Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On the Road Puncture Repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Youtube video I watched recently stated that tyre plugs were not very effective on EV tyres - the ones with the foam insert - as the foam prevented a proper seal. The video also indicated that pressure pack sealants were ineffective.

I know that Vostok was very happy with his plug repair but I am not sure what type of tyre was involved there.

Does anyone have first-hand experience of a plug repair of an EV tyre while travelling - in other words a DIY plug repair?

Thanks

A Youtube video I watched recently stated that tyre plugs were not very effective on EV tyres - the ones with the foam insert - as the foam prevented a proper seal. The video also indicated that pressure pack sealants were ineffective.

I know that Vostok was very happy with his plug repair but I am not sure what type of tyre was involved there.

Does anyone have first-hand experience of a plug repair of an EV tyre while travelling - in other words a DIY plug repair?

Thanks

Sometimes DIY plug repairs may still leak slowly and I just have to redo it again when I used to drive gasoline cars without the silencing foam inside the tires.

I've been doing the same with my Tesla since 2012 with no problems even with foam tires starting 2017 Model X an 2018 Model 3.

I've plugged the flat tires about 9 times with no slow leaks for the past 11 years driving with Tesla.

Would think foam would make the spray stuff less effective as the foam may block it.

For any proper plug repair is expect they cut away the foam in that area to get a good seal.

And can't see how foam would change the effectiveness of the rope plug repairs
I can confirm the tyre shops have to remove the foam to effect a proper repair. Every trace of the foam and its adhesive has to be scrubbed off at the patch

Reactions: Hairyman and moa999
A Youtube video I watched recently stated that tyre plugs were not very effective on EV tyres - the ones with the foam insert - as the foam prevented a proper seal.

The seal is formed via the plug itself being forced into the hole in the tyre rubber, which is pretty thick. I can‘t see how acoustic foam lining inside would affect that.

It was on the original Michelins that came on my Model 3. I don’t know if they have the foam inside them or not.

I’ve plugged the tyre on my Nissan Leaf once - no tyre pressure loss since. Having done a plug, I’m totally sold. It’s a quick process, you don’t need to take the wheel off, it’s a permanent fix, and can drive at full speed on it once fixed.

OK - my reading of the posts so far :

Only Tam from California confirms successfully plugging a foam-lined Ev tyre on the roadside but several others believe it should be ok. Workshop repair better if possible.

I have plugged tyres on previous cars with good results.

I hope I don't actually get to practice the fix on my upcoming trip down to regional Victoria and I must admit I also carry a space-saver spare on long trips.

I am old, you know - belt and braces lesson learnt on my first car - 1928 Willys Whippet.

Reactions: elddum
Does anyone have recommendations for puncture repairs on the road and outside the service area?
Puncture kits or ones that use a liquid to seal the puncture like this one?
AirMan ResQ Pro+ Tire Repair Kit on Amazon.

After almost five years of ownership of my Tesla Model 3, I got my first flat tire last Saturday by 7 pm while on a road trip.
While I having often being annoyed all that time by the presence of my spare tire taking extra room in my trunk,
but I cannot tell you how much I was relieved to have a spare tire and then to be able to fix my tire and put it back,
considering how much this vacation could have been ruined otherwise since I was far away of any repair shop.

Beside a spare tire, you also need to have all the following accessories:

- Scissor Jack 2-Ton ( because the car is quite heavy you really need to have two scissor jacks to lift little by little at the front and the rear )
- Set of 4 Hockey Puck ( to protect damaging your lifting points )
- Extra long lug wrench ( the lug are quite difficult to unscrew because of the high factory torque value )
- Torque wrench ( Tesla recommends a torque of 129 lb. ft (175 Nm) for all Tesla wheel nuts )
- Tire puncture kit ( You cannot use a tire sealant repair bottle spray if you have tires with foam insulation)
- Tire air pump ( I don't have an electric one, but I used my bicycle high pressure floor pump )
- Digital Tire Pressure Gauge and a Tire Tread Depth Gauge ( to check for abnormal worn out from bad alignment )

Tire Repair kit .jpg lung wrench .jpg Torque Wrench .jpg Bicycle Pump .jpg 1694600450205.jpeg Tire Guage .jpg

I never used a Tire puncture kit before, but the provided instructions were very clear and quite wimple.
The little trick is to insert the sticky string, that you covered with sealant, without rotating the handle otherwise you could break it.
And then when the string is inserted inside the tire, you need to wait a little bit, so the sealant takes effect,
and then you quickly remove the plug so the string get cut in the middle and stays inside.

I have the original Continental ProContact tires with noise reduction foam and I didn't have any issue using the tire puncture kit.
I don't have an electric tire air pressure pump but my bicycle high pressure floor pump got the job down perfectly.
The pump was really needed because my spare tire pressure was very low since I never tested it for the past five years.
Also the pump helped me localizing the puncture, and then was needed to inflate my tire to the recommended pressure.

Last edited:
I cant see how plugging from the outside will be inhibited by foam on the inside.
I agree. Some of the comments in this thread make no sense.

I’ve plugged a tire 6 or 8 times. Plugging a tire isn’t as good at a patch, but if you waiting hours for a tow truck or the tire store is closed, it‘s a really good alternative. The fact that there is foam inside the tire means nothing to plugging. One other thing, I’ve NEVER removed a tire or jacked up a car to plug a leak, it just isn’t necessary.

I‘ve used liquid Fix-A-Flat on non EV tires, it works. Be surprised if it didn’t work on EV tires too if directions are followed. After using the product you’re supposed to immediately drive the car. I’d think the centrical force of the tire spinning would force the product to around the foam. If the foam formed a tight seal to the tire, the tire wouldn’t be leaking. Would it?

• Helpful
Reactions: elddum and adee
I‘ve used liquid Fix-A-Flat on non EV tires, it works. Be surprised if it didn’t work on EV tires too if directions are followed. After using the product you’re supposed to immediately drive the car. I’d think the centrical force of the tire spinning would force the product to around the foam. If the foam formed a tight seal to the tire, the tire wouldn’t be leaking. Would it?
I think the issue with sealant that is injected into a tyre with acoustic foam is that the foam absorbs the sealant and there is insufficient mobile liquid sealant to find the hole.

Beside a spare tire, you also need to have all the following accessories:

- Scissor Jack 2-Ton ( because the car is
Great post.

I’d also add a decent torch to that kit.

Torque wrench not really essential for an emergency repair. Just go for “gorilla tight” and you should be ok.

If it’s a front tyre, you should be able to complete the plug repair with the wheel on the car.

Rear tyre would be pretty tight though.

Rear tyre would be pretty tight though.

The puncture on my Model 3 was rear passenger side. The Beaurepairs bloke just asked me to slowly move my car forward until the roofing bolt was just below the wheel arch and still accessible. He then lay on his back behind the tyre, pulled the bolt out, and plugged the tyre in less than 60 seconds.

Sometimes DIY plug repairs may still leak slowly and I just have to redo it again when I used to drive gasoline cars without the silencing foam inside the tires.

I've been doing the same with my Tesla since 2012 with no problems even with foam tires starting 2017 Model X an 2018 Model 3.

I've plugged the flat tires about 9 times with no slow leaks for the past 11 years driving with Tesla.
I sealed a flat tire with a nail in it, but when I took the car To Tesla, I was told that had to replace both front tires because one had seal patch. The seal I used was fine for a month before they saw it and then they said it needed to be replaced.

Des anyone know if the metal shaft in the plastic handles ends in a metal handle or is it just a shaft and any failure of the plastic handle could push the shaft through the hand?
I have used the 4WD version of the SCA kit on both my 4WD, trailer and normal car tyres. The Reamer handle seems pretty solid and i havent had any concerns about its structural integrity. My kits is pretty old now, probably 8 years and still works (i plugged my other car tyre not long ago).
YMMV if the handle is still the same these days, im not sure. The 4WD version might be built more solid as you really have to lube it up and ream it pretty hard in a thick ply 4WD tyre. Hope this helps.

Edit: looks the same.

• Informative
Reactions: Quickst