Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you mind asking them when the car left the factory, because mine left Monday (Aug 27th) and they are giving me a tentative window of last week in September for delivery.

I'm not sure when mine left the factory but it was probably around the same time frame or a bit earlier. It seems like a big batch of cars is coming. If you have a DA assigned, I would strongly recommend calling them and seeing if you can expedite delivery (i.e., by Sep 10). I was told that once the car gets to Canada, it takes about 4 business days for transport to the Service Centre and prep for customer delivery. Working back from Sep 10, that means the car needs to be across the border latest around Sep 4.

I think we should not continue to blame Tesla for the actions of the Ford government. For those expecting more hand-holding, remember that Ontario orders represent maybe 3% of Tesla's worldwide sales. Remember that Tesla is going through a ridiculous ramp up and can barely process the cars people have paid for, much less the ones they are "courteously" and voluntarily refunding down-payments for.

I appreciate your frustration, @RossK, I just don't see how this reply is "appallingly discourteous". At most, it was curt, but still polite, IMHO.

Again if you think they are offering a refund out of goodness in their hearts then you are pulling a Rob Ford and smoking crack.

They sold the vehicles HEAVILY advertising and promoting the $14,000 rebate, from sales agents telling you about “actual cost” to website only showing you monthly payment with $14,000 taken off.

They know they could be in trouble either legally or public image if they didn’t offer refunds to people affected by the cancelled incentive (not their fault) but they made their bed by advertising the car with the rebate.

People are frustrated in length of refund timeframe (ridiculous by any standard) and lack of communication throughout process.

$4000 is a lot of money to people....if you don’t think so then maybe Doug Ford was right about the Tesla millionaires

Just wanted to throw this out there --

if my reading of the verdict is correct, then there was never a rebate cancellation or "transition program." That means that the rebate is available right now as it was on July 10th, the day before they cancelled.

The province has no legal obligation to warn us that the rebate is being cancelled - they can just cancel it at any time. It is also possible that they are also not under any obligation to inform us that the rebate exists.

I believe that they can stay silent on the issue until September 10th and, on that date, outright cancel the program. Because they don't have to communicate to us, that will leave buyers in limbo - even though Teslas may very well legally be eligible right now, buyers don't outright know/understand that, so people will continue cancelling orders or perhaps will not submit the proper paperwork before the cancellation date.

In other words, I suspect the province will not make another Transition Plan, rather, they will simply outright cancel the program on September 10th. If I am right, Tesla owners are going to have to take it on faith that they will get the rebate, and will not know until they submit their applications and either receive the money or are denied.

I am contacting individuals who might be able to ask the Ministry, since the Ministry is under no obligation to inform us of anything right now.

I cancelled my TM3 last week and just purchased an BMW M2 a day before the announcement of Tesla winning the suit. I called Tesla back and it looks like they have not processed the cancellation.

I log in to my account and my edit button is gone and it looks like the car will be coming in.... but I can't cancel out of my M2 order since I already made a deposit. Needless to say I can cancel or if anyone here wants my TM3 (build below) we'll see if we can transfer ownership, prob easy to change account details and ownership on website and update it with your driver info. Cover me for my $4200 deposit and a small fee and its yours, assuming it makes it in for the refund, to which it looks like it will. Or I cancel now.

PM me. I'm in Toronto.

Build.
  • Model 3 Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive
  • Solid Black Paint
  • 18’’ Aero Wheels
  • Premium Interior
  • Premium Black
  • Enhanced Autopilot

Cancelled my order 4 weeks ago, called Tesla today to find out where my refund is and they said it will take 45 business days (9 weeks or more like 10 weeks with holidays)

I challenge someone to say with a straight face that this is good customer service...they remove from your credit card with 60 seconds but it will take them over 60 days to issue a refund....

I have an email from Tesla saying that it would be back on my card in 3 weeks, now they say 9 weeks....that good customer service??

Tesla buyers suing the government not Tesla. I think a case could be made that unlawful order made buyers cancel.

I'm not a lawyer but I think what @felixculpas is saying is that buyers that cancelled were made whole by Tesla providing full refunds. Therefore they haven't actually lost anything aside from the opportunity to save money on a purchase. Doesn't sound like grounds for a lawsuit.

This is what I alluded to a couple of hours ago. They can probably now formulate whatever policy they want as long as it's applied indiscriminately...and publicize it or not bother.

It's a little more complex than that. They can't legally exclude Tesla from the rebate at this point unless they also exclude a number of other models. Doing so would get them sued by the traditional auto makers they have been trying to support. I don't believe they'll cancel it earlier than their original date - September 10 - for the same reason; car dealers could sue, especially if they had private assurances that they'd have time to move the EVs they ordered to take advantage of the "transition plan."

What they can do is just leave it status quo - all cars already on the approval list (including the RWD Model 3) are available, get your forms in before the cancellation - and not tell anyone until they cancel. It would be dirty pool, but they could do it.

For what it's worth, a journalist I've spoken with on the issue believes that the government will announce something by the end of this week, and that they are not appealing the verdict.

What people really aught to do is contact a dealership that's selling EVs that are eligible for the rebate and ask them if they can still get the discount if they came in. Because if the Ministry has informed anybody, it's their dealership buddies. Unfortunately, I can't call anyone right now, because I'm the States for the next two days.

Cancelled my order 4 weeks ago, called Tesla today to find out where my refund is and they said it will take 45 business days (9 weeks or more like 10 weeks with holidays)

I challenge someone to say with a straight face that this is good customer service...they remove from your credit card with 60 seconds but it will take them over 60 days to issue a refund....

I have an email from Tesla saying that it would be back on my card in 3 weeks, now they say 9 weeks....that good customer service??

I received an email last week asking where they can send the cheque to because they couldn't do a refund on the credit card. Yesterday, I got the refund cheque for only $1,000.... Where the heck is my other $3,200? I agree, it has been a massive confusion with Tesla customer service!

I received an email last week asking where they can send the cheque to because they couldn't do a refund on the credit card. Yesterday, I got the refund cheque for only $1,000.... Where the heck is my other $3,200? I agree, it has been a massive confusion with Tesla customer service!

They genuinely don’t seem to even know in some cases how much you’re owed or how they will get money back to you.

I’ve never heard of another company offering a refund to a customer that would take more then one week.

And there excuse is oh we’ve had a lot of people cancel....that makes you feel good about it

It's a little more complex than that. They can't legally exclude Tesla from the rebate at this point unless they also exclude a number of other models. Doing so would get them sued by the traditional auto makers they have been trying to support. I don't believe they'll cancel it earlier than their original date - September 10 - for the same reason; car dealers could sue, especially if they had private assurances that they'd have time to move the EVs they ordered to take advantage of the "transition plan."

What they can do is just leave it status quo - all cars already on the approval list (including the RWD Model 3) are available, get your forms in before the cancellation - and not tell anyone until they cancel. It would be dirty pool, but they could do it.

For what it's worth, a journalist I've spoken with on the issue believes that the government will announce something by the end of this week, and that they are not appealing the verdict.

What people really aught to do is contact a dealership that's selling EVs that are eligible for the rebate and ask them if they can still get the discount if they came in. Because if the Ministry has informed anybody, it's their dealership buddies. Unfortunately, I can't call anyone right now, because I'm the States for the next two days.

Depends how badly the other car dealers/mfg's want to see Tesla burn. Every loss of Tesla's is like 1/100th of a loss for everyone else based on the number of vehicles impacted and the ability to absorb the hit and the ensuing logistics.

An appeal would play right into Tesla's hands. There will be no appeal unless they are wanting the practice for all their other lawsuits :)

The media needs to push the MTO for a statement.

I cancelled my TM3 last week and just purchased an BMW M2 a day before the announcement of Tesla winning the suit. I called Tesla back and it looks like they have not processed the cancellation.

I log in to my account and my edit button is gone and it looks like the car will be coming in.... but I can't cancel out of my M2 order since I already made a deposit. Needless to say I can cancel or if anyone here wants my TM3 (build below) we'll see if we can transfer ownership, prob easy to change account details and ownership on website and update it with your driver info. Cover me for my $4200 deposit and a small fee and its yours, assuming it makes it in for the refund, to which it looks like it will. Or I cancel now.

PM me. I'm in Toronto.

Build.
  • Solid Black Paint
  • 18’’ Aero Wheels
  • Premium Interior
  • Premium Black
  • Enhanced Autopilot
M2.. nice.

Exact same thing happened to me! I received my $1000 cheque yesterday, but was expecting $4200 since I had the same story with refunding the card. I called in last night and rep said I should see the remaining $3200 show up on my card by the end of the week and if I don't to call back in next week.

They genuinely don’t seem to even know in some cases how much you’re owed or how they will get money back to you.

I’ve never heard of another company offering a refund to a customer that would take more then one week.

And there excuse is oh we’ve had a lot of people cancel....that makes you feel good about it
The majority of your posts appear to complain about Tesla customer service and what you believe is an excessive amount of time to receive your refund. Perhaps create another thread for this topic.

PM me. I'm in Toronto.

Build.
  • Solid Black Paint
  • 18’’ Aero Wheels
  • Premium Interior
  • Premium Black
  • Enhanced Autopilot

Perhaps you could have sought some legal advise about cancelling the BMW order. I would at least have called BMW corporate.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
I'm curious as to the configurations of the deliveries right now.

Can people that just got delivered or scheduled to get delivered reveal what configurations they chose?

Just helps me understand if I got skipped over or my exact configuration just hasn't been shipped yet.