Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario Buyers: Green Plates vs Normal Plates

Green Plate vs Normal Plate

• Green Plates

Votes: 121 92.4%
  • Normal Plate

Votes: 10 7.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend of mine just took delivery of their Model 3 SR plus. She ordered 2 days before me...and I'm still waiting for mine. LOL Weird. Anyways....Not sure if anyone here has experienced the same thing with their 2020 Model 3, but since it is not listed yet on the Ministry website for eligible vehicles (only shows 2018,2019 models)....Tesla was not able to get her a GREEN plate...and only a regular Blue plate. They told her that the website likely won't be updated until end of December. This is unreal. A major reason for her buying the vehicle was to use the HOV due to her commute. Now she can't even use it for the next 6 weeks! I'm assuming I'l be getting the same thing when my car is delivered. I will not be happy.

The federal government updated the list to include 2020 Model 3's on November 4, so Tesla messed up.
Tell your friend to go back to Tesla and get the green plates now

• Disagree
Reactions: corlaandstan
Damn that sucks. I'd drive in it anyway and if you get a ticket explain it to the cop and maybe they'll let you off because you will get one you just aren't allowed to yet. Then worst case maybe fight it?

Up to you, but if it were me I'd be driving in the HOV in this situation 100%.

Second that opinion. Dougie can figure it out when they get around to it. Just in case it is not clear, can someone explain how on another front, Dougie illegally cancelled cap & trade & whether Tesla might sue to recover $$ from the couple of hundred lost sales they had when all the #*it hit the fan in July '18? Is there a place where all this is explained?

Second that opinion. Dougie can figure it out when they get around to it. Just in case it is not clear, can someone explain how on another front, Dougie illegally cancelled cap & trade & whether Tesla might sue to recover $$ from the couple of hundred lost sales they had when all the #*it hit the fan in July '18? Is there a place where all this is explained?
Tesla did end up suing (and won). Everyone who ordered before the rebates were cancelled and took delivery before Jan 1 2019 got the rebate. Even if they cancelled their order.....everyone except us AWD owners of course :(

Last edited:
This is puzzling. Tesla traditionally assigns VIN by calendar year of manufacture . So until Dec. 31 2019 VINs are assigned not like other manufacturers who designate vehicles built in the fall as next year models.
Tesla changed this around Sept/Oct of 2019. They are now issuing 2020 models since around that time. Slowly they inch towards the old ways.

Tesla did end up suing (and won). Everyone who ordered before the rebates were cancelled and took delivery before Jan 1 2019 got the rebate. Even if they cancelled their order.....everyone except us AWD owners of course :(
We the awd people who "qualified" got the short end as Tesla had sent the awd to be qualified. A no brainer from a qualifier perspective. Never happened, so Tesla lost sales & a bunch of us the rebate. We have subsequently found out how "illegal" all this cancelling was ( eg: Cap & Trade, wind farms & solar installs ) while getting info as to the couple of hundred million this whole debacle has cost the people of Ontario. Wonder if TSLA had contemplated a second suit to recover lost sales back in June of 2018. Insights?

Actually I was pretty happy to get the green plate until I realized how the HOV lanes are misused during rush hour. They don’t move much quicker than the rest of the traffic on the 410. Try counting how many out of 10 are legit as you wait to enter. Anyway, there isn’t much value to them if your commute takes you through Brampton.

Reactions: corlaandstan
Actually I was pretty happy to get the green plate until I realized how the HOV lanes are misused during rush hour. They don’t move much quicker than the rest of the traffic on the 410. Try counting how many out of 10 are legit as you wait to enter. Anyway, there isn’t much value to them if your commute takes you through Brampton.

Lol, someone from the other lane (a driver) took a picture of my car and inside of it, I am the lone driver. Must be thinking that I misused the HOV. lol. Green Plate, most don't know what they mean.

I find they are great northbound.....until just before Queen St....where they end....as some *brilliant* highway designer decided to turn 6 lanes into 3. But the stretch between Derry and Queen saves me 10-15 minutes every time I use it.

I find they are great northbound.....until just before Queen St....where they end....as some *brilliant* highway designer decided to turn 6 lanes into 3. But the stretch between Derry and Queen saves me 10-15 minutes every time I use it.
What time of day are you going through there? I get on just north of the 407 around 5-6pm some days and it’s stopped. If I’m on by 4-4:30 it’s quicker. They need some enforcement for a solid couple weeks cause it’s full of people that shouldn’t be there.

What time of day are you going through there? I get on just north of the 407 around 5-6pm some days and it’s stopped. If I’m on by 4-4:30 it’s quicker. They need some enforcement for a solid couple weeks cause it’s full of people that shouldn’t be there.
It's the same on the qew, lots of people who shouldn't be there and cutting across rhe double lines. But I often see cops pulling people over. Do you don't see anyone getting pulled over on this stretch?

I just "retired" so I'm not using it at 5-6 any more. My old office was at Dixie and Derry, so I used to use it daily. I was on it at 4:00 yesterday, and the main lanes were backed up from south of Steeles to Queen. I zipped by everyone at about 115 km/hr, with only a brief slow down at Queen.

The 410 north gets congested from 3:00 - 7:30 every weekday. Poorly designed.

It's the same on the qew, lots of people who shouldn't be there and cutting across rhe double lines. But I often see cops pulling people over. Do you don't see anyone getting pulled over on this stretch?
I've never seen a cop pull anyone over in this section

In the last day the new Ontario plates have been introduced- we are back to white letters on blue plates for the first time in almost 50 years. But where does that leave green plates? Will they still be available? Will they remain green on white? Will they be the same as other plates except starting with GV or VE?

Reactions: jc22zhao