Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV incentives upped to $14K... and decreased to $3k for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this is funny.. my first post on the forum.. and is on this topic! lol..

Just ordered a Tesla 2 days before the price raise and now this.. Even though it hurts the pocket i think the gov did the right thing.. lets be honest here.. buying a 75K car.. u are not scraping by.. if you are.. you bought the wrong car.

I don't think it has to do anyone's financial ability for a six figure car or the ability to buy 2 or 3 Teslas! It's more to do with the fact that one enters into an agreement expecting a particular expense and doesn't receive what they originally were told during the decision making process. Many of us probably wouldn't lose sleep over 5.5k however it's the principle of it that makes no sense here. (Personally 5.5k is like a one week all inclusive for the family!) We all work hard (or smart) for our $ and whatever the amount, it was not in good taste to provide no warning or transition period. In the end I have no choice and just accept the car and enjoy it :) I'm quite pleased on the flip side that model 3 will that much more affordable and will penetrate the market quicker.

this is funny.. my first post on the forum.. and is on this topic! lol..

Just ordered a Tesla 2 days before the price raise and now this.. Even though it hurts the pocket i think the gov did the right thing.. lets be honest here.. buying a 75K car.. u are not scraping by.. if you are.. you bought the wrong car.

haha i agree, i feed scammed too! but at the end of the day it has nothing to do with Tesla lol... i guess we should just stop paying our taxes.. lol..

I don't think it has to do anyone scraping or coversely the ability to buy 2 or 3 Teslas! It's more to do with the fact that one enters into an agreement expecting a particular expense and doesn't receive what they originally were told during the decision making process. Many of us probably wouldn't lose sleep over 5.5k however it's the principle of it that makes no sense here. Personally 5.5k is like a one week all inclusive for the family for me. We all work hard (or smart) for our $ and whatever the amount, it was not in good taste to provide no warning or transition period. In the end I have no choice and just accept the car and enjoy it :) I'm quite pleased on the flip side that model 3 will that much more affordable and will penetrate the market quicker.

If they really wanted to tax "the rich", they could make it tied to the income, not to the price of the car. But that would have been too difficult to manage, I imagine, so they went with the oversimplified and wrong solution. The question isn't who can afford it, but who will be swayed to an ICE because of the $11k.

What grinds my gears is that it's not that they knocked down the incentive for luxury EV's, it is that they retroactively knocked down the incentive. It's basically being promised something and then having it swiped away. I agree, it doesn't sting to loose $5500, but it does dent the household budget.

Agreed! I do however feel Tesla should or perhaps did had some advance of this coming but tactfully omitted this information for fear of reducing their sales numbers. Their team is in contact with govnt officials on a continual basis. Wouldn't be a first for a company to do what they do best and try to continue generating stable revenue :)

haha i agree, i feed scammed too! but at the end of the day it has nothing to do with Tesla lol... i guess we should just stop paying our taxes.. lol..

What grinds my gears is that it's not that they knocked down the incentive for luxury EV's, it is that they retroactively knocked down the incentive. It's basically being promised something and then having it swiped away. I agree, it doesn't sting to loose $5500, but it does dent the household budget.

How do I edit my posts. I meant to say it doesn't sting a lot to loose out on the $5500, it still sucks! It's till money I could have used to pay down some debts. I agree with Cabe's method of having the rebate tied to income. Don't some of the US states do that? You get a income deduction as the rebate?

They call this Ontario fighting climate change, yet the one auto manufacturer which is doing the most in that fight, Tesla Motors, is discriminated against. If you want mass EV sales, you want the Model 3 to come out asap, and the best way to accomplish that is to promote Model S and X sales, not discourage them.

There were some posts about GM possibly having some lobbying success here. Their 40k bolt/volt stands to gain the most from this new rate plan immediately at the expense of Tesla. I'm not sure of the validity of that, but again...not out of the realm of possibility.

There were some posts about GM possibly having some lobbying success here. Their 40k bolt/volt stands to gain the most from this new rate plan immediately at the expense of Tesla. I'm not sure of the validity of that, but again...not out of the realm of possibility.
That definitely make sense. Tesla should have known - we'll have to wait to see how this plays out for those waiting to take delivery.

Tesla should have known -> really, "Tesla should have been told", more likely. I didn't see a single Tesla in the photos of the unveiling, and Model S is ignored in the press release. They talk about cars having 100-160km range. No mention of the 460km range car, no photos of Tesla.

I am glad somebody mentioned they've been told Tesla is looking into this. At the very least, they need to find out what's going on and change the web site, because they still subtract $8500 in the design studio. Or somebody will order a car tomorrow, and then be mad at Tesla for deceiving them.

Wish me luck... I take delivery tomorrow morning!! This should be an opportunity (perhaps to start in Ontario) for Tesla and its S.ON owners club to come together to push back on this. If the stated goal of the ON Government (Press Release) is to promote EV's why take the stance of limiting rebates to the only manufacturer who's qualifying with zero emission vehicles?

On that note.. where specifically has it been written this applies retroactively? I've yet to find the link within the governments interwebs..

There is a by-election in Oshawa-Whitby tomorrow (Feb 11) and guess which car company has a manufacturing facility there :) Complete coincidence that there are quotes with support from GM :)

This is the best news ever for those of us waiting for Model 3!!!! We don't know all the details yet on what they mean by bigger battery size or what Model 3 will have in terms of a battery but if GM is behind this then a 60Kwh battery is "big" and we should easily be able to claim the full $14K!!! I'm stoked!!

If you hope to get a model 3 in a short period of time after release, you'll have to order it highly optioned. This could easily tip the scale to > $75K.

They call this Ontario fighting climate change, yet the one auto manufacturer which is doing the most in that fight, Tesla Motors, is discriminated against. If you want mass EV sales, you want the Model 3 to come out asap, and the best way to accomplish that is to promote Model S and X sales, not discourage them.

Agree 100%! This is protecting Big Auto in Ontario. Who wants to bet that incentives disappear when Model 3 ships?

Agree 100%! This is protecting Big Auto in Ontario. Who wants to bet that incentives disappear when Model 3 ships?
The funny part is that for the millions upon millions that the government keeps handing them, they just close more plants and move more jobs out of the country. How does our government keep agreeing to give them money, without any guarantee of keeping jobs here???

Its an interesting move. I completely and thoroughly disagree with the retroactive part, and feel that you simply cannot do that to people. However moving forward, I do feel that offering the incentive to lower priced vehicles will have more influence to sway the person to buy that vehicle, than the reverse (people not buying a higher priced one, as no tax credit). Hence probably a greater effect overall on adoption of EV's. But hey thats just my 2 Canadian cents, which gets rounded down to mean nothing.

Although I too am disappointed with with the luxury EV incentive reduction, I don't really blame them. The end goal should be to maximize a reduction in green house gas emissions per dollar of incentive. Providing more incentive for a mass market car will likely help a greater number of cost concious buyers complete the switch to electric. It is the mass market car that will make the ultimate difference in reducing climate change.

Also, those that purchased an EV below $75,000 this year must be very happy with the retroactive incentive! It goes both ways.