Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw that on CP24, I'm sorry.
I'm actually in support of separated bike lanes. The problem is the horrible implementation and political games on how they are rolled out. Specifically, Richmond and Adelaide lanes, there is a real issue on the right turn lanes and total confusion of who has the right of way. Layer on that the congestion and stress of the City, it's not pretty. The amount of close calls I see are scary.

Another screwed up implementation is Eastern Avenue. Who in their right mind would reduce a major commuter route to one lane (Between Carlaw and Leslie) for a bike lane that only goes a few blocks with no connections to the overall system.

You have to be very brave to ride a bike or motorcycle in the GTA on city streets, it's madness out there.
Yes, a good implementation is key. I saw this the other day and thought it was well done: (hmm.. image won't link here)

Dc_8RADV4AA2vsb.jpg

(from tweet: jennifer keesmaat on Twitter)

• Love
Reactions: pmich80
I'm all about being green, but it's frustrating when I'm being squeezed to death on costs, fees and taxes and have yet to see how it makes an impact to Climate Change.

That's because impacting climate change will require many many small/medium changes that will each cause small improvements over a long period of time. There's no single thing that we can do that will figuratively snap its fingers and fix the issues by tomorrow, but if we don't make changes it'll be a death by a thousand cuts. Encouraging EV adoption is just one of those small improvements.

Besides which, get real -- if you're buying a Tesla, even a much cheaper Model 3, you're doing fine. Complaining about taxes and fees while obsessing over VINs for your fancy car is pretty absurd.

Let’s focus on the topic back.

The folks wanting to discuss the Ontario provincial election should start a thread on the topic.

Do we get the 500 rebate on installation if we do not buy level 2 charger and just upgrade to 200 and buy Nema 14-50.

You need to buy an EVSE unit:

Rebate requirements
Individuals and organizations who have purchased either a new or used EV and registered and plated that vehicle in Ontario can apply for the charging station rebate. You can request one charging rebate for each vehicle you have registered.

To receive a rebate, your charging station must:

• be for residential or business vehicle use for applicant owned vehicles (not for public or customer use)
  • have a nominal voltage rating of 208-240 V (Level 2) only
  • be designed to charge one car at a time. Dual port charging stations are not eligible unless you have two eligible vehicles registered and plated in the applicant's name
  • be approved by an ESA accredited certification or evaluation agency.
  • be on the list of eligible charging stations
  • have been purchased in Canada from a Canadian source (i.e. third-party certified or evaluated by cUL, CSA or cETL
  • Be on the list of eligible vehicles posted on the Green Plates Eligible Vehicle List
Expenses eligible for a rebate include:

• the purchase price of the charging station
  • the costs associated with installing the unit by a Licensed Electrical Contractor
  • the cost associated with an electrical inspection undertaken by ESA

Besides which, get real -- if you're buying a Tesla, even a much cheaper Model 3, you're doing fine. Complaining about taxes and fees while obsessing over VINs for your fancy car is pretty absurd.

I work hard for my money, I find it grotesque to see my hard earned money taxed to death and squandered on government mismanagement.

Using your logic, no one should be getting an EV rebate on a Tesla.

I'm looking at the rebate form and have a question that some of you may be able to help with:

Section C: Leased Vehicles

There is a set of checkboxes here that are mandatory.
Will the vehicle be subject to a 36 month or longer lease? *
Yes No If yes, leasing company representative must sign section I4. If no, not eligible for an incentive.

In my case, I'm paying cash (home equity line of credit). So I won't be subject to a lease at all. That means I select "no" right? Hence not eligible? That doesn't make sense to me.

I'm looking at the rebate form and have a question that some of you may be able to help with:

Section C: Leased Vehicles

There is a set of checkboxes here that are mandatory.

In my case, I'm paying cash (home equity line of credit). So I won't be subject to a lease at all. That means I select "no" right? Hence not eligible? That doesn't make sense to me.

Read the form carefully. Some sections / questions are skipped based on preceding answers.

A couple points --

1. Why is everyone assuming if Ford wins the rebates are off as of June 7th? Even if he manages a super quick transition of a week or two, this certainly won't be the first item on his agenda. He'll want to do the sexy stuff like fooling around with Hydro One or cutting taxes. And even if it is, there will be some reasonable timeframe given for the program cancellation. I'd imagine they'll say "program will be discontinued end of fiscal 2018". Or failing this at least the end of the month. Not sure why everyone's freaking out, democracy doesn't work that fast. Trump has wanted to get rid of the Obama era fuel standards, he's 1.5 years in, and only now is it close to happening. Further, I think there's a strong possibility we're looking at a minority gov't. I'm not sure if a change to this program would be merely regulatory, or whether it would need to be legislative. If legislative he wouldn't be able to get it through from a minority position.

2. I find the political debate here fascinating. Usually when ppl start talking politics I more or less tune them out cause I think most ppl think they know 5x what they actually know, and I inevitably end up rolling my eyes and thinking what idiots they are, how I don't respect them, and totally don't care what they have to say. The debates here, while being put forth by various ideological stripes, are for the most part interesting, intelligent, and well articulated. I think someone should pursue the thesis that buyers of Tesla's, while having varied political orientations, aren't idiots lol. :p

A couple points --

1. Why is everyone assuming if Ford wins the rebates are off as of June 7th? Even if he manages a super quick transition of a week or two, this certainly won't be the first item on his agenda. He'll want to do the sexy stuff like fooling around with Hydro One or cutting taxes. And even if it is, there will be some reasonable timeframe given for the program cancellation. I'd imagine they'll say "program will be discontinued end of fiscal 2018". Or failing this at least the end of the month. Not sure why everyone's freaking out, democracy doesn't work that fast. Trump has wanted to get rid of the Obama era fuel standards, he's 1.5 years in, and only now is it close to happening. Further, I think there's a strong possibility we're looking at a minority gov't. I'm not sure if a change to this program would be merely regulatory, or whether it would need to be legislative. If legislative he wouldn't be able to get it through from a minority position.

2. I find the political debate here fascinating. Usually when ppl start talking politics I more or less tune them out cause I think most ppl think they know 5x what they actually know, and I inevitably end up rolling my eyes and thinking what idiots they are, how I don't respect them, and totally don't care what they have to say. The debates here, while being put forth by various ideological stripes, are for the most part interesting, intelligent, and well articulated. I think someone should pursue the thesis that buyers of Tesla's, while having varied political orientations, aren't idiots lol. :p

You are right.

I said multiple times in this forum that rebate won’t disappear over night after June 7. Because power transfer takes a week or two. But ppl are still anxious.

Never mind to me anymore, I was informed that my car will be delivered by June 1:)

A couple points --

1. Why is everyone assuming if Ford wins the rebates are off as of June 7th? Even if he manages a super quick transition of a week or two, this certainly won't be the first item on his agenda. He'll want to do the sexy stuff like fooling around with Hydro One or cutting taxes. And even if it is, there will be some reasonable timeframe given for the program cancellation.

Ford wants to cancel cap-and-trade completely, which will take a considerable amount of time to unwind - there are contracts in place with (I understand) considerable cancellation penalties. He also says he wants to cancel all of the things the cap-and-trade revenue is spent one, which includes EV rebates. It also includes the GO RER program, which he says he wants to keep, so already there will be some reconciliation required. Also, there is legislation that requires cap-and-trade revenue be spent on green programs, so if the EV rebates are cancelled in advance of that legislation being changed, they will need to find somewhere else to spend the money. There may be ways around that, but it's possible that the PCs would decide to do all of it in one go, which could leave the rebates running for a while.

Having said that, if Ford were to decide to can the rebates as a visible example of "sticking up for the little guy" by cancelling rebates used by the well off (note: I"m not saying that; I'm predicting that will be the spin), effectively cancelling the program by setting all of the rebate levels to zero could be done before the legislature returns. And as for how long that will take, keep in mind that while Ford's competence is in some question, there are a lot of competent people surrounding him. If they want to set the rebates to zero, it won't take long.

Those of us still waiting for an LR invitation in time to catch a rebate might still have a chance if the PCs win, but it might be a slim window.

• Informative
Reactions: wolfpet and tombar