Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think the two are comparable - for me the range of a LEAF is a non-starter, especially considering the likely reduction in winter. I'd be in constant range-anxiety mode! If you don't need a lot of range it's probably a better buy than the Model 3, although still a bit pricey without the incentive - proportionately it was a way bigger chunk of the LEAF price so it's hit even harder and I imagine their sales will struggle now too.

I only drive locally so not an issue for me. Isn’t the incentive for the LEAF still ~12-14K and currently active, though? When you modify online it shows as 26K CDN, so it must be taking it into account.

Even if I were to place an order today, the rebate is not guaranteed, correct? If it was, I’d consider ordering. If it’s a gamble, I can’t afford to get stuck with a car that’s now twice what the original cost was due to the lack of rebate and the extended battery, particularly when I don’t need the latter.

Perhaps I’ll need to go with a NISSAN LEAF instead.

I do currently have a fully Hyundai Ioniq Electric also

I did put a call to the dealer and was told that the govt will pull the plug in September/October and if you made a purchase agreement and vehicle not delivered before the rebate is gone, the dealer will accept your cancelation.

I’ll call Tesla and see if they’ll do the same. Thanks.

Called my local Tesla. They will not match this. They said it's likely the rebate will still be in effect if the Model 3 is ordered today, but they can't guarantee it. You're able to cancel if it's taken away, but you don't get back the non-refundable $4200 (unless it's put towards another purchase.)

I'm debating risking it, and if cancelled, putting the $4200 towards the standard battery (without-rebate) when that releases. I suppose even with the significant reduction in cost of the LEAF, the Model 3 will have far better resale value.

What do you guys think?

Called my local Tesla. They will not match this. They said it's likely the rebate will still be in effect if the Model 3 is ordered today, but they can't guarantee it. You're able to cancel if it's taken away, but you don't get back the non-refundable $4200 (unless it's put towards another purchase.)

That’s interesting info. We are all speculating on how EVHIP will end and what the terms will be for existing orders. Though there’s no guarantee the rebate will apply to existing orders, based on the GreenON cancelation, there will likely be some sort of grandfathered period. In the unfortunate scenario where the existing orders are left holding the bag, it’s good to know we can cancel and put the deposit towards another vehicle. I imagine many people (including myself) put in orders for the RWD Model to take advantage of the rebate but in reality would’ve preferred to wait for the AWD Model. If I don’t qualify for the rebate, I’d likely cancel and wait for dual motor configurations to become available.

Keep in mind the EVCIP incentives will probably end soon too...

Reactions: sitter_k
Waterloo doesn’t seem to have any. With the Nissan Leaf sold out, I looked into the Chevy Bolt, which has 383km range. This is cost difference between Chevy Bolt and Tesla with 500km range + 7K interior upgrade package, both of which are mandatory to order now.

(All prices include 13% tax.)

Bolt = $38,759 after rebate.
Total of 84 Monthly Payments = $54,516
Total Interest paid = $6,756.
Total cost = $45,515.

Tesla Model 3 = $58,433 after rebate.
Total of 84 Monthly Payments = $69,132.00
Total Interest Paid = $8,732.00
Total cost = $67,165.

Difference = $21650

Wife wants the Tesla. Hard for me to justify. Will require further thinking, as I’m not entirely confident in Chevrolet.

Last edited:
Waterloo doesn’t seem to have any. With the Nissan Leaf sold out, I looked into the Chevy Bolt, which has 383km range. This is cost difference between Chevy Bolt and Tesla with 500km range + 7K interior upgrade package, both of which are mandatory to order now.

Total cost = $45,515.

Total cost = $67,165.

Difference = $21650

Wife wants the Tesla. Hard for me to justify. Will require further thinking, as I’m not entirely confident in Chevrolet.

If I simply take your "Total of 84 monthly payments" numbers from above and look at the difference, I only see $14,616. $14 thousand is very close to the $16,216.85 that I arrived at when I was comparing the numbers for "paying cash" for Bolt EV vs Model 3. The $21,650 may not be the "apples to apples" but it certainly may be a valid difference for you depending on what assumptions are inside that number.

Total cost = $45,515.

Total cost = $67,165.

Difference = $21650

Ya.. but your kinda comparing 2 vastly different cars. 1 is a base model econo hatchback (nothing wrong with thay... just saying..), and 1 is a fully loaded "luxury" brand sports sedan with another 120km of range and can drive itself (eventually).

Wait, my math is wrong. And yes, it's absolutely not apples-to-apples. Just mentioning in terms of EV options.

For Model 3: 84 months (7 years) @ 3.9% interest, $60,400 finance amount and $5000 down = $823/mo, according to the Tesla website. I assume that’s before sales tax, as the cash price is.

That would be $823 x 84, which is: $69,132.

+ 13% tax = $78,119.16.

$78,119.16. + $5000 downpayment = $83119.16

$83119.16 - $14000 rebate = $69,119.16 total.

Bolt: $60,179.28 - 14K = $46,179.28 total

= $22,939.88 difference.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong in terms of deposits, etc.