedan, Meguiar nixes the idea altogether.

"Any dishwashing detergent is meant to remove everything from the surface," he says. "That will include stripping the polymers of the paint surface and the last thing you want the paint finish to be is squeaky clean."

Meguiar likens the effect of dishwashing detergent to what it does to someone's hands. "Too much detergent will dry the skin. On the surface of a car, the same thing occurs; dishwashing detergent actually accelerates the oxidation process when you use it on a regular basis.""

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
Ok, so lets see some pics with a flash on top of your paint and see if there are swirls or not. and while your car is clearly very clean, it lacks the pop and gloss of well polished and coated or waxed paint has IMO. looks good at a distance but could look much better based on the pics you linked.

as for RJ Reynolds, youre making my point. many people will smoke and never get cancer, that doesn't mean its smart or safe to do. same as dawn as a regular wash, its considered a strip wash and should only be used prior to polishing.

in either case, why risk it? car shampoos have a high lubricity factor to assist in the avoidance of creating swirls or scratches during the wash process, dawn doesn't, plain and simple. so for a pennies more a wash you can avoid the risk of damaging your paint.

For anyone wanting to educate themselves on proper paint care check out Adam's Polishes and see the video Safe Washing | The Two Bucket Wash. (I am not associated with the company in any way,) whether you use his products or not, they are great, the technique is solid. many other quality auto care brands will demonstrate the same techniques.

Last edited:
To avoid the scratching, marring, abrasion from bug exoskeletons, as well as chemical usage, try this first:

What you'll need--
High quality microfiber towels
A pot of hot water
Patience

The water should NOT be too hot, just hot enough that it's slightly unpleasant to hold a towel full of. Apply towel to bug smattered areas in sections, holding the towel on sections long enough to moisten and loosen the bug remnants from the surface. After this is achieved, blot--do not wipe--blot off the guts, shells, remnants, what have you from the paint.

This will definitely take longer than blasting your car with a chemical and scrubbing them off, but it is the safest way to avoid scratching and damaging your paint. After you're done, there may be some trace little bug juice spots left. You can spot treat them with the same method, or, having removed all the abrasive carcasses, and your quadriceps by now screaming, leave them for future car washes to eventually wash away.

• Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7
Some knucklehead passed me in a lane full of snow and Ash. Now I have little black spots that I have to rub with my finger nail and soap and water. Any safe sprays or chemicals that anyone can advise to help so I don't have to scratch at one at a time?

Some knucklehead passed me in a lane full of snow and Ash. Now I have little black spots that I have to rub with my finger nail and soap and water. Any safe sprays or chemicals that anyone can advise to help so I don't have to scratch at one at a time?
Clay bar. You’ll want to do the necessary clay bar steps with the treatment: wash effected area with Dawn; clay bar the area; then seal it with a quality polish.