Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They can't just withdraw though - sets them up for legal battles with Quebec and California.

From the CBC article.."Further details about the "wind-down" of the program will be given later, he added"

Guess we will find out whether he will honor submitted applications or not soon enough.

Sigh.

But, why? What's the reasoning? Is it a conservative disbelief in climate change?

It's for business' that pollute. The statement "challenge the federal government's authority to arbitrarily impose a carbon tax on Ontario families", would read better if you replace families, with: business' that pollute (and maybe their families). Ironic, since controlling pollution is what really helps most families.

The statement "we would take immediate action to scrap the cap-and-trade carbon tax and bring their gas prices down" is interesting, making it seem as if the whole process is merely to reduce the cost of gas for people. They are so hell bent on saving people 10 cents at the pump, they've put together a 30 million legal war chest.... for 10 cents at the pump.... People are literally dying at the pumps, oh those poor families...

"No longer will Ontario's government answer to insiders, special interests and elites." More irony, since scrapping the plan would benefit these types the most.

For years I've been living in BC, completely jealous of Ontario's EV program. $14k rebate for an EV? That was awesome! I would have been able to replace my BMW 3series with a Model S years ago but unfortunately, BC's EV program was terrible as it was designed and ran by the New Car Dealer Associations. Not only was Tesla excluded, but the program actually discouraged the sale of EVs in BC after the first 500 were sold ($6000 gas car "scrap it" rebate was limited to the first 500 EVs and after that, people would need to wait till the next year to buy an EV to qualify)

Now BC has a pro environment government and big improvements to the BC EV Incentive Program are on the way. We are also pushing for proportional representation in BC so never again will a minority elected government have absolute control the majority of citizens. It's a good time to be a BC resident and I have a feeling, it'll be Ontario residents who look to BC with jealousy

For years I've been living in BC, completely jealous of Ontario's EV program. $14k rebate for an EV? That was awesome! I would have been able to replace my BMW 3series with a Model S years ago but unfortunately, BC's EV program was terrible as it was designed and ran by the New Car Dealer Associations. Not only was Tesla excluded, but the program actually discouraged the sale of EVs in BC after the first 500 were sold ($6000 gas car "scrap it" rebate was limited to the first 500 EVs and after that, people would need to wait till the next year to buy an EV to qualify)

Now BC has a pro environment government and big improvements to the BC EV Incentive Program are on the way. We are also pushing for proportional representation in BC so never again will a minority elected government have absolute control the majority of citizens. It's a good time to be a BC resident and I have a feeling, it'll be Ontario residents who look to BC with jealousy

Just to clarify -- the Model S was never eligible for the rebate, as to be eligible the vehicle needed a base price less than $75k.

• Disagree
Reactions: richyrich
Every neighbor and friend that I have shown and driven my car with now want a Tesla, so the genie is being let out of the bottle......

It's like watching "Avatar" on a 12 inch Emerson black and white TV all you life and suddenly someone plunks you in front of the 70 inch thin flat screen TV.....

Ford can cancel all the stuff he wants.

Not going to stop the move to ev'S. .......

Every neighbor and friend that I have shown and driven my car with now want a Tesla, so the genie is being let out of the bottle......

It's like watching "Avatar" on a 12 inch Emerson black and white TV all you life and suddenly someone plunks you in front of the 70 inch thin flat screen TV.....

Ford can cancel all the stuff he wants.

Not going to stop the move to ev'S. .......
I've noticed the same thing. The only thing that will stop the movement is if Tesla doesn't last long enough to get the legacy automakers to move along. To date they've really done nothing, just a bunch of marketing BS. Hyundai is the only one in any way serious about EV's, and this probably has more to do with most of their sales being in Korea/Japan than anything else.

Reactions: navguy12