Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over at M3OC, Boshkung17 posted that Dodi Phair from Ministry of Finance wrote in an email:

So it sounds as if the boilerplate has changed, and while Model 3 isn't on the list yet, they expect that to happen before the cars arrive.

Doesn't he say in that email that "Until an EV manufacturer applies to have a specific vehicle added to our program we are unable to comment on program eligibility nor the incentive amount."

That would mean that Tesla has not applied, even though the MTO replied to our emails saying that they undertaking a review process.

This is getting very confusing.

Reactions: navguy12
Doesn't he say in that email that "Until an EV manufacturer applies to have a specific vehicle added to our program we are unable to comment on program eligibility nor the incentive amount."

That would mean that Tesla has not applied, even though the MTO replied to our emails saying that they undertaking a review process.

I had received confirmation from multiple people at the MTO that Tesla has in fact already applied.

"Good Morning Tony,

Thanks for your inquiry. Tesla has applied for the 2018 Tesla Model 3 to be added to the Electric Hydrogen Vehicles Incentive Program (EHVIP) list of eligible vehicles. The Ministry is currently undertaking a review process, and once a vehicle has been accepted to the program, the list of eligible vehicles along with the amount of the incentive is updated on the EHVIP website at Eligible Electric Vehicles"

There is nothing to confuse here. Tesla submitted the application (according to some Tesla's employees and MTO response) and MTO is reviewing the application. MOF doesn't have access to this information and won't know which vehicle is qualified until MTO sends MOF the make/model of the vehicle. Dodi from MOF just provided a general statement (similar to all other government staffs).

If there is enough push from MPP to Queen Park, we may see model 3 on the list next month. Keep your hope up.

FWIW.... below is information from MTO on how manufacturers apply for the program:

Manufacturers must:
• complete the form for each new model and trim they are requesting eligibility for under EHVIP;
• ensure vehicles meet the vehicle requirements noted in the guide;
• provide a production Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for each model to Polk eight to ten weeks prior to the requested effective date in the program;
• submit the form for each new vehicle model and trim at least six weeks prior to the requested eligibility date
Allow six weeks to complete testing work after all information including an acceptable production VIN has been provided;
• re-apply each year for each vehicle model and trim already in the program. Failure to provide the necessary information or providing the required information will delay processing and acceptance into the program

I trust Tesla did not sit on the application and has been proactive in applying for the program. I think, depending on the actual delivery date, Tesla might just make it in time the first delivery.

FWIW.... below is information from MTO on how manufacturers apply for the program:

Manufacturers must:
• complete the form for each new model and trim they are requesting eligibility for under EHVIP;
• ensure vehicles meet the vehicle requirements noted in the guide;
• provide a production Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for each model to Polk eight to ten weeks prior to the requested effective date in the program;
• submit the form for each new vehicle model and trim at least six weeks prior to the requested eligibility date
Allow six weeks to complete testing work after all information including an acceptable production VIN has been provided;
• re-apply each year for each vehicle model and trim already in the program. Failure to provide the necessary information or providing the required information will delay processing and acceptance into the program

I trust Tesla did not sit on the application and has been proactive in applying for the program. I think, depending on the actual delivery date, Tesla might just make it in time the first delivery.

Interesting, I wonder if we can find and compare the BC Incentive manufacturer's application as well to see if required a VIN. Best case (pure speculation here) maybe the display models in Vancouver and at Yorkdale were Canadian production VINs used for the incentive applications by Tesla.

I would say there's a case for getting the funds back. They detailed in the ordering page a $14,000 rebate. Therefore if is it was removed you could essentially say they misrepresented the car. I hope it wouldn't have to come to that.
with a load of disclaimers saying to check that you qualify etc.

likely just enough that the onus is on you. Buyer beware.

Reactions: navguy12
Disagree. This is straight from the MTO website:

To be eligible for an incentive,
  1. The vehicle must be on the EHVIP Eligible Vehicle and Incentive List.
The new rules changed March 9th, so it's been almost three weeks and they haven't added it to the list. I'm not arguing it *should* be trivial for the MTO to add it based on the current rules, but IF for whatever reason they don't officially add it for another three weeks when the first deliveries happen, those owners may not be eligible.

have they ever added a car that there were 0 of in the province? I reckon they won't actually add it till you can order it as joe blow off the street and receive it.

Maybe I should start preparing for the reality of no model 3. Anyone want my reservation? $5, or a Starbucks coffee :D pays for my waiting in line for 3 hours
as it turns out non-tesla owning Canadians who ponied money up on day one 2 years ago, or 'waited in line' ended up saving a grand total of 1 day vs. non-tesla owning canadians who signed up last month. Funny.

???

I signed up on the 5th of April 2016 and I haven't been invited yet.
really?

have you signed in to your mytesla account? I didn't get an email either but when I logged in, it was waiting for me to configure the car.

I was reading on various internetz that non-Tesla owners were now being invited to configure here in Canada, some who signed up ages ago, some who signed up as recently as March 1st.

This is the latest response from MTO that I got with added info on "Long Range + RWD":

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Ministry of Transportation's Customer & Traveller Information Management Office.

Tesla has recently applied to have to Model 3 Long Range + RWD added to EVIP and Green Plates Program. MTO is currently undertaking the required technical work to assess and add this vehicle to the programs. Once complete, the list of eligible vehicles on the websites will be updated.

The program uses a formula approach to determine incentive values for each approved vehicle based upon battery size, seating capacity and Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). Part of that formula is that the total value of the incentive cannot exceed 30% of the MSRP as of the date of purchase/lease.

We thank you for your inquiry and encourage you to contact us in the future, as we continually strive to improve our service to our customers.

Sincerely,

Fran

Customer & Traveller Information Management Office

This is the latest response from MTO that I got with added info on "Long Range + RWD":

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Ministry of Transportation's Customer & Traveller Information Management Office.

Tesla has recently applied to have to Model 3 Long Range + RWD added to EVIP and Green Plates Program. MTO is currently undertaking the required technical work to assess and add this vehicle to the programs. Once complete, the list of eligible vehicles on the websites will be updated.

The program uses a formula approach to determine incentive values for each approved vehicle based upon battery size, seating capacity and Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). Part of that formula is that the total value of the incentive cannot exceed 30% of the MSRP as of the date of purchase/lease.

We thank you for your inquiry and encourage you to contact us in the future, as we continually strive to improve our service to our customers.

Sincerely,

Fran

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Fran

I find the 30% part very interesting.
There are other cars on the list that have an MSRP < $46K.. yet they have the full $14K rebase available.

E.g.
Pacifica Touring Plus: $39.4K
Ford Focus FEV: $35K
GM Bolt: $43.2K
Hyundai Ionic: $35.6K

For taking their time to complete their due diligence, they sure have a lot of errors on their site. Remember at first when the BMW i8 was on the list (it's off now).

There are other cars on the list that have an MSRP < $46K.. yet they have the full $14K rebase available.

E.g.

For taking their time to complete their due diligence, they sure have a lot of errors on their site. Remember at first when the BMW i8 was on the list (it's off now).

I believe Fran is mistaken. The 30% restriction was removed when the program was amended in 2017. I did not see anything stating it was reinstated in 2018.

Also, the Volvo XC90 T8 is still on the list and it starts at around $86k if I recall correctly.

E.g.

For sure. I think this list will need to be updated eventually to favour BEVs rather than PHEVs with low electric only range.