Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@likkuid Do you pay sales tax on your monthly payment including on the interest, or would the tax be rolled up into the financed amount?

Here's a couple images. Given it says "Excluding sales tax" under "Price: $64,100", I'm assuming the monthly amount excludes it as well. So I'm adding tax to that monthly amount. I would LOVE to be wrong. I called the local Tesla and they do not know.

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 3.22.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 3.22.33 PM.png

Last edited:
Waterloo doesn’t seem to have any. With the Nissan Leaf sold out, I looked into the Chevy Bolt, which has 383km range. This is cost difference between Chevy Bolt and Tesla with 500km range + 7K interior upgrade package, both of which are mandatory to order now.

(All prices include 13% tax.)

Bolt = $38,759 after rebate.
Total of 84 Monthly Payments = $54,516
Total Interest paid = $6,756.
Total cost = $45,515.

Tesla Model 3 = $58,433 after rebate.
Total of 84 Monthly Payments = $69,132.00
Total Interest Paid = $8,732.00
Total cost = $67,165.

Difference = $21650

Wife wants the Tesla. Hard for me to justify. Will require further thinking, as I’m not entirely confident in Chevrolet.

The Bolt has a one year waiting list in Canada. They're not making enough currently, and the ones they are making mostly flow to California to meet their regulatory requirements. Chevy has announced they're increasing Bolt production levels, but who knows when we'll see the results of that.

What did the liberals ever do that you would categorize as populist? The definition of a populist in the current context is someone who divides people (using whatever definition it is to define the us vs. Them - usually its 'us' against the elites, whatever that means), and tends to be extra light on the substance of their plans.

So, doug ford "hard working folks", and promise of tax cuts without saying if/what he'd cut or if he'd run a deficit. That's all incredibly populist.

What's Wynne ever done that struck you as populist?
Well at the risk of getting very "inside baseball". Top of mind Last year's Ontario Fair Housing plan. Its very nuanced so I won't bore people here. Essentially it was pandering to their base, populist and not fair at all, similar to a few other initiatives. You can pm me if you wish to find out more about my feelings on this as it's very off topic now.

The Bolt has a one year waiting list in Canada. They're not making enough currently, and the ones they are making mostly flow to California to meet their regulatory requirements. Chevy has announced they're increasing Bolt production levels, but who knows when we'll see the results of that.

Whelp, that simplifies thing. If I want an EV, looks like the current Model 3 package is my only option.

Well at the risk of getting very "inside baseball". Top of mind Last year's Ontario Fair Housing plan. Its very nuanced so I won't bore people here. Essentially it was pandering to their base, populist and not fair at all. You can pm me if you wish to find out more about my feelings on this as it's very off topic now.

Nah, I don't care that much. ;)

It's only populist though if she comes out and says "I'm providing fair housing so the evil capitalists won't continue taking advantage of you any more! I've got your back! Corporations beware, you're on notice!". I don't think she really ever went down that road, she was just saying she thinks we need affordable housing, and was going to provide.

Reactions: navguy12

It's only populist though if she comes out and says "I'm providing fair housing so the evil capitalists won't continue taking advantage of you any more! I've got your back! Corporations beware, you're on notice!". I don't think she really ever went down that road, she was just saying she thinks we need affordable housing, and was going to provide.
I'm in the industry, what you suggested is what was essentially said. Tenants need protection essentially means someone is exploiting them. The problem was very small and limited but was a good populist policy.

Anyways look at any campaign everyone is looking out for the "middle class" against the rich, the wealthy, the elites, the corporations, industry, unions etc etc... Very hard to breed unity in an election while highlighting differences. Each party had their targets.

Last edited:
So apologies if this was already answered here, I tried to search this thread, and couldn't find anything:

For the charger rebate form, it asks you the cost of the charger (line C5), then the incentive claim amount (C6) which is maxed out at $500.

It then asks for the cost of installation (D1) and inspection (D2), with the incentive claim amount in line D3 (maximum $500).

The claims for each of these is supposed to be half of your cost, up to a maximum of $500 each for the charger and its installation/inspection.

BUT, the final calculation on the form is written as:
"Incentive claim amount = C6 x 50% (to a maximum of $500) + D3 x 50% (to a maximum of $500) OR $1000 (or lower if either C3 or D3 are less than $500)."

There are multiple typos in this form (ie. C3 is just the charger model name/number and not even a price), and I don't know how to handle them. Do I just ignore the fact that C6 should ALREADY be half of the cost of the charger (and not that you should take that and half it a second time). Similarly for the installation/inspection: line D3 is already half of the cost of installation/inspection, so why is it asking you to half it again?

Also what is the voltage rating of the Tesla HPWC... I can't seem to find that info anywhere, as it seems to be potentially your choice what voltage you run the charger at? Do you just put the maximum possible even if that's not how it's been installed?

What did the liberals ever do that you would categorize as populist? The definition of a populist in the current context is someone who divides people (using whatever definition it is to define the us vs. Them - usually its 'us' against the elites, whatever that means), and tends to be extra light on the substance of their plans.

So, doug ford "hard working folks", and promise of tax cuts without saying if/what he'd cut or if he'd run a deficit. That's all incredibly populist.

What's Wynne ever done that struck you as populist?
Play identity politics!

• Love
Reactions: realtycoon
Anyways look at any campaign everyone is looking out for the "middle class" against the rich, the wealthy, the elites, the corporations, industry, unions etc etc... Very hard to breed unity in an election while highlighting differences. Each party had their targets.

The issue is that the Left plays the identity politics card non-stop. Just look at Trudeau and all the gender stuff. It's all about dividing us into groups and highlighting differences. Yugoslavia played identity politics in the 1980's, look how well that worked out.

She did exactly the "I'm going to stick it to the evil capitalists" move with the rent control.

If the Liberals really wanted to provide affordable housing they would have significantly increased go transit service and cut all the government red tape, costs, taxes, and bureaucracy in order to allow for increased housing supply. That or, cut immigration to allow for the infrastructure to catch up. (but political suicide)

I’m financing the car through Tesla/RBC and not sure what to put for K3 “Dealer or Leasing Company Warrant”. It requires a signature from them ensuring I have permission to apply for the rebate.

You can leave this empty. You bought the car with RBC's loan. You are the owner of the car until RBC deem you unable to pay for it and sends the collectors for their remaining loan balance.

• Helpful
Reactions: YusufT and TDog
Looking at the Model 3 configurator right now, Tesla has removed the $14k incentive from their "after savings" math. Looks like Tesla is no longer giving customers hope that it will apply. I'm about to place my order but the risk around the incentive has just been stressing me out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 2.20.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 2.20.29 PM.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Informative
Reactions: navguy12