Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Attempted, seen and my question still stands. The RIN is either your license number OR a unique 9 digit code generated by the system......
So if your question is do I use the 9 digit RIN from the vehicle registration, then the answer is yes. Use the RIN number from the vehicle registration (when you get it). It must match, as you will also be providing a copy of the vehicle registration.

Reactions: navguy12
So if your question is do I use the 9 digit RIN from the vehicle registration, then the answer is yes. Use the RIN number from the vehicle registration (when you get it). It must match, as you will also be providing a copy of the vehicle registration.
@rdturner0, Agreed.

Here is the wording on the back of the vehicle portion of the permit. It indicates to me that "RIN" and "Driver's License Number" may match under certain circumstances but they are NOT the same thing:

DSC08506 - Copy.JPG

Here is my situation, with two people listed as owners of the vehicle and only one person listed as owner of the plates:

DSC08507 - Copy.JPG

DSC08508 - Copy.JPG

Reactions: akidesir
@rdturner0, Agreed.

Here is the wording on the back of the vehicle portion of the permit. It indicates to me that "RIN" and "Driver's License Number" may match under certain circumstances but they are NOT the same thing:

View attachment 302671

Here is my situation, with two people listed as owners of the vehicle and only one person listed as owner of the plates:

View attachment 302672

View attachment 302673
Hmm, they (Ontario Gov) have made that fun haven't they.

My guess would be the one on the vehicle side. The form says "Applicant's RIN", which of course isn't clear enough, and neither of the guides seem to mention it either.

However, I think this is a case when the following instructions from the form come into play:
For additional information regarding this application please contact the Ontario Ministry of Finance at 1-866-668-8297,
email to [email protected]

Do share your result -- I'm sure you won't be the only one.

Shall you guys ask all those questions to Tesla delivery people who handles your delivery? Tesla not deduct rebate right from the payment but they certainly will help us fill the form.

They used to do the paperwork for the EVIP and submit it on your behalf. Apparently due to the Model 3 volume they are not doing this anymore and you have to submit it yourself. I'll try and find the link again to this.

@rdturner0, Agreed.

View attachment 302671

View attachment 302672

View attachment 302673
Actually, I just noticed that in your case you have two owners listed on the vehicle side, and one person listed on the plate side. That might be a hint...

I would suspect that if the vehicle is listed in the same two persons names (exactly, and in the same order), that the same RIN would be provided. In which case, if the new vehicle is going to registered in exactly the same way (might not want to bet on it until you get the paperwork), then I would suggest it would be the RIN for the two persons.

Anyway, best to call/email to confirm I think.

I'm still lost. Let me go find my teenager.
What operating system are you using? I couldn't get it to work on my phone. But on my Windows computer it worked easily enough.
Linux was a different story, but that's possible too.

I would suggest using the official Adobe Acrobat reader on Windows or Mac and all 'should' be fine.

The application process is a bit strange though. You have to fill in the form, print out the last page, sign it, then scan/take a picture of it, then email them that (along with other scanned supporting paperwork).

The other trick is to "print to PDF", then sign in Acrobat (the printed PDF). For some reason they disabled signature in the PDF. Odd, but they did.
Interesting.. i didn't know you could do that.

Question is.. will they accept that???

Would suck if they refused the application because it wasn't actually signed.

Perhaps that why they disabled the "Sign" option

Interesting.. i didn't know you could do that.

Question is.. will they accept that???

Would suck if they refused the application because it wasn't actually signed.

Perhaps that why they disabled the "Sign" option

I think they would have a very hard time rejecting it, especially since it's electronic submission. All electronic documents (faxes, scans, etc) are very easily forgeable (I think lots of people don't know this, because they just do not know how to do it).

Personally I hate it when people print/sign/scan stuff because the resulting documents are larger, unsearchable, and usually harder to read.

Unless they use real digital signing (which virtually no-one does because it's way too complicated for the vast majority of people), there is no authenticity verification at all. Unless you actually see the person sign it, you have no way of knowing who signed it, and even then, signatures aren't that hard to forge -- you can teach yourself to sign almost any signature with about 2 weeks of practice.

• Informative
Reactions: McFlurri