Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only 165 miles on full charge in 2018 MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This weekend I rented a 2018 MX to assure I made the correct January delivery decision. I was unpleasantly surprised that the max range I squeezed out over 4 trips was 165 miles. I did aggressively accelerate from time to time (couldn’t resist) & maintained 80-ish MPH, which I know negatively impacts battery efficiency, but is 165 to be expected on trips.? The “Energy” panel analyzed avg of about 345-ish kWh/mile over the last 2000 miles; I’m not yet knowledgeable enough to diagnosis performance issues.

This weekend I rented a 2018 MX to assure I made the correct January delivery decision. I was unpleasantly surprised that the max range I squeezed out over 4 trips was 165 miles. I did aggressively accelerate from time to time (couldn’t resist) & maintained 80-ish MPH, which I know negatively impacts battery efficiency, but is 165 to be expected on trips.? The “Energy” panel analyzed avg of about 345-ish kWh/mile over the last 2000 miles; I’m not yet knowledgeable enough to diagnosis performance issues.
I’m assuming you rented a 75D which has a rated range of 238 miles. So if you’re charging to 80-90% and driving 80mph, 165 miles sounds about right.

If you think that’s bad, wait until it gets cold outside. Cut that range in half.

What was the energy consumption during your weekend?

over 4 trips
How exactly was this? This is the thing we see often from people who are new to this. They drive here and there in short trips over the course of several days without charging, and then ask why the usage looks so bad. They don't seem to realize that it's not just like liquid sitting in a gas tank, which doesn't really change. The whole time the car is sitting, there is some idle use that is also sucking away some energy, and EVERYTHING comes from that same one single battery, so that's not just for your driving distances--that also has to feed the beast of idle drain, summon standby features, sentry mode (security cameras), etc. Some of those can be turned off to reduce that idle usage, but if you didn't know about that, it can surprise you.

And the other part of that is that energy usage is high during the first few minutes of a drive, as it warms things up some. So people do 5 short drives of a few miles each, with the car sitting and cooling back down for hours in between, and are wondering why it's using twice the "rated miles" as their actual distance.

If you drive in a longer continuous trip, it is much better because it counteracts both of those aspects: less idle time, and that high startup usage spread out over a much longer distance.

Keep the speed to 70mph... if you can even slow down to 65 mph you'll notice a nice little bump up in range.

You can't really take the average over the last 2,000 miles for much, around town doing 25 to 45 mph you'll get great range out of it, it's really speed (and wind) that will kill the range.

You can play around in ABetterRoutePlanner for more realistic range compared to Tesla's "max" range. For the advertised 340 miles range... you could probably look more at like 265 at steady highway speeds of 70-ish. Maybe 280 if you slow down a little to 65 mph. You'll probably get close to 300 to 320 around town at low speeds, unless it's winter and you're heating the cabin a lot (a lot of short trips are killer since the cabin gets cold and needs to be warmed all the way back up when you get back in the car.) You could see as low as 50% range around town with a lot of short trips and probably more like 65% of the range on longer highway trips in the winter... unless you've got standing water or snow on the roadway, then maybe more like 50%.

The Model S and 3 are much better performers because of the less drag (more sleek shapes) but they still don't hit the rated ranges at highway speeds. If you plan on really stretching the legs of trips or drive in areas that are often windy and you don't NEED an SUV, you might be happier with the S. On the flip side, if you can charge at home every night, who cares if you only get 180 miles around town. On road trips you should still be able to drive for two hours at 70 to 75 mph and maybe 3.5 hours in good weather before having to stop. A 25 minute stop should get you back on your way with another two hours of driving you could do.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

345 kWh is reasonable, I suspect you were upwards of 500 kWh. i just checked and my last few trips have been about 500 kWh doing about 80mph. like others have said you just need to slow down.

How exactly was this? This is the thing we see often from people who are new to this. They drive here and there in short trips over the course of several days without charging, and then ask why the usage looks so bad. They don't seem to realize that it's not just like liquid sitting in a gas tank, which doesn't really change. The whole time the car is sitting, there is some idle use that is also sucking away some energy, and EVERYTHING comes from that same one single battery, so that's not just for your driving distances--that also has to feed the beast of idle drain, summon standby features, sentry mode (security cameras), etc. Some of those can be turned off to reduce that idle usage, but if you didn't know about that, it can surprise you.

And the other part of that is that energy usage is high during the first few minutes of a drive, as it warms things up some. So people do 5 short drives of a few miles each, with the car sitting and cooling back down for hours in between, and are wondering why it's using twice the "rated miles" as their actual distance.

If you drive in a longer continuous trip, it is much better because it counteracts both of those aspects: less idle time, and that high startup usage spread out over a much longer distance.
Well done, @Rocky_H. Almost or closer to poetic that anything I have seen here in years. Well done. :cool:

I traded in my 2016 P90D Model S for a 2018 100D model X and drove home 210miles.

After a full charge t home the max charge limit was 250 miles. (my S could be 310) I queried this with the app tech who said many factors influence full charge rate, and there was some drain from maybe other apps that connect.

The only app I connect is tezlabs so I disabled and changed my Tesla password for now to stop any parasitic drain.
It has been sat at an airport for a week since the day after I bought it and I got it back today, and yes, drain was less, but that doesnt answer my original question as to why the max charge only shows/allows 250miles.
Can anyone explain at all. I was expecting 300+

I traded in my 2016 P90D Model S for a 2018 100D model X and drove home 210miles.

After a full charge t home the max charge limit was 250 miles. (my S could be 310) I queried this with the app tech who said many factors influence full charge rate, and there was some drain from maybe other apps that connect.

The only app I connect is tezlabs so I disabled and changed my Tesla password for now to stop any parasitic drain.
It has been sat at an airport for a week since the day after I bought it and I got it back today, and yes, drain was less, but that doesnt answer my original question as to why the max charge only shows/allows 250miles.
Can anyone explain at all. I was expecting 300+
That’s a little low. A 2018 Model X 100D was rated 295 miles brand new from the factory. Yours is showing 85% of that… that could be just some battery management system drift or it could actually be degradation (which would be high!). A couple deep discharges to like 10% and then charge back to 100% might bring some of that back. I probably would consider it good if you could get to within 10% of rated, or about 265 to 270 miles displayed range when charged to 100%.

Obviously when driving you’ll get less than that, probably by a pretty decent amount, especially at highway. The X has a lot more drag than the S. I would expect maybe 85% if rated range when traveling at 70mph… so maybe like between 370 and 400 Wh/mi. What were you at?

That’s a little low. A 2018 Model X 100D was rated 295 miles brand new from the factory. Yours is showing 85% of that… that could be just some battery management system drift or it could actually be degradation (which would be high!). A couple deep discharges to like 10% and then charge back to 100% might bring some of that back. I probably would consider it good if you could get to within 10% of rated, or about 265 to 270 miles displayed range when charged to 100%.

Obviously when driving you’ll get less than that, probably by a pretty decent amount, especially at highway. The X has a lot more drag than the S. I would expect maybe 85% if rated range when traveling at 70mph… so maybe like between 370 and 400 Wh/mi. What were you at?
Thanks, that makes more sense, I was thinking the range would be more like 320-330 as per the Tesla web advert, so didnt help my thinking. Not sue whatr NEDC means in the ad.
The road mileage strangely enough seems better than my S, from my "finger in the air test" when drivng back from collection 200+ miles, but not based on any KWH .
Ill discharge and recharge as per your advice and report back . I like the car and have 2 weeks to evaluate it.

Thanks, that makes more sense, I was thinking the range would be more like 320-330 as per the Tesla web advert, so didnt help my thinking. Not sue whatr NEDC means in the ad.
The road mileage strangely enough seems better than my S, from my "finger in the air test" when drivng back from collection 200+ miles, but not based on any KWH .
Ill discharge and recharge as per your advice and report back . I like the car and have 2 weeks to evaluate it.

Did you buy directly from Tesla, or was this a used car dealership that happened to have a Tesla Model X? If from Tesla, that’s fairly disappointing. The NEDC is horribly inaccurate with EVs (specifically that over estimate range by a LARGE amount). They can be like 50 to even 100 miles higher than EPA ratings and EPA isn’t always accurate.

Reactions: Rocky_H

Did you buy directly from Tesla, or was this a used car dealership that happened to have a Tesla Model X? If from Tesla, that’s fairly disappointing. The NEDC is horribly inaccurate with EVs (specifically that over estimate range by a LARGE amount). They can be like 50 to even 100 miles higher than EPA ratings and EPA isn’t always accurate.

Direct from Tesla, as you are probably aware the info is sparce usually to say the least, but to be fair, Ive been talking to a guy at the new dealership at Chester and hes very switched on.
Another questions if I can, which, maaaaaaay have something to do with the battery charge. I am only getting 18 miles per hour on charge with my pod point with this X, I used to get 25 per hour with the S, could something be draining 7 all the time, surely not?
thanks for the links

Not how that works; you're probably fine.

Two things could cause a Model S to display a higher number of "miles of range added per hour" while charging:

1) this number is determined by the expected rate at which the car *uses up* electricity to travel a mile. An X needs more electricity to go a mile and thus needs to receive more electricity to store up a mile's worth of range: given a fixed rate of electricity delivery, an X needs more time to add the same amount of range. Or, flipping that around, it will get fewer miles of range for the same amount of time. Hence lower "miles" per hour.

2) that particular Model S might have been been equipped with a rare (and since discontinued) option called "dual chargers" which would allow it to draw more amps than the model X you are comparing it to. Not familiar with pod point; this could be moot if your particular installation couldn't supply 80A in the first place.

Direct from Tesla, as you are probably aware the info is sparce usually to say the least, but to be fair, Ive been talking to a guy at the new dealership at Chester and hes very switched on.
Another questions if I can, which, maaaaaaay have something to do with the battery charge. I am only getting 18 miles per hour on charge with my pod point with this X, I used to get 25 per hour with the S, could something be draining 7 all the time, surely not?
thanks for the links
i suggest signing up for TeslaFi (they have a trial account) and gathering some logs to share with us

Reactions: johnbol1
Ever seen your friendly local firefighters suit up to go inside a burning building? Know that air tank they strap on their back? They're sold in three sizes: 30 minute, 45 minute, and 60 minute. That translates to 45, 67.5, and 90 cubic foot capacity of compressed air in the tank, at 2216 or 4500psi. Now, think of it this way: put the mask on, turn the valve on, and click in the regulator. Pfft...you just took a breath. How many cubic feet of air did you breathe in? Pffft...how many this time? Things are getting hot and you're getting a bit "excited"...pfft pfft pfft. Guess what? Each breath counts against that 45/67.5/90 cf, and there is NO GUARANTEE that it will last 30 minutes. If a firefighter doesn't manage their breathing, they don't get to take the manufacturer to court and say "you promised me that was a 30-minute bottle...why did it run out in 10 minutes?". It's similar with scuba, but I suspect those bottles are marketed by cubic foot and divers are taught to track their own usage (because you can't just run out of the water when you're X feet down).

It's the same with your battery: it's not about the miles. It's about the electrons stored up with some motivation to do work. Use them too fast and you'll be empty ahead of schedule. That's all on you, for better and worse.

thanks for the links

Let’s assume the S is rated at 4 miles per kWh (250 Wh/mi) and the X is rated at 3 miles per kWh (333 Wh/mi). If you have a 6 kW charge point, the S will charge at 24 miles per hour and the X will charge at 18 miles per hour.

4 miles per kWh multiplied by 6 kW = 24 miles of range added over a one hour period.

3 miles per kWh multiplied by 6 kW = 18 miles of range added over a one hour period.

This is why I bought a 400 mile range Model S. Range is everything. It is even more important when you live 30 or 40 miles from the nearest supercharger or 50 to 100 miles from a dealer. My daughter has a Model X, and gets about 185 miles of gentle driving from a charge. I do not own an X. My wife's 3 at least gets 310 miles of range.

To anyone contemplating buying an electric car, buy all the range you can afford. My daughter drove her X back from Dizzyland with my wife and I following. We stopped every few feet or so to charge, or so it seemed. What a pain.

Buy RANGE! Don't skimp where it counts.

This is why I bought a 400 mile range Model S. Range is everything. It is even more important when you live 30 or 40 miles from the nearest supercharger or 50 to 100 miles from a dealer. My daughter has a Model X, and gets about 185 miles of gentle driving from a charge. I do not own an X. My wife's 3 at least gets 310 miles of range.

To anyone contemplating buying an electric car, buy all the range you can afford. My daughter drove her X back from Dizzyland with my wife and I following. We stopped every few feet or so to charge, or so it seemed. What a pain.

Buy RANGE! Don't skimp where it counts.

185 miles? does she have a 60?